Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK, long shot here but...

Options
  • 08-12-2012 12:47pm
    Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember a café/restaurant that was on Grafton Street called Johnathan's back in the late 70's..?

It was located near Burgerland, opposite Switzers or thereabouts.

It always seemed exotic to my 6yr old eyes and the pancakes they did were sublime...:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i remember jonathans in the ilac, a kind of upstairs place. i think there may have been one in the irish life as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

i remember jonathans in the ilac, a kind of upstairs place. i think there may have been one in the irish life as well

Was that the place that used to do sundaes with sparklers in them? I thought they were amazing.

My aunt used to bring me there when I was a kid in the mid-80's.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Yes, I'd forgotton that.

There probably was a connection as the Ilac was opened in the early 80's. However I don't think the Jonathans on Grafton Street was still open then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Aww I remember Johnathans in the Ilac, what a place. Their ice cream floats were awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Wow. I remember the one in the ILAC Center. T'was fablis ! Back in the mid 80's, my sister was brought there on her 18th birthday by the parental units. It was just that fancy. Imagine telling an 18 year old these days that you are taking them out for ice cream for her birthday. You'd be laughed out of it ! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It was located near Burgerland
    There was one beside Burgerland in O'Connell Street.

GS068_Jonathanspreview.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Jeez, O'Connell Street looks well in that photo! Nice pavings and shop fronts... Shame for all the neglect and tack that crept in over the years.

So what happened to this Jonathans in the end? Sounds like a cool place. Never heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I remember the place in the Ilac as being The Soda Fountain - half way up the stairs to the library. They did fabulous ice-cream floats.

I remember Jonathon's in the Ilac as being an upstairs coffee shop, but I don't remember any ice-cream sodas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im going to do a little digging and report back, a collegue of mine ran the old hotpot cafe on the quays beside bermingham cameras back in the day so he may have info.
    its hard to get him sober on a sat night though so ill ring him tomorrow and try get some info for you op

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

There was one beside Burgerland in O'Connell Street.

GS068_Jonathanspreview.jpg

That signage and font etc is def the same as the one that was in the Ilac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Does anyone remember a café/restaurant that was on Grafton Street called Johnathan's back in the late 70's..?

It was located near Burgerland, opposite Switzers or thereabouts.

It always seemed exotic to my 6yr old eyes and the pancakes they did were sublime...:)

Burgerland were never on Grafton Street, The Dublin branches were Baggot Street, PowersCourt Town House Centre and O'Connell Street.

Burgerland were never on Grafton Street, The Dublin branches were Baggot Street, PowersCourt Town House Centre and O'Connell Street.

Must be King Burger then..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I remember the place in the Ilac as being The Soda Fountain - half way up the stairs to the library. They did fabulous ice-cream floats.

That's the one I'm thinking of.

Fond memories of being taken there. I think we went after seeing Tron in the cinema once. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Must be King Burger then..?

BurgerKing were (still are) at the Top of Grafton Street,

King Burger were in ILAC, Talbot Street and maybe O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

EDIT - brain not switched on!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

BurgerKing were (still are) at the Top of Grafton Street,

King Burger were in ILAC, Talbot Street and maybe O'Connell Street.

Ah King Burger - remember them well - used to be in ILAC were McDonalds are now

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Janey_Mac

The cafe upstairs in the Ilac- was there an animatronic scarecrow eating a carrot?

If I remember correctly the McDonalds on Grafton Street was the first one in Dublin and probably the country.

Does anyone remember the wall sized photographs of Chinese people eating in their McDonalds restaurants? It was very exotic to my 6/7yr old eyes...:D

Advertisement