Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice in choosing the right set of weights?

• 08-12-2012 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi I've never before had a set. Am a slim,fit 5 9' female but who needs to build up strength in her arms. Have been using water bottles for the past 6 weeks or so,yes I was that week that even lifting a bottle of mouthwash was hurting. Now the weakness has gone and I want to develope strength,just so that I'm ok with day to day activities.

Anyway how should I choose weights? should they feel very heavy or only moderately heavy? should lifting them be a real challenge or only a small one? heard argos can be good,any recommendations?.

Thanks and merry christmas to all.

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

You can either get adjustable ones or a set of different weight amounts usually starting about 3kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Could save yourself some money and look to do some pressups which might be more beneficial overall.
    If strength is a real issue you could start with doing "standing" pressups.
    Where you lean against a wall at an angle and use pressup technique to push away from the wall.
    then you could progress to doing pressups from knees before moving onto the traditional type.

just a thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 HHtraining

Buy a kettlebell, start with a low weight. Sell each one as you progress and buy a heavier one.

Www.d8fitness.com

These guys are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Could save yourself some money and look to do some pressups which might be more beneficial overall.
    If strength is a real issue you could start with doing "standing" pressups.
    Where you lean against a wall at an angle and use pressup technique to push away from the wall.
    then you could progress to doing pressups from knees before moving onto the traditional type.

just a thought..

I agree with this, I think working on press ups will be far better. It works on more areas and it will bring wider results.

Advertisement