Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Christmas Special - "The Snowmen"

• 08-12-2012 2:55pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I figure with the early - mostly spoiler-free - reviews coming in, now is a good time to start the thread for the Christmas Special.

Happily, initial reviews seem generally positive - and as one can imagine tend to focus on the introduction of Clara (described as 'bippity-boppity' in one review, ha love it). Given how rubbish many of the Xmas stories have tended to be, it'd be nice if this years was actually fun

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

pixelburp wrote: »
    Given how rubbish many of the Xmas stories have tended to be, it'd be nice if this years was actually fun
    Trailer
    Man-eating snow
    - fun, fun, fun :D

Well it can't be any worse than last year's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Surprised no one's mentioned the really early air time for this, 5:15pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

flazio wrote: »
    Surprised no one's mentioned the really early air time for this, 5:15pm

Feck off!!

Ah here my turkey won't even be settled in my stomach by that stage.

Looking forward to this. Some nice ideas but I'm extremely wary of Christmas specials since Tennant left. They haven't been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Looks scary enough for me - well in my inebriated state at that time of day it will;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Some nice ideas but I'm extremely wary of Christmas specials since Tennant left. They haven't been great.
    I absolutely loved A Christmas Carol!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Basq wrote: »

Me too. Watched it again recently, the song in it is really gorgeous.

Wasn't wild gone on Tennant's ones after the first one.

Can't wait for the Snowmen. The exterior of the Tardis looks a state; he hasn't been taking care of her. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Basq wrote: »

Yeah I actually think that one was the strongest of the lot; the very first was ok, the rest of Tennant's were pretty awful after that. A Christmas Carol was fun though, the faux-Victorian setting sat well & even the silly sky-sharks kinda worked. From what I can see, this year actually seems to be a retread of the same ideas - with the Doctor being the Scrooge figure this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Me too. Watched it again recently, the song in it is really gorgeous.

Wasn't wild gone on Tennant's ones after the first one.

Can't wait for the Snowmen. The exterior of the Tardis looks a state; he hasn't been taking care of her. :(
    The interior is getting a make over it seems...new console room ahoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

And Neil Gaiman has penned an episode for next season... wonder if he'll be responsible for that?
    he does write about the Tardis beautifully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Sleepy wrote: »
    And Neil Gaiman has penned an episode for next season... wonder if he'll be responsible for that?
    he does write about the Tardis beautifully
    Probably not, his story features the
    Cybermen, with a brand new redesign that looks like a cross between the Classic and New Series' designs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Daemos wrote: »
    Probably not, his story features the
    Cybermen, with a brand new redesign that looks like a cross between the Classic and New Series' designs

Well it cannot be any worse than
    Closing Time
    - in general since WHO returned the
    cybermen
    stories have been very average.

As have the Xmas specials in gerneral. Only Invasion and EOT did it for me, last year's was rubbish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ebbsy wrote: »
    Well it cannot be any worse than
    Closing Time
    - in general since WHO returned the
    cybermen
    stories have been very average.

As have the Xmas specials in gerneral. Only Invasion and EOT did it for me, last year's was rubbish.
    End of Time, really? I would have had that pegged as one of the worse Who stories, xmas or otherwise!

pixelburp wrote: »
    End of Time, really? I would have had that pegged as one of the worse Who stories, xmas or otherwise!

Mmmmmmmmm.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

No seriously the End of Time is pretty poor tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think EoT's ending is one of about 3 things in life that'll make me rage at the mere mention. The bloody 'new man running off' jazz, and the fact it put such a downer on Smith's debut and somehow managing to drag 10's departure down by about 200 levels, by robbing the loss of any tragedy at all, as his perpetually teary expression drained the bit of anything remotely approaching relatability, leaving you as though there was no point mourning his going, as he'd spent far too much time doing it himself.

Not to mention, it's in complete contrast to the Doctor that'd spent much of his time as 10, or any other incarnation, gladly volunteering himself for death, without so much as a lowered tone, once it served a greater good. Granted, it was just to save Wilfred in the end, but if I'd been in Mott's position, I'd have gladly gone if I'd known the chap saving me was going to labour the point of doing so.

I don't often leave 'it's only a show' territory, but my word, how in the name of all that's treasurable did that ending get a nod of approval? I get that it was an end of a very successful era for Who, but wasn't there someone in the BBC who felt this might just put a bit too much of a dampener on things?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No seriously the End of Time is pretty poor tv.
    Thank you! and+1000 DD. While I can kinda understand it was the end of the reboot/RTD era and there was going to be a new gang in town, it came across as a massively self indulgent lovey fest of departing players/end of an era(cue LOUD RTD music) in the franchise with more than a hint of attempting to sour the milk for those coming after. As Mr.Saturn said it put a right downer on Smiths debut, which IMH was shabby. The fact that he survived it and went on to do so well and so did the team shows them in a bloody good light. I say this as someone who was not a fan of Smith in the part, though again IMH he's defo grown into it and gotten much better as an actor.

I remember back in the day when Tom Baker's doctor left. Another "end of era" job and the oddest regen of the lot in a few ways. The New doctor watching like a wraith from a distance and all that. The end of era type transitions can be messy.

Plus the story itself was daft in so many places and a real waste of the acting talent on display. The "new man running off" part didn't throw me that much TBH. Actually I thought it could have been made more interesting than it was. An insight into what actually happens to him, to his consciousness and all that. I even remember wondering about that when I was a kid. Did "he" die, but the Doctor and his memories live on kinda thing? I was an odd kid :D It was kinda refered to when Ecclestons Doctor regenerates. Doesn't he say to Rose something like "maybe you'll have new adventures and maybe I will too, but not with these eyes"?

Things like him freefalling at high speed from a diving spacecraft through a glass roof and only getting a few scratches was risible. Tom Bakers Doc fell off a radio mast and that did him in. :) Then again while I give full props to RTD rebooting the story(and personally found him better at writing relationship stuff) the "specials" with him at the helm were nearly always hugely overblown and full of plotholes and clumsy tying up of loose ends. The Tardis towing the earth at the end of "The Stolen Earth" was another embarrassing moment. I reckon the current crew if they had been there from the start would have given us a better Doctor overall(and nine would have likely stayed on for longer and ten would have been dialed back)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

New minisode posted today.

Looks like a new TARDIS room isn't the only change - we're getting a new theme-tune & title sequence to boot:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Revamped-Theme-Tune-and-Opening-Title-Sequence

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cool. Can't wait to hear it PB. :) I have to say for me anyway, the one thing that was defo better in the RTD era was the theme tune and the title sequence too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

flazio wrote: »

I love her face in the preview still. lol
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Cool. Can't wait to hear it PB. :) I have to say for me anyway, the one thing that was defo better in the RTD era was the theme tune and the title sequence too.

Wearing my musician hat, I much prefer the Matt Smith version, not because I believe it's better musically (it's not) but it harkens back to the original with it's theremin like instrument buzzing away.

The Doctor Who theme is an important one in the history of electronic music and it makes me sad when that's not recognised, even a little :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

That console room is badass. His costume is baddass. I hope both get kept.

Hmmm I dunno, I think it looks a little cold, if not bland? The design of the previous console was a bit overly kooky, but I liked the warm colours & organic feel of the interior.

I'll reserve judgement until the Christmas special and the new series proper, I mean even the current console room managed to look real cold in Amy's Choice, but it does look too space shippy, the TARDIS is meant to be the Doctor's home, not his car, it also looks a lot smaller, and the floor is really dull. Not sold on it yet but I'll wait and see until it's seen on air, just 6 more sleeps to go folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Anyone know what time it's likely to be available on iplayer? Won't be able to watch it when it's on, and if I tape it I'll need to wait till the TV is free

Hopefully this years special is not another Voyage/Next Doctor/2011 - they really should just do a normal episode like Invasion rather than stick a few Xmas trees on a nothing script.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I like the new console room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

well then, who is clara oswyn oswald

that wasn't too bad as far as christmas specials go

I have to say I really enjoyed that one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Wraps up one mystery by making a even bigger one! well played moffat well played :D Loving this clara story line, new console room is rather snazzy :D and as always bowties are cool :D

Advertisement