Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Christmas Special - "The Snowmen"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

missed the first 15 mins, balls, thought it was 5.45

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

I enjoyed that and the Clara storyline will be very interesting :)

the new intro has a very retro feel to it i like it,

Is Clara Sean Bean in disguise?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

Is it repeated anywhere tonight??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

New titles, OK.
    New theme tune, not all that different from the old one, in fact I don't think they updated it for the closing titles.
    New companion, we don't know yet cos this one
    died again
    New Console room, way too small,
    Story, decent but confusing ending.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

allanb49 wrote: »
    Is Clara Sean Bean in disguise?

Nah, it's more likely Rory...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Is it repeated anywhere tonight??

Its on BBC3 tomorrow at 8

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

flazio wrote: »
    New titles, OK.
    New theme tune, not all that different from the old one, in fact I don't think they updated it for the closing titles.
    New companion, we don't know yet cos this one
    died again[/spoiler
    New Console room, way too small,
    Story, decent but confusing ending.

Did you not see the trailers at the end for the new series (or continuation)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NaNaNa1

Well Matt Smith did say once before that he was up for a Sherlock cross over... I guess Steven Moffat ha to eventually throw Holmes in.....

NaNaNa1 wrote: »
    Well Matt Smith did say once before that he was up for a Sherlock cross over... I guess Steven Moffat ha to eventually throw Holmes in.....
    Well there was a scene in 'A Christmas Carol' where the Doctor was taking in everything around him to paint a picture of what sort of man Kazrim Sardick was, which in the way it was filmed and edited really looked like a nod to 'Sherlock'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

I'm pretty sure I also saw
    Cassandra
    in the series highlight clip so that makes it all the more interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Rather enjoyable and fairly good scene setting for the next season. Methinks went a tad oddish condemning Victorian values, if I stumbled into an earnest docudrama in one scene, but apart from that much better the previous year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It wasn't actually a standalone episode like previous specials. Sets up the next season nicely. I'll probably rewatch it when I sober up.

I'm pretty sure I also saw
    Cassandra
    in the series highlight clip so that makes it all the more interesting.
    If you mean the woman who says 'She's rather pretty isn't she' thats not Zoe Wannamaker, ie the woman who played Cassandra in Series 1 and 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

flazio wrote: »
    If you mean the woman who says 'She's rather pretty isn't she' thats not Zoe Wannamaker, ie the woman who played Cassandra in Series 1 and 2.

Your right her name is Celia Imrie not Zoe Wannamaker. They look quiet alike thanks to a quick Google check. Cassandra would have been a fun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I want a laser monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Such an improvement on last year's effort, and nice work on making Clara even more mysterious than ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

"It's smaller on the outside"

Brilliant!

i'm a lizard woman from the beginning of time and this is my wife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well that was excellent. Clara was excellent. And she's awfully pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe it's what passes for my memory these days, so... but did I notice when just before Clara first goes inside, the camera pans around the Tardis and it was covered in splatters of mud, but clean the rest of the time? Hardly a continuity failure so what was that about? Doc in different timelines? Then again maybe that was a CGI a little overdone?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm hesitant to comment too much on the Oswin/Clara stuff since her story is just starting, but I'm finding it funny that we've just finished arcs involving a mysterious woman who the Doctor constantly runs into with River, and lost a companion who keeps dying in Rory, and now, Oswin/Clara is seemingly both.

I did squeal a little when I saw the Doctor's face pop up in the intro. I was never a fan of it in the original series, but I thought it was very well done here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Recorded it yesterday and watched it this morning, in my own time & without sarky comments from the family (who generally hate sciFi as it stands); I enjoyed it a lot & certainly leaves plenty to chew on. Though arguably the Vastra/Jenny/Strax scenes outshone those featuring the Doctor & Clara. A spin-off featuring those 3 wouldn't be the worst idea in the world! Though on that point, an 'old friend' resurrected Strax: who could that have been?

So other than being awfully pretty, who or what is Clara Oswin Oswald? My first instinct is to call to mind the classic Dr. Who story "City of Death", whose badguy was splintered across time - one person existing simultaneously across different time periods, but all sharing the same single consciousness. Given Moffat's series enjoys harking back to the old one, perhaps that's the best guess?

And speaking of the old series, nice subtle link to an old Troughton story - so The Doctor gave the Great Intelligence the idea to invade London through the Underground, ha!

As for the new TARDIS, I'm pretty apathetic & not immediately keen on it - I already miss the organic stylings of the console room; it feels less like a living thing now, more just like a ship, blinky lights n' all.

I like the new themetune though, feels a lot like the old arrangement & Smiths face in the nebula was a nice touch (though generally the FX in the intro felt a bit rough). Moffats turns has certainly seen a LOT of old elements creeping back into the show - it's almost indistinguishable from RTDs tenure at this stage.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Recorded it yesterday and watched it this morning, in my own time & without sarky comments from the family (who generally hate sciFi as it stands); I enjoyed it a lot & certainly leaves plenty to chew on. Though arguably the Vastra/Jenny/Strax scenes outshone those featuring the Doctor & Clara. A spin-off featuring those 3 wouldn't be the worst idea in the world! Though on that point, an 'old friend' resurrected Strax: who could that have been?

So other than being awfully pretty, who or what is Clara Oswin Oswald? My first instinct is to call to mind the classic Dr. Who story "City of Death", whose badguy was splintered across time - one person existing simultaneously across different time periods, but all sharing the same single consciousness. Given Moffat's series enjoys harking back to the old one, perhaps that's the best guess?

And speaking of the old series, nice subtle link to an old Troughton story - so The Doctor gave the Great Intelligence the idea to invade London through the Underground, ha!

As for the new TARDIS, I'm pretty apathetic & not immediately keen on it - I already miss the organic stylings of the console room; it feels less like a living thing now, more just like a ship, blinky lights n' all.

I like the new themetune though, feels a lot like the old arrangement & Smiths face in the nebula was a nice touch (though generally the FX in the intro felt a bit rough). Moffats turns has certainly seen a LOT of old elements creeping back into the show - it's almost indistinguishable from RTDs tenure at this stage.

In that case, may I present to you, for your audio pleasure "The Lizard Woman, The Troll And The Parlour Maid in 'Devil In The Smoke', An Adventure For The Great Detective Recounted by Mr. Justin Richards, Read by Dan Starkey."
    http://www.audiogo.com/uk/doctor-who-devil-in-the-smoke-justin-richards-gid-1021578

Alternatively you can get a text based copy of the story from the kindle store.

I'll admit it's growing on me, I still don't understand why everyone gets excited about the image of a face on the titles, it's not like you don't see the face in the program itself. As for the theme, it's a bit too 80s, I'm sad to hear that the counter theme that was introduced in 2005 has now gone, but never mind. Onwards with the show.

12 seconds in does anyone else see this
    metallica-load.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

New credits are cool i don't like the ending of the music with the tardis noise though seems a little overdone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I liked it :) Decent enough story, really cool introduction to Clara and I love Vastra and Jenny ever more this time.
    I really need to watch it again because I only got to watch it at midnight last night.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well spotted - I knew something about that was bugging me and that I should have gotten it.
    Reminds me of the Davison era console, which was more antiseptic.
    Moffats turns has certainly seen a LOT of old elements creeping back into the show - it's almost indistinguishable from RTDs tenure at this stage.
    Wait - don't you mean the exact opposite of this sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Madame Vastra and Jenny have fast become my favourite minor characters in Who, really hope to see more of them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ixoy wrote: »
    Wait - don't you mean the exact opposite of this sentence?

Hmmm, I mean as in whereas RTD tended to keep much of the Classic Series divorced from his iteration, Moffat seems to embrace tropes & aspects of the 63-89 version a little more freely.

Advertisement