Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglaries in Carlow

Options
  • 08-12-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

I'm getting really sick of this. Every other week I'm hearing reports of burglaries in Carlow and it's surrounding towns and villages. I called the station in Carlow to try and find out if there was an operation or initiative to counteract this and the garda on the phone could not tell me.

2 houses robbed in my estate last night and over the last 2 years it has been a total of approx 10 different incidents.

Is everybody experiencing the same problems where they live , and apart from the obvious replies of murder or tar and feather them , has anybody any good tips etc. to make me and my family safer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Plenty of the houses where I am were either broken into or at least someone tried to. Sadly its a fact of life and especially at this time of the year .

Other than lock up tight, get an alarm or a loud dog there are only so many options out there. I ve a springer who is jet black and has a loud bark. You wouldnt see her at night but she is loud enough to make you think twice .

The gardai usually have a good idea who is doing the robberies but unless they can catch them not much they can do .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Two houses broken into in Ballon during the day onFriday too. Dunno if that's where the op was referring to, but I know the owner of one house, and there was nothing taken, just completely ransacked the place. Laptops, jewelery left untouched.

Makes me bloody angry that these scum can make life misery for people with no repercussions...

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Hi Al, Yes it is the 2 I'm referring to. That seems very strange that that stuff was not touched. What did the guard think they were looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Alarms, doors/windows well locked, dogs and most importantly don't buy stolen goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If worried about security don't get a dog get a routine of closing and locking windows and doors. My neighbours got robbed because they left a patio door unlocked/open. They are the sort of dimwits who let the kids have the car keys then leave the car un-locked overnight with the windows open. The dog is nothing but a nuisance barking day and night starved of affection and attention. As soon as any burglar would show up the dog would lick them to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Don't get a dog for the sole purpose of being a security dog. That's not fair on the animal. That being said, a dog's bark is a great deterrent for would-be burglars.

Common sense would say install alarms and lock all doors/windows.
    A cheap alternative to commercial alarm systems would be IP cameras (if you have broadband). They are motion sensor enabled and once the sensor has been triggered it will send an email/text to whoever you specify. It will also capture video/images and upload them to a website/web storage. Keep an eye on the Bargain Alerts forum as they sometimes pop up there.

When I was living in Kilkenny, my estate was going through a spate of burglaries. The larger amount of residents installed CCTV or at least dummy cameras. A bit much but perhaps a small price to pay?

Bloomin' heck - I didn't mean get a dog for security only. I have two dogs and a strange fly can't land on the back wall without them going mad. They don't bark at the usual noise but someone or something strange they will bark. I always know when something is going on around.

I am also training my cat to walk underneath the feet of burglars - something he seems to have a natural affinity for :rolleyes:

I hate leaving the house for these two weeks coming up to Xmas. It is a sh*tty time to rob someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

I work for a security company based in Carlow town if you are looking for an alarm or cctv for your premises send me PM its not that expensive to have your home alarmed 499 euro would get ya sorted

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    I work for a security company based in Carlow town if you are looking for an alarm or cctv for your premises send me PM its not that expensive to have your home alarmed 499 euro would get ya sorted

What would 499 get you? Is that one of the alarms that screeches like a banshee on the street if you are not quick enough putting in the code? Would it be monitored (& is that a con job monitored alarms?)?

Advertisement