Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to add Garage onto a HKC812

Options
  • 08-12-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi Guys,

I have a HKC 812 with 4 zone expander and GSM P setup in my house.
    I want to alarm my garage and am trying to figure out am i better to put a seperate alarm on it or can i add it to my house alarm. Runing wires between house and garage is not an option.

I have read on hear about using a quickbridge to add wireless detectors to the 812 but not sure how this works. Do you just need one free zone to add the quick bridge and then you can add as many RF sensors as you wish to the quickbridge, or do you need a free zone on the 812 panel for each RF sensor added?

Garage divided into 2 rooms, one is 26X26 feet and the other is 10X26 feet. I have two roller doors, a back door, and 4 windows so to put contacts on them all is a lot for a garage. I am wondering would a PIR in each room be enough? Also as its a garage its cold, dusty and very drafty, are there PIRS suitable for such conditions or would i be better to go down the route of contacts on all doors and windows?

My preference is to add the garage to the house alarm as i already have the GSM P connected to the house. What do ye think?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are lots of different receivers like this you could use. You could get a single channel receiver that would wire into one zone on the panel. You could also use a wireless one wireless contact & wire normal contacts into that.
    How many free zones have you on the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Jarvey

There is just one free zone on the panel

Thanks Koolkid for your reply. Is one free zone all is needed to add the quickbridge/reciever?
    If so then how many zones can be added to the quickbridge?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Depends on which receiver you use. You could also user a multi channel receiver & series the outputs into one zone.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Depends on which receiver you use. You could also user a multi channel receiver & series the outputs into one zone.

You have lost me altogether now :D

I have no experience with this other than installing my own alarm a few years ago and adding a GSM P a couple of weeks ago
    If i got a UTC RXI4N8 does this wire into the free zone on the Panel?
    If i then get a couple of UTC wireless PIRS will i be able to add these to the system then?
    Sorry if this sounds stupid

• Advertisement

The RXI4N8 will give you 8 outputs which can wire into the panel. Each of those 8 can have 2 wireless devices .
    If you want everything on the one zone simply use a 12 vdc relay & any output from the RXI4N8 will trigger the relay giving you a single open/close pair to wire into your free zone.

Thanks for explaining it Koolkid, think i understand how it works now.
    Will the UTC motion detectors work ok in a draughty garage or are there specific ones for these conditions?
    If all outputs are wired in series to one zone or relay is used then there is no way to know which sensor is activated i guess.
    What other options would i have using existing panel?

If its really draughty I would advise against a PiR .
    If they are in series into the one zone that's all that will show on the panel.
    The receiver will indicate via an LED what is open.

Cheers Koolkid. It has two roller shutter doors which will always have a bit of a draught if the wind is hitting them. Having said that I guess its no more draughty than any other garage with roller shutter doors.
    I assume you would have fitted PIRS in garages/sheds with these type of doors in the past without issue?

You could use Aritechs wireless duel tec PiR as well. You could also power a wired Duel Tec PiR locally & wire it into a wireless contact.

• Advertisement

You could use Aritechs wireless duel tec PiR as well. You could also power a wired Duel Tec PiR locally & wire it into a wireless contact.

I assume only UTC detectors will work with the UTC quickbridge and to use AIrtechs duel tec PIR i would need an Aritech reciever/quickbridge. Is this correct or is it all down to the frequency?

Jarvey wrote: »
    I assume only UTC detectors will work with the UTC quickbridge and to use AIrtechs duel tec PIR i would need an Aritech reciever/quickbridge. Is this correct or is it all down to the frequency?

Yes , only their devices can be used .

So thinking of Going with the UTC RXI4N8 route. Is there a UTC dual tec PIR that will work with this? All i can see is the DD205RF but not sure if this will work for me

Anybody know if the visonics mcr304 will work with hkc 812 panel? It's very cheap compared with utc stuff

You would need a Visonic standalone receiver .

You would need a Visonic standalone receiver .
    The mcr-304 is a reciever no? What do you mean stand alone reciever

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Jarvey wrote: »
    The mcr-304 is a reciever no?

An easier option is to use the quick bridge.

For Visonic it has to be Visonic receiver & device for Quickbridge you use UTC receiver & device.

So in the end i went for the Visonic, worked out much cheaper that the quickbridge. Got Visonic MCR 304 reciever, Visonic discovery Quad MCW (wirelesee PIR) and a wireless contact for back door which has capability for another contact/device.
    All up and runing, have garage set up as PGuard B on the panel so the garage can be armed on its own easily.
    Thanks Koolkid and Altor for your help/suggestions

Thanks for the update Jarvey. Glad you got it all sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement