Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Champions 8, The Comeback Tour(nament) - Jan 5th 2013 - THE CLARENCE Dublin

Options
  • 08-12-2012 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Righteo, Its been rather a while since we had a tourney in Dublin so I expect ALL of you to attend. This will be a good chance to get into the fighting spirit for Cannes! As such, our games will be as follows:

1. Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition v.2012
    2. Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom III
    3. Tekken Tag Tournament II, as voted for in the poll
    4.Mortal Kombat 9 (cause we love you guys for always turning up for tourneys!)
    5. Super Street Fighter II: Turbo side tourney

As usual, people PM me about equipment they can bring, MK will be PS3 exclusive, everything else will be 360. We will be starting at 12am SHARP, i'll be there from 10 to set up. Running order TBD.

I realise i haven't really been around the FGC much over the last few months and a few new people have joined, so i will stress here to them that i run tournaments like a military commander. I generally won't tolerate people being slow/inefficient/buggering off for two hours when they're supposed to be playing a match. If you are called for a match and are not playing in another match at the time you have FIVE MINUTES to play your match or you forfeit. That way every one gets to bugger off to the pub at a reasonable time. Myself and Doom in particular have had enough of near-10 hour tournaments.

I'll be getting people on the day to help run the individual tournaments, but i'll be doing brackets, most likely on Tournament maker. Prize pots will hopefully be 1st 2nd 3rd, depending on the number of entries in each tournament

Entry Fee is as follows:

€10 for venue & 1 game plus ST side tourney
    €3 per additional tournament entered
    €5 discount for bringing a console, €8 discount for monitor (you MUST pm me about bringing equipment and receive a confirmation from me to qualify for a discount!)

Tournament Rules and Format.

Format is as follows; All tournaments are double elimination. Each match will consist of 3 games with each game beings best of 3 rounds, except for UMvC3, which will be best of 3 games. If one player wins the first 2 games the third game is not played.
    Players who placed in top 8 in the prior 3 DoCs or Infernos (where applicable) will be seeded accordingly. All others will be randomly seeded.

1. All characters are useable, but if you require DLC characters, please make that known prior to your match.

2. Custom controllers and button configuration is allowed.

3. Turbo is banned. Anyone who is caught using this feature will be disqualified.

4. Players can change characters in each round of the double elimination phase. However once a match has started they may only change characters in a match after loosing a set. The winner of the first set must stick to his character he started the set with and may only change if he looses the second set, in which case the winner of the second set must then stick to the character he used in the second set. In UMvC3, orders of characters may be changed, but assist types may not.

5. Double Blind select available in the event of people being concerned about counter picking. An admin will assist with this if required.

6. Rock, paper, scissors is used in the event of people being unable to agree on which side they want to sit on.

7. In the event of a player pausing a game during a round or his stick/pad fails during a round, he forfeits the round unless both players agree to carry on. If there is a dispute an admin will resolve the dispute.

8. In the event of a game ending in a draw, the game will scrapped and not counted towards the results. It will then be replayed. (Though it will be pretty damn hype.)

9. Players who are overly disruptive during a competition or who are distracting other players can be removed from the tournament at the discretion of the tournament admins.

10. No white track suits please.

*TIMES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE DEPENDING ON NUMBERS*

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 & Super Street Fighter II: Turbo - 12.00pm SHARP
    Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 & Mortal Kombat ~1.30pm
    Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition v.2012 ~ 2.30pm

Which of the Cannes 2013 games will be at DoC8? 47 votes

Street Fighter X Tekken
    0% 0 votes
    The King of Fighters XIII
    19% 9 votes
    Soulcalibur V
    2% 1 vote
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    4% 2 votes
    Dead or Alive 5
    29% 14 votes
    Super Street Fighter II: Turbo
    2% 1 vote
    Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
    27% 13 votes
    Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition
    2% 1 vote
    Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
    12% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

Ok guys, i've elimiated P4 cause its not out and we won' be able to run it anyway, and i've included ST even though its not on in Cannes this year. Sorry for the confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

I'm confused :confused::confused:

I'm confused :confused::confused:

People were complaining about the previous thread becausethe poll did not include 3S and ST so i redid it rather than listen to them whinging for the next month

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Let's go Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R!

Or GGXX^C+R for short.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I leave Ireland on the 4th. Cruel World.

I'm voting ST anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm not going to merge the two threads as I don't know which thread would be dominant and it's not worked every time i've tried before, so I am just leaving the old thread locked. This is now your thread for DoC goodness.

On a side note: Streetfighter x Megaman speedrun comp? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

On the point of a side tourney, I personally kick ass with Kirby in Smash Bros, but i'm not bringing in my Wii and gamecube controllers just for that

I'll wreck you in a Kirby Mirror!

Seriously though, I can pretty easily bring in kit for a Smash set-up anytime; but this particular DOC seems busy enough as is.

I'm calling you out though Aileen!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

5 euros on Dave the smash Bros beast!

Unless gory comes out of tournament retirement, I don't think anyone is stopping the man with the dead eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

I'm pretty excited to get back into Sf for this. Especially after sf25.

0b9.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

My sausage resets and frame traps will beat all!

My sausage resets and frame traps will beat all!

G&W mirror lessgo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Game&Watch only smash tournament less go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Lads, my Kirby.

GG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

Game&Watch only smash tournament less go.

Nah man, we all know that Meta Knight only tournies are the only legit type of Smash tournies out there cause it never gets boring watching 4 Meta Knights duke it out match after match .... :pac:

but seriously, to all the Smash fans on boards.com, check out "Project M" if you haven't already. its a mod of Brawl only really well balanced. some friends of mine have been trying to set it up on our Wii at my apartment with little success unfortunately.

As much as I enjoy the melee tangent, it's not our silly game for this tournament. Perhaps at a future DOC.

I dunno how Aileen can even play Kirby. As far as I know he doesn't have a special attack to headbutt grannies....
    2gen wrote: »
    but seriously, to all the Smash fans on boards.com, check out "Project M" if you haven't already. its a mod of Brawl only really well balanced. some friends of mine have been trying to set it up on our Wii at my apartment with little success unfortunately.

Project M is pretty old news and there's more than one of those types of fan mods, afaik most of those fan balanced project fell apart because they were hard work and the community could never really agree on proper balance or a tournament standard. Also they cannot be used at any official tournament because it's impossible to regulate builds between regions/people, and sponsors won't touch a tournament running a fan modded game.

Best version of Brawl by far comes on disk called "Super Smash Bros Melee".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Best version of Brawl by far comes on disk called "Super Smash Bros Melee".

But isn't there a difference between NTSC v1.0, 1.1, 1.2 & PAL?? :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    But isn't there a difference between NTSC v1.0, 1.1, 1.2 & PAL?? :pac:

Erm, yeah.....so?

GCN has no region freedom with discs so if any of us are playing Melee, it's going to be the PAL one.

For anyone who is actually genuinely curious: Nintendo was struck by a kind of madness at this time that made them want to release a good product, and Melee got more balance and bug fixes with each progressive disc pressing version, finalising in the PAL/EU release which ultimately meant we got the LEAST buggy version and a different tier list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Desosaurusx

Hello I would like to participate in this tournament, My question is do I sign up on the day at the venue?

Hello I would like to participate in this tournament, My question is do I sign up on the day at the venue?

Yep, better do it on time since Aileen is scary when rushed >_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Desosaurusx

Ok thank you for the quick reply I will be playing SSF4 and ST if it makes the cut

You should try to convince Norman too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

hmmm, after looking at the current results i really feel that TTT2 should be a game thats played for this tourny since its still quite new and there is now a growing scene of Tekken players.

since most (if not all) ST players also play SF4, i feel it would be a bit of a shame it the Tekken lads miss out on a chance of a tournament if the SF lads have 2 to attend to.

just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

hmmm, after looking at the current results i really feel that TTT2 should be a game thats played for this tourny since its still quite new and there is now a growing scene of Tekken players.

since most (if not all) ST players also play SF4, i feel it would be a bit of a shame it the Tekken lads miss out on a chance of a tournament if the SF lads have 2 to attend to.

I agree with you as most of the Tekken lads don't play any other games so it will be a bit of a let down if they don't have anything to play at this tourney. If you want larger numbers of people to attend it would be your best bet to put TTT2 on. It probably won't get as much entrants as ST would but most people who would enter it would be their just for Tekken where as ST probably won't be getting people who aren't already there for SF4.

Tekken is my main game and the only one that I am actually good at but I still play other games so I will be attending regardless of whether it is on or not. The Tekken scene is growing with myself being one of the latest additions, So I hope it is on at this tourney because it can only benefit the scene and hopefully it gets bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Actually ye are dead right, TTT2 should definitely be at it. Feck ST for this one, consider my vote changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

just my 2 cents.

ya, there's also a good few tekken players not on boards so i don't think the numbers on the poll do it justice. Bigstupidguy might have a good idea on how many can make it

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pdaaaawg

I might come out of retirement(!?) to try and show up this time for a tournament. That is, if I am not broke after the Christmas session.

And of course that we are all still alive after DoomsDay on the 21st

I agree with Bento and 2Gen, Tekken should be at this, it'll bring in a lot more numbers in for the event and like Jun said, a good few of them don't post on boards much anyway and not voting on the poll. There is a healthy scene for it in Ireland and it's growing.

I think Tekken is the best choice of the lot for this tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

just like with the poll in the other thread, my vote goes to tekken

• Advertisement

I dunno how Aileen can even play Kirby. As far as I know he doesn't have a special attack to headbutt grannies....

I'm quite impressed this joke is still knowckng around 10 months later...
    Fergus_ wrote: »
    Yep, better do it on time since Aileen is scary when rushed >_>

Damn Skippy *Pats Fergus on head* Good Boy!

As the others have said, yes. As scary as i may be made out to be we love getting new tournament players, and its all very fun and light hearted actually, once everyone co-operates with me and my rules then the whole thing is actually far more fun as it doesn't run late and get squished at the end. More time for ridiculous commentary and Saltiness...
    Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    ya, there's also a good few tekken players not on boards so i don't think the numbers on the poll do it justice. Bigstupidguy might have a good idea on how many can make it

For this reason I have made a facebook event for those not aware of boards etc, please join and invite all your friend you think would have an interest!
    http://www.facebook.com/events/119123964918343/?notif_t=plan_user_joined

Advertisement