Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Champions 8, The Comeback Tour(nament) - Jan 5th 2013 - THE CLARENCE Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

TIGERNORM CONFIRMED

holy**** just got real

now only left to bring paul moylan and it will be officially best tourney ever

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I heard if the MoylanBeast attends, Daigo said he be there.........with his notebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

If anyone has any multiplug adapters/strips they can being from home please do so, were gonna need all the plugs we can get!

Also, note to all BRING DISCS REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU'RE BRINGING KIT OR NOT.

And put your name on the disk if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nevflinn

Hope you all have fun at the tournament, everyone! Big thanks to goody2shoes for organising it.

I'll be at home. Studying. While you guys are having fun.

...waiting to hear back about how great a time you had ._.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Glad I decided to drop in for a few.

GGs

Sorry Kokopops for the salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Couldnt go today had some stuff to take care of. Sorry.

Top 4 AE

1. Ladnopoka
    2. Doom
    3. Eldreddy?
    4. Fergus

GGs >:)

Oh and shout outs to Tigernorm and Desosaurusx for showing up, was nice meeting you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tigernorm

thanks ladnopoka nice to meet you aswel. well done on your win. well done to desosaurarse (bisonslovechild) who came runner up in st. shoutouts to me winning 1 game. had fun anyways see you again some time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

Super Street Fighter IV
    05/01/2013
    Champion: Ladnopoka
    1st Runner Up: Doom
    2nd Runner Up: Eldready
    3rd Runner Up: Fergus

Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom III
    05/01/2013
    Champion: Nutrient
    1st Runner Up: Raawron
    2nd Runner Up: Naphiel
    3rd Runner Up: Doyler

Mortal Kombat 9
    05/01/2013
    Champion: Lar
    1st Runner Up: 1Man3Letters
    2nd Runner Up: Kuro
    3rd Runner Up: Razer

Street Fighter Super Turbo
    05/01/2013
    Champion: Roogle
    1st Runner Up: Desosaurus
    2nd Runner Up: Uberprinny
    3rd Runner Up: Eldready

Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    05/01/2013
    Champion: Patrick
    1st Runner Up: Fergus
    2nd Runner Up: Peter
    3rd Runner Up: Kuro

First and major thanks to Doom, for all the advice along the way, and obviously for running the recording setup as usual! Also big thanks to Uberprinny, Kuro, AJ, Paul and Razer for overseeing the relevant tournaments, most massively to the MK guys at large, those guys can pretty much function on their own once given the equipment!

Huge thanks to all who contributed to commentary and to those who helped shift equipment from A to B. I was really impressed and proud at how many people made that extra bit of effort and brought along consoles or monitors or both. Even though, due to problems with connections and the like, not all set-ups could be used, it was good to see the effort put in!

Even though it ran pretty long i think it was a good day all round. We got some great footage for the channel, and there was no lack of hype by the end! As a first effort at running a tournament i'd like to think it wasn't a total shambles! Finally GGS and thanks to all who showed up on the day. you guys make the community what it is, and i hope every one had fun. See you at the next one!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

GGs to everyone, happy enough with my results.

Did anyone take an extra AE disc? I'm missing my copy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Good day but I'm sick as crap. Voice is gone completely.

Tough tournament to get through because I was under the weather, but hopefully it all turns out for the best.

I have a couple of thoughts about things we could change to make thing better, and over the next couple of days I will bring it up, but one thing's being annoying me so I will say it here.

TTT2 lads, I went to a lot of effort to make sure you got your videos. I put off recording Marvel and MK which are established view grabbers. I am risking a copyright strike by having it on my channel at all. I spent time I would rather not have deconstructing my xbox recording set up and jury rigging something as lagless as possible for recording. The vids will probably bring new player for your community. The least you could have done was sit down and do some commentary when I asked, as opposed to leaving the SF people doing it- which makes me and you look bad. Every other group of players goes out of their way to put someone good on to represent their scene.

Just something to think about before the next tournament.

On a happier note, the vids should be dribbling up within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Great craic today, even though I lost all my matches, lol. It was nice to sit down and have a friendly drink with the Kombat Krew afterwards. I reckon we should do that more often, lads.

Also, I reckon the fight I had with Kuro may have been the first ever Chocolate Match :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NocturNeru

The least you could have done was sit down and do some commentary when I asked, as opposed to leaving the SF people doing it- which makes me and you look bad. Every other group of players goes out of their way to put someone good on to represent their scene.

Shame on you people. Now of all people Youtube could be hearing commentate they have me for two whole games :/

I know what a low crush is... I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom III
    05/01/2013
    Champion: Nutrient
    1st Runner Up: Raawron
    2nd Runner Up: Naphiel
    3rd Runner Up: Doyler

D4rk Onion AND Lythero both confirmed as frauds!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

just home, so so tired but ggs to all today.major fun as always.

thanks to Aileen & team for putting this on and much thanks again for at the start putting MK straight into the event without a vote.

mad props to Doom on the stream station setup, super smooth to play on which was awesome.

yea DR we should, was good kraic.
    so glad you could make it down in the end as well razer. OBS!!

well done to lar for beasting on me again,shame the finals got cut short but it just shortened the beating if anything, last 4 losses in tournys are to you now, i better sort that radien MU quick,fast and in a hurry.

also wilson,jason and sean it was so great to see some new players out, big respect for making the effort to come out. i hope you had a good time, i really hope to play ya's more if ya's can make it down to xgc casuals or the next tourny.
    like i said check out testyourmight.com and that im 1man3letters on that also for when you make a account.

well done to all the winners todays,
    glad i could bring hype to marvel also :P

oh one more thing....
    TOMBSTONE PILEDRIVER!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

Just in the door now. Long day; left the house at half frigging six AM, by the way. Had an absolute blast; really good atmosphere, good setups and always something interesting going on somewhere. Everyone I played, or even talked to was an absolute pleasure and it was obvious everyone involved in the organisation really put the work in and I think it definitely paid off.

Apologies to Sean for Gamma Wave spamming you out of Marvel (it's all I know; can't play to save my life) and Lythero, while I couldn't really call that a 'match' per se, it was fun seeing all your lovely combos in the flesh after enjoying your videos over the last while. It was fun to play Roogle as well; we were both just mucking around and enjoying it, I think.

I actually really enjoyed ST, a game I've never spent much time with (I'd be surprised if my copy of HDR has more than an hour on it). I think I'll have to make an effort to explore that game a bit more in the future. Really good game with Chopper, who put me out but I enjoyed every match.

AE... well, it's hard to say I'm disappointed with my performance overall. I was convincingly outclassed by Dark Onion and I think it was desosaurarse(?) who eliminated me in a very close game. Still, I dropped a load of combos and made some really bad decisions. Probably comes from all the online warrioring, which used to be enough to keep you competitive but the scene has obviously come quite a way since then and it's no longer any substitute spending a couple of hours a week beasting people who got the game in a Steam sale earlier that day. Must try harder.

Shout-outs to Onion for maintaining the hype through the long day and I can't wait to check out the videos (curious what you had to say about my ST 'skills').

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

GGs to all I played
    Obviously I did ****e in everything but still between chatting to people and playing casuals I had a really good time. It was great to see people like Deso and Tigernorm showing up. Also Dave it was fun playing casuals with you and you are right we need to get the old commentary team back together :)

Fair play to Wilson (the lad I brought along) it was his first tourney and he played really solid. He is definitely going to show up to more tourneys and I have been trying to get him on boards for ages but he is too lazy to make an account.
    The least you could have done was sit down and do some commentary when I asked, as opposed to leaving the SF people doing it- which makes me and you look bad. Every other group of players goes out of their way to put someone good on to represent their scene.

You are completely right Doom. I was really happy to see Tekken getting recorded so naturally I tried my best to get on commentary as much as possible. I was really the only Tekken lad doing it which was disappointing because I was trying to find some of the other dudes to do it but they seemed preoccupied. If Tekken gets recorded again at a later tourney I am gonna make someone of the lads get on the commentary because it is my favourite thing to do and I hate seeing Tekken being poorly represented like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

As punishment you get me and my accent on the Tekken finals.

Could at least dropped some sort of insight on the use of Zafinas stances and oki enders but spent most of the match debating random things with my co commentator. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

Could at least dropped some sort of insight on the use of Zafinas stances and oki enders but spent most of the match debating random things with my co commentator. :pac:

That's actually true by the time we finished talking about random ****e the game was already over. It was fun commentary though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

GGs to everyone (except Lee). Hope everyone had a good time.

Extra ggs to the MK guys, holding down that god damn hype train when no one else will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Even though you could hardly move as the venue was so crowded, this tourney owned. I especially enjoyed Ladnopoka's trolling in the AE finals, and seeing Roogle for the first time in months. GGs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

After arriving home from a couple pints to a tipsy slumber...

ggs to everyone at the tournament, turn out was great e.g 27 AE, Marvel 20

Props to to Doom with the improvements to the commentating setup and overall maintinence of the event by Aileen and others whos names pass me, you all deserve a big round of applause and well deserved rest.

Excuse me as I go brush up on my Marvel play after that scrubby display in GF

Iron fist coming close to winning makes me Ill...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Good fun day as always. Many thanks to Aileen for organising and all who helped on the day.

If we can continue to get those types of numbers for tournaments, we should probably just stick to the Clarence as a venue and drop the Exchange. Too many small, but very important pieces of equipment have gone missing.

The problem now is where can we safely store the equipment for a very low cost (preferably free)?

Also, I think sticking to three or four games is probably best so we don't run over time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrHorse

Great Tournament guys. Thanks to everyone who made it happen. Was my first time and I had a blast.

Im defo going to show up to more events cos I need to level up on Marvel =p (Im bad hehe)

Thanks to everyone who decided to casuals me ( Ben, Aaron, Paul and another one who I cant remember). I learned a lot from ye =].

Thanks to the ppl that let me borrow sticks u know who ye are. Gotta get me stick fixd too =p

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

Firstly, Congrats to the guys who finished top 4 in all the tournies. :)

Esp. Kuro and Fergus who both placed well in all the tournies they entered.
    And a special congrats to the Withc for winning his first tekken tournie in a while!! Well done bro! :D

I was SICK AS A DOG that i couldn't make it! :mad:
    (had an exam on Sat @ 12.30)

Looked like it was a hell of a show and fair play to all the gang involved!! :)
    TTT2 lads, I went to a lot of effort to make sure you got your videos. I put off recording Marvel and MK which are established view grabbers. I am risking a copyright strike by having it on my channel at all. I spent time I would rather not have deconstructing my xbox recording set up and jury rigging something as lagless as possible for recording. The vids will probably bring new player for your community. The least you could have done was sit down and do some commentary when I asked, as opposed to leaving the SF people doing it- which makes me and you look bad. Every other group of players goes out of their way to put someone good on to represent their scene.

@the tekken guys:
    What doom said is completely right.

At the end of the day it is up to ourselves to conscider, and more importantly, put in the effort to help the ppl who have taken time out of their own schedule to help make a tournament work.

Doom doesn't have to bother recording the Tekken vids.
    He doesn't have an interest in the game, so why should he care?
    He does it out of respect to the ppl who play the game and for the good of the community.
    And major props to him for doing so.

Out of respect to Doom, and the others in the community, ppl should be stepping up to do the commentary.

This is directed particularly @ the more experienced members of the Tekken scene.

Doing commentary is not a big deal.
    If you don't know the match-up in great detail of the match your commentating on, simply talk about how you deal with it with your char.
    Or talk about how a person is playing @ the moment/tournament, the current game situation, etc...
    If you don't feel comfortable on the mic, we'll put ya with someone who is.

I really hope you all conscider the time and effort others put into these sort of things and make a more conscerted effort @ the next tournie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Great day all!

Congrats to Aileen on the running side of things. It's a hard days work and I'm glad she (and Doom) are willing to sit there for 12+ hours for our benefit.

I think that was my first Dublin non-convention tournament since the last DOC (in June or July?), since I couldn't attend Infergus. Definitely worth the late night drive up from Kerry Friday night, even if I think I ended up passing out asleep by about 11pm Saturday :pac:

GGs to everyone I played.
    I did surprisingly terrible in AE while doing surprisingly well in ST. Dunno what was going on with me that day.
    Special mention to Des, since he and I seem to be destined to fight Deejay V Bison in every stage of every game for all eternity. There can be only one!

I've agreed with Mr. Tormey for next tournament that if the Tekken players still can't be arsed to commentate, then I'll hop on the mic with him to fill the gap with lots of noob questions.

I'm a bit sad it looks like my TE is finally dying. Lots of random pauses during casuals after the main tournament. I loaned it around a lot today, but I could see that everyone was treating it very respectfully; so it must just be old age. Either that or a delayed concussion from that random gobsh|te who threw it on the floor at Eirtakon :mad:
    thanks to Aileen & team for putting this on and much thanks again for at the start putting MK straight into the event without a vote.

In fairness to the MK crowd, you constantly prove that you deserve it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

DqsSTl.jpg

Looks like the vids are proving popular...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 NocturNeru

Thanks again to all who had a hand in organizing this event (and the players)!

While it was definitely my worst performance in competitive play so far, I have to say I really did get all I came for- and that is the awesome community and the gameplay experience, as online seems increasingly worthless nowadays and I can only wish I had some of you back home to give me a thorough beating much more than once a month :P Getting better would be an absolute breeze if that was the case.

Sorry to disappoint anyone this time around, I had to take an opportunity to see if my second team was cut out for the action by now, and this was it. To clarify, no- I am not dropping Dante, Trish or Zero :) Just trying to spread my wings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

NocturNeru wrote: »
    Thanks again to all who had a hand in organizing this event (and the players)!

While it was definitely my worst performance in competitive play so far, I have to say I really did get all I came for- and that is the awesome community and the gameplay experience, as online seems increasingly worthless nowadays and I can only wish I had some of you back home to give me a thorough beating much more than once a month :P Getting better would be an absolute breeze if that was the case.

Sorry to disappoint anyone this time around, I had to take an opportunity to see if my second team was cut out for the action by now, and this was it. To clarify, no- I am not dropping Dante, Trish or Zero :) Just trying to spread my wings.

Hope to see you again!

Advertisement