Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to obtain ip address

Options
  • 08-12-2012 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭

I downloaded the latest update for Battlefield 3 last night. Everything was fine beforehand and it downloaded no problem.
    As soon as I went to play it, my ping had dropped to one bar for every server instead of the usual 5 for most of them.

I set up my network settings all over again and now can't obtain an ip address. I've tried a few times and it did obtain it once but then failed on download and upload speed :confused:

I've just bought a brand new router and I'm having the same problem so it's not the router.

Anybody any suggestions??
    It drove me nuts trying to get NAT type 1 and it's starting all over again :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I`m also getting a duplicate error when trying to forward one of the ports for playstation network on the new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

ISP? [eircom or 3G]
    Wired or Wireless?
    You are opening ports?
    NAT Type? If not NAT 2, something is wrong.
    uPNP? if disabled, enable it. If using "Easy" setup, it's already on. And close all those ports.

RangeR wrote: »
    ISP? [eircom or 3G]
    Wired or Wireless?
    You are opening ports?
    NAT Type? If not NAT 2, something is wrong.
    uPNP? if disabled, enable it. If using "Easy" setup, it's already on. And close all those ports.
    I'm with Eircom on wireless setup. I tried opening ports after trying everything else.

Was on NAT1 on the old router but NAT2 on the new one
    UPNP is enabled.
    I tried using easy and custom setup.

I can sign in on easy setup but it's giving me a download/upload speed of between 400/500 Kbps and can't play anything online.

Could it possibly be a system fault?
    Cheers for the reply

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I'm with Eircom on wireless setup. I tried opening ports after trying everything else.

Was on NAT1 on the old router but NAT2 on the new one
    UPNP is enabled.
    I tried using easy and custom setup.

I can sign in on easy setup but it's giving me a download/upload speed of between 400/500 Kbps and can't play anything online.

Could it possibly be a system fault?
    Cheers for the reply

If uPNP is enabled, opening port will cause problems. Remove all port forwards.

Just for testing try wired.

If you are using the standard eircom router [Netopia?] you are in for a tough ride. Most connectivity issues on PS3 are from eircom customers.

If uPNP is enabled, opening port will cause problems. Remove all port forwards.

Just for testing try wired.

If you are using the standard eircom router [Netopia?] you are in for a tough ride. Most connectivity issues on PS3 are from eircom customers.
    Cheers, I'll close them ports so. Using a TP-Link router now, was using the Netopia up until this happened.

Trying wired is a problem regarding the location of the router and PS3 :(

Also, when I'm trying to use easy setup it times out when I enter WPA key but that doesn't happen on custom :confused:
    Driving me nuts at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - I had terrible problems wireless but thanks to some of the helpful folk here bought one of those proline broadband extenders.
    Basically plug your router into one end and into a power socket. And on the other one connect it to the powersocket near your PS3 and connect it to your PS3 with an ethernet cable.

Have not had any issues since except after powerfailures where I have to resync the two units.

Much better than wireless...

Taltos wrote: »
    OP - I had terrible problems wireless but thanks to some of the helpful folk here bought one of those proline broadband extenders.
    Basically plug your router into one end and into a power socket. And on the other one connect it to the powersocket near your PS3 and connect it to your PS3 with an ethernet cable.

Have not had any issues since except after powerfailures where I have to resync the two units.

Much better than wireless...
    Any chance you could link me up?
    Did you buy online or in a store?

I like the look of this.

See this, this, this and this as examples.

Don't mix and match.

I like the look of this.

See this, this, this and this as examples.

Don't mix and match.
    Never knew such a thing existed, thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Advertisement