Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybough killer

Options
  • 08-12-2012 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

I have been reading an old article in a 1964 evening press about how public school chldren were helping out in the search for the ballybough killer and that the Garda were showing in the cinema identi-kit pictures to help try and find the killer.
    Dose anybody know or hear anything about this i cant find nothing on the interweb, i'd just like to know the story behind it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Have you a picture of the piece? My dad was born in '52 and grew up in Ballybough, so would certainly have some memory of this incident.

I'm seeing him tomorrow so can ask him, but if you can provide that piece, it would be better to jog his memory a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Have you a picture of the piece? My dad was born in '52 and grew up in Ballybough, so would certainly have some memory of this incident.

I'm seeing him tomorrow so can ask him, but if you can provide that piece, it would be better to jog his memory a bit.
    I have to go out now, but i will scan it in later and show you its only a small piiece no picture not much detail of the event either only that they were looking for them .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is some discussion of it in Dáil debates

spurious wrote: »
    There is some discussion of it in Dáil debates
    Thanks, seen this, it dose'nt give much on it.

Here is the scan of the piece in the paper, not much to go on but it must of been a serious event for them to campaign like this.

ballyboughkiller.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What date is the paper?

• Advertisement

What date is the paper?
    18/1/1964

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

I was young at the time, but think this relates to a robbery that was taking place at a Drapery Shop at the corner of Bayview Ave and Ballybough Rd. 2 women (sisters?) ran the shop. A fellow and a girl broke in, one of the owners was hit on the head and died. Eventually the couple were caught and both served prison sentences. Have a clear recollection of my parents saying the bloke was a "bad one" that the girl had got mixed up with. Think the shop is now derelict - don't know how to post link from Google Earth

Looks like TnaG may have covered it in a series they did, if this is the same case.
    Marú
    A new six-episode season for the popular real crime series starring Tony Devlin as he reports on true crime stories from Ireland of the last 50 years, retold in dramatic reconstruction. Each programme considers a major crime – one of Passion or a land disputes that fostered jealousies and which have resulted in murder. Crimes are closely reconstructed from official sources and where possible retired investigating officers assist in checking the facts.

The first case we explore is the murder of Jenny Murphy (an elderly shopkeeper) by Francis Murtagh in  Dublin in 1964.  Murtagh, a known petty criminal, killed Jenny and seriously injured her sister Joan in a robbery at their little shop at Ballybough.  He was sentenced to hard labour for life and released in 1986.

BowWow wrote: »
    I was young at the time, but think this relates to a robbery that was taking place at a Drapery Shop at the corner of Bayview Ave and Ballybough Rd. 2 women (sisters?) ran the shop. A fellow and a girl broke in, one of the owners was hit on the head and died. Eventually the couple were caught and both served prison sentences. Have a clear recollection of my parents saying the bloke was a "bad one" that the girl had got mixed up with. Think the shop is now derelict - don't know how to post link from Google Earth
    Thank you BowWow for your imput and info.
    Looks like TnaG may have covered it in a series they did, if this is the same case.
    Marú
    A new six-episode season for the popular real crime series starring Tony Devlin as he reports on true crime stories from Ireland of the last 50 years, retold in dramatic reconstruction. Each programme considers a major crime – one of Passion or a land disputes that fostered jealousies and which have resulted in murder. Crimes are closely reconstructed from official sources and where possible retired investigating officers assist in checking the facts.

The first case we explore is the murder of Jenny Murphy (an elderly shopkeeper) by Francis Murtagh in Dublin in 1964. Murtagh, a known petty criminal, killed Jenny and seriously injured her sister Joan in a robbery at their little shop at Ballybough. He was sentenced to hard labour for life and released in 1986.
    I will have a look for this. on a side note why dont they use campiagns like this nowadays when they are looking to put the pieces togethen in murder investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'll show this to my Dad tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

does the other article give the names of the boys from bray who were caught mitching?

irishbird wrote: »
    does the other article give the names of the boys from bray who were caught mitching?
    Sorry no, but it is a good little article.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think the shop in question was a draper's called Small Profit.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement