Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What OS & programs should I install on an old 2.6GHz celeron PC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cheers -nice site, the 200GB was only a 8MB cache, I remember at the time many had 16 but this was a good bit cheaper and was only ever really intended as a backup drive. You were right it is faster though.
    Maxtor_6L200P0.gif
    Western_Digital_WD800BB.gif

I am on the PC now on the 80GB and it is very impressive. Very little delay doing anything, seems quite faster with the new chip too, opening up loads of various programs straight after one another and not a bother on it, while on XP it was just grinding to a halt. The owner was using it & was amazed with it, the difference in performance is quite shocking! He was ready to scrap it TBH

I expect I have to do a few updates & installs on it. I was on one site and it had a youtube video showing on it which was a bit choppy, however when you clicked view on youtube it was perfectly smooth.

If anybody knows of any sort of guide of "what to do after a fresh install of lubuntu" please post it, i.e. what typical programs you would install. I got firefox & thunderbird on no bother, and loaded the windows thunderbird data on very easily.

Advertisement