Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roast / Boiled Ham

Options
  • 08-12-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all, fairly novice cook here, apologies if this has been discussed but I did search.

Would you recommend boiling or roasting the Ham for Xmas and would you go with smoked or unsmoked?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hi, I'd boil the ham till its cooked then give it a good roasting in the oven,all depends if you like the taste of smoked ham if you do go for it if not the plain will do, after the boiling which can be done a day or two before Xmas day I'd take off most of the fat and then criss cross the joint with a knife and embed cloves into the fat, add mustered and honey together and pour over the joint or add brown sugar to the joint as well.
    I boiled the ham in coke cola last year and then roasted it, it turned out lovely the coke helped to caramelise the fat in the oven gave it a BBQ flavour .... 'twas lovely..... Enjoy the cooking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

The coke idea sounds fab might give that a go this year.I use back bacon a nice lean cut then same as above and into a nice hot oven to let the fat get crispy make sure to get the the bacon with the rind left on,and I also baste it every so often with some cider when in the oven.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I always bake my Christmas ham because it's a whole one. For anything smaller I'll boil it first, and usually cook small fillets with Coke in the slow cooker.
    I buy unsmoked ham for Christmas because I think it's more versatile - we like to have it with eggs for breakfast for a few days afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I buy smoked i love the taste. why dont you buy a small one and try the taste. i usuall boil for about an hour then take out and take the fat off. mix brown sugar with mustart and smother the ham in it. put ham in roasting tin and put a cup of water in the tin - the juice from boiling will do (i find this will stop it drying out) cover in tin foil and about another hour ish - just check it. dont have temperature too high or it will burn, this is just fab and the juice over the ham afterwards is unreal.

Advertisement