Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevin (Zinedine) Kilbane announces his retirement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

I still can't forgive him for that open goal miss v Spain in 02!

Ah no, a great servant and warrior always gave his all in the green jersey, despite him being a bit of a defensive liability in later years. Wish him all the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As dedicated and determined a player as I've seen - maxed out every little bit of technical and physical ability he had. Few players who could claim the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If only every player gave 100% like he did in Green Jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

One of the best attitudes to have worn our jersey.

Good old fashioned kick and chase it winger also

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not many people can claim to have put as much effort into a green shirt as that man. Wish him nothing but good fortune in his future.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

One hell of a servant to the Irish national team, I applaud him for that. All the best to him in whatever the future holds for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He had about 5 good games in 5 years for Sunderland. I honestly thought he'd fade away when he left. He did the opposite though and completely proved me and a lot of others wrong, fair play to him.

110 caps for his country and 600 club appearances. There aren't many players who have done that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Legend.

Kilbane would have swam the channel to line out for the Boys in Green and who could forget him lining out in the protective mask playing through the pain barrier. Wouldnt even entertain the possibility of not being available to Ireland through injury

A legend and a gentleman. Best of luck our 'Zinedine'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The day football died.

A sad day for the purists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Well played Kev.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

A player who received a lot of abuse from fans about his footballing inability. Various Ireland and Premiership managers couldn't have all been wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

66 consecutive competitive appearances over 12 years in an Ireland jersey - that is a serious achievement.....

Best of luck Killer....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

For me, he will always be remembered for his signature move..

We have had the Cryuff turn, the zidane roulette, the Ronaldo stepover, Pele's Bicycle kick but none compare to Kevin's knocking the ball ahead of himself and chasing after it before the defender got there and more often than not he would reach it.

Great player for Ireland and always gave 100%. Best of luck to his future endeavors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

bazual wrote: »
    For me, he will always be remembered for his signature move..

We have had the Cryuff turn, the zidane roulette, the Ronaldo stepover, Pele's Bicycle kick but none compare to Kevin's knocking the ball ahead of himself and chasing after it before the defender got there and more often than not he would reach it.

Great player for Ireland and always gave 100%. Best of luck to his future endeavors.

In his pomp once he got going nobody was beating him to the ball wasnt the quickest over 10 yards but once he got a head of steam he fecking moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Good chap, worked hard.

He is a credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Absolutely gave all he had to the Irish Jersey. He owes us nothing. Wishing him all the very best in whatever path he follows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Great guy, incredible servant to the Irish cause. I wish him the very best in his retirement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gets my respect for all the effort he put in. I never rated him but you could never fault his voracity in the green jersey.

I've liked him when I've heard him doing co-commentary for EPL games on newstalk. I hope he makes a good career of it, he deserves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Kilbane was a good player for Ireland. Even today, I would prefer having him instead of a total incompetent like Stephen fcukin' Ward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Up there with Mick Mc Carthy for pure effort and bravery for the international team with limited skills to offer.

An attitude that many of the new breed of "superstars" should try and aim for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

bohsboy wrote: »
    Up there with Mick Mc Carthy for pure effort and bravery for the international team with limited skills to offer.

An attitude that many of the new breed of "superstars" should try and aim for.

Yes I agree. He was never a great player by any stretch of the imagination,but you always got 100%. All you can ask for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Always got 100% from the lad. He was very good in the air.Also great to see a player get 66 caps out of 66. I think the only player to rival that loyalty from the recent crop was Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

alproctor wrote: »
    66 consecutive competitive appearances over 12 years in an Ireland jersey - that is a serious achievement.....

Best of luck Killer....

I dont think you will see any player do that again, never mind an Irish player. Some record. Hope he keeps in the game somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

How will the game go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

very few are born with the talent of Zidane , many think they are

so huge respect to KK for getting the v. most out of his ability - 100% commitment and seamed a top bloke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

More heart than most players who have put on the green jersey. Not an ounce of skill though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

[-0-] wrote: »
    More heart than most players who have put on the green jersey. Not an ounce of skill though.

Unlikely he was a professional footballer for 20 years at the highest levels and didn't have an "ounce of skill".

Duff he was not but he had ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

On the late late show there for anyone interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

[-0-] wrote: »
    Not an ounce of skill though.

He had an ounce more than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Just watchin him on late late show there. Good fella by all accounts and a very useful player who gave 100 per cent committment when performing for Ireland. As time went on he gained the full respect of Irish soccer people and supporters. He said he is interested in coaching and management, all the best to him with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Best of Luck Kev ... thanks for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

He came across very well on the Late Late.

Ireland legend! Thanks Kev :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Rumour he is getting the limerick job (limerick is a county in ireland who have a team in the league of ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Rumour he is getting the limerick job (limerick is a county in ireland who have a team in the league of ireland)

Heard this aswel from a player on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Great contribution from the guy over the years, couldn't once have asked more of him.

Wish him all the best for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

A real Ireland legend. He was the sort of fella most clubs would kill to have. Not the most talented but you know he would give 100% every time he has the jersey on his back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement