Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread is ruining my LIFE!!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

• 08-12-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

:mad::(:mad::(

My heart is broken walking my dog in the park the last few weeks - thanks to kind people dumping their rubbish over their back walls into the park (I've already called and complained - DCC have 20 days to call out so fingers crossed they come out soon):rolleyes:
    I've spent a LOT of time doing recall work with him and leave it/take it since he was a few months old and he's 99% on both... except if there's bread involved. If there's no bread in the bushes he'll leave them when I tell him and not even bother going in but once there's bread in there he's gone - no amount of calling/whistling will get him out - I either have to go in after him tripping over bags of crap and broken bottles or wait for him to eat all the bread and come out himself. I have the same problem if anyone is feeding the ducks - he dives in and eats all the bread! I'm finding it increasingly frustrating/embarrassing and am starting to get to the end of my tether - we have enough other issues to be working on as it is :(
    I'd really like to be able to leave him off the lead in the park like I've done for the last 3 years - there's no point in going in if I have to keep him on because the park is so small and there's too many of his friends coming over wanting to play. He doesn't like being out walking past traffic and gets stressed from it which is why I like to let him have some off lead time in the park.
    Any suggestions? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Is there any way you could put him off bread, like feed him a few slices covered in mustard or hot sauce or something? He might not like it so much then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hmmm he might be too tricky and only take it when it doesn't have the sauce on but might be worth a try? I dont want to blow his head (or bum) off though lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

This might sound ridiculous, but how about bringing your own bread? Obviously it's not an ideal treat, but you could just give him little bits and see if he pays more attention to you when he knows you have it. Maybe spread a little peanut butter or soft cheese on to it to turn it into superbread.

If it works and he starts coming back to for the bread you could start swapping for something a bit more appropriate but still high value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My dog thinks shes a duck too. Sooooooo annonying!!! I now take her elsewhere. Kids ham sambos in bushes are the worst - its really hard to compete :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm with ye! Bread, chicken wings, discarded ribs.... they make walking a nightmare because every shadow and leaf has to be investigated in case it's food. There doesn't seem to be anywhere I can go to avoid it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've run him out of the bushes every time he's gone in the last few days - this morning he didn't go in at all because he thought I was having a game of chasing with him lol! My friend is walking a guide dog pup who is eating her other dogs poo and they were told to put Tabasco on it but not sure I want to go that far lol!

Advertisement