Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daddy's Car for a Date??

Options
  • 08-12-2012 7:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 207 ✭✭

I plan on asking this girl out on a date, but can't really picture her in my car. Most people our age don't have cars though so she wouldn't exactly be expecting a rolls royce or anything. But still.. my car isn't that cool and like I said.. couldn't really picture her in it.

My Dad however has a regular Mercedes. What if I made an excuse about my car being repaired and brought my Dad's instead. I know a friend of mine who used his Dad's audi for a date once. But on the other hand, would it look bad if she new I was going out of my way for her?

What do you think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Infinitejester

I don't think it's necessary to try and impress anyone with your car... If she's a nice girl I doubt she's going to care. She's dating you, not a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I think that if she's the type of person who would put any weight on what sort of car you drive, she's not worth knowing in the first place.

How is this a relationship issue, anyways? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Personally, I think it's a bit show offy that you are thinking of borrowing your dad's car, and essentially, that's what you're trying to do.
    Why can't you just meet her where ever you're going and omit the car idea altogether?
    Noone really cares what car you do/ don't drive, and if they do, they are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

I really wouldnt do that. I can bet you it will all end up going horriblly wrong and you will end up looking like a fool. Seriously be yourself and be honest with the girl. And secondly your own car is better then the one she has isnt it so at least you wont be walking on the date

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 207 ✭✭StrugglingSoul

ElleEm wrote: »
    Why can't you just meet her where ever you're going and omit the car idea altogether?

Because it will be harder to kiss her if I don't take her home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Because it will be harder to kiss her if I don't take her home!

Haha, fair enough... but cars are an awkward business :-P

Go in your own car, be yourself!

Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 207 ✭✭StrugglingSoul

Alright, but after every run-in I have with I think of things that I should have done said! I ever think of things I shouldn't have said, like "oh, I saw you yesterday on campus" when I'd be pretty sure she'd have known anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Lorna123

Just take your time OP, you have a lot of growing up to do, based on this and other posts you have on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I think most people giving advice on here are probably of an age where 'deep and meaningful' is the game to play....

Op - bring the merc, blow her socks off!!

Its the part of a relationship where a lasting impression is made...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Mr Slop Head now the proud owner of a permanent ban from this forum.

If anyone is unsure how what to do when dealing with problem posts/trolls please read the forum charter and sticky HERE and HERE.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I say go for it with the merc. Nothing wrong with it once you don't lie and pretend its yours. If it boosts your confidence then I don't see it as being any different to a lady borrowing her sisters prettier coat or designer handbag. Best of luck with the date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Eh, hello, you have a car. She's not gonna care whether it's a Merc or a Fiat Punto, it's a car. At your age most people don't drive and anyone who'd judge you on what you drive is an idiot.

Also very serious question- are you insured to drive the Merc?! Because if you're not, step away from those car keys!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

If your other posts on boards are a true reflection of what you're like in real life, then your choice of car is going to be the least of your problems. If you come across as a creep or a hormone overloaded teenager, a flash car isn't going to solve anything. At best it's contrived. At worst it looks like a means to somehow get your date into bed. Which is obviously your intention seeing as you asked in another thread was it OK to ask a girl if she was a virgin.

For better or worse, this girl is going out with you for what you are. I'm presumably older and more cynical than you are and I can tell you out straight that if my first date turned up in a Merc despite not having any obvious means to pay for it, I'd be going WTF?? and be immediately suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

What happens if the date turns into a regular meet up thing or a relationship- you can't keep borrowing the Merc, can you?

Also, Second class wheels are better than first class walking. I doubt shes going to care too much about the car you drive unless she's completely shallow.

cymbaline wrote: »
    For better or worse, this girl is going out with you for what you are.

This would be an assumption rather than a fact.
    cymbaline wrote: »
    I'm presumably older and more cynical than you are and I can tell you out straight that if my first date turned up in a Merc despite not having any obvious means to pay for it, I'd be going WTF?? and be immediately suspicious.

Age has most likely made you more cynical... I find it rather difficult to believe that when you were young and impressionable and a boy you liked showed up in a nice car then you would be anything other than impressed

Advertisement