Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic condensation

• 08-12-2012 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

i got my attic insulated in summer 2011, 600mm deep. i have all my storage water outside the house so all thats up there is a floor + roof.
    i noticed last night that there are wet patches all over the floor, laid during insulation and cardboard boxes up there are damp.
    is this normal ?
    its defenitely condense and not a leaking roof.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Sounds like the air vents are covered & no air is circulating. Have you checked them yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

no i havent checked, are you talking about down in bottom of the eves? the insulation is stuffed down into those spaces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

GASMANN wrote: »
    no i havent checked, are you talking about down in bottom of the eves? the insulation is stuffed down into those spaces

Clear that space. the insulation is blocking the vents in the Soffit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

You would have to wonder how there could be sufficient heat in an attic to create condensation with 600 mm of insulation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

thats the first thing i thought. there are 24 downlighters for the upstairs of the house in the attic floor but i doubt thats the cause.
    im starting to think its wasnt done as good as it could have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

homer911 wrote: »
    You would have to wonder how there could be sufficient heat in an attic to create condensation with 600 mm of insulation...
    You don't need any heat in an attic to get condensation. The moisture comes (is driven) from below the attic (i.e. the house) and condenses on the cold felt.
    As others have said above, make sure the attic ventilation channels at the eves are kept clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭whizbang

600mm of insulation means almost no heat in the attic. I presume its fibre quilt, which passes water vapour (from the house) right up through, which condenses on everything above, and drips down onto the insulation.
    Clear that space. the insulation is blocking the vents in the Soffit.

The spaces around downlighters are great for sucking this vapour up quickly. get some covers for these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭gambithh

i worked with an insulation company for two years.get the contractors back in to fix it.vents should NOT be blocked under any circumstances.in fact extra vents would be recommended with adding insulation to an attic.you can have enough air up there.

ideally your attic should be warm in summer and freezing cold in winter.remember you want the heat in your rooms not you attic.
    leaving this problem off can lead to timber rot in the attic and mold throughout your house.

Advertisement