Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can retail compete against online?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Discodog wrote: »
    The easier option is to get to know your neighbours & postman.

Whether I agree with your opinion of what's "easier" or not doesn't negate it as another option ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Completely agree with this - I know my postman pretty well and he regularly goes over to my British address to pick up packages that can only be delivered to UK from it for me. Really should put him down on my Christmas card list after all he's done for me tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Completely agree with this - I know my postman pretty well and he regularly goes over to my British address to pick up packages that can only be delivered to UK from it for me. Really should put him down on my Christmas card list after all he's done for me tbh :pac:
    There are actually services in the North that will do that for you. I priced it for a piece of gym equipment and it saved hundreds. €80 for delivery from Antrim to Galway so you could buy at the UK price with free delivery rather than the inflated Irish price.

Despite your sarcasm being on good terms with your postman is well worthwhile. If I'm not at home my postman will bring the package out again the following day rather than leaving it at the Tuam Road depot for me to collect. Or he'll deliver it to a relative's house nearby so I can get it there. For that I make sure to give him a bottle of whiskey or brandy at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nice try, but not really an option in some inner city apartments (or predominantly working neighbourhoods) - or if you're usually at work when the post-man comes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I think if I was in a position to "get to know" my postman then I wouldn't have to worry about not being in the house for deliveries....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭deliege

I've been pondering about that question too in recent weeks. Thought about it again last Friday, willing to buy a few recent books in town and finding them more than 30% costlier than on Amazon...

Two more examples, quite different from books and appliances:

1 - cat litter. Got many cats, need litter, went into many shops and found only average quality stuff at reasonnable price, but for proper clumping litter it went sky high. Problem solved thanks to internet - much better stuff, lower price, and bonus (to my bad back!) is that those heavy bags are delivered to my door by postman (poor him!). Ah, and P&P is free if you buy more than a given amount, too...

2 - remote control for house gate: when we moved, new landlord apologized that he had only one to give us, but also told us we could have another one made and gave us the name of the company / retailer in Galway. Went there - and were quoted for 70€ 'including programming on the remote' (based on the existing one). Decided it was much too expensive. Looked on e-bay - exact same item 20€ + P&P from UK. Different one but similar function 7€+pp, still from UK. We tried that one, thinking at worse we would have lost less than 10€... Works perfect - and "programming" (actuallly synchronising) took exactly 30 sec'.

We're all for supporting local trade. But not rich enough to do so, in many cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

If I am after an item I'll know the price online, if the local stores are close to this price then of course I'll buy local. I dont mind a slightly larger margin when buying local. And in fact I've managed to get better deals buying local than buying online the odd time. But if the local shop's price is pulling the piss then ya I'll go online.

I'll give you an example ... I spotted two items over the weekend that I know the price online as I had been looking. One certain retailer in town had them.... sweet jesus the markup was insane! First item was €82 where I can find it online for around €65 delivered. The other was €62 and online I can get it for....€35 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

fingerbob wrote: »
    I worked at Maplin for a few months. It was one of the few high street stores that continued to do rightly throughout the recession (this is in Belfast btw). The place was ridiculously overpriced on most things but still there was always customers in spending hundreds.
    Maplin are good for emergencies. If you absolutely need one straight away Maplin probably have one but it'll cost you. Which is fair enough. I wouldn't go near the place other than emergencies.
    Or that loads of people are still stuck using 20th Century 'Laser' cards which don't work with 99% of websites.
    AIB are rolling out the visa debit, some customers already have them. I don't know why every one doesn't yet. Amazon are now taking Irish debit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

"Dishonoured" Playstation 3 game -

Smyths €54.99 - http://www.toys.ie/Dishonored-PS3-!124094-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=7a67b840-4898-4eca-bed3-b031ec971864

Amazon - £21.99 (€27.34 excl Irish VAT, with VAT we say €30 plus free P&P) -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0073POTOS/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1355145440&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

How can anyone in their right mind justify buying local at a mark-up of €25!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

For Christmas gifts Galway has a lot to offer- I've purchased most of my Christmas presents in the shops of Galway this year and I'm not even living in Galway.
    So I suppose, Galway 1, Internet 0 from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

van_beano wrote: »

Smyths €54.99 - http://www.toys.ie/Dishonored-PS3-!124094-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=7a67b840-4898-4eca-bed3-b031ec971864

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0073POTOS/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1355145440&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

That's a lot more typical comparison between an Irish shop and Amazon. I'm very suprised the OP only saw a 5% difference between an Irish shop and Amazon. Yes, I'd be willing to give the Irish shop the extra 5% but not the extra 50% which is more typical. And yes I agree, with the OP how many Irish shops act like thet are doing you a special favour by allowing you the priveledge of buying the product at their inflated advertised price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

van_beano wrote: »

Prices have changed a bit £24.60 on Amazon incl vat & delivery and €34.99 in Smyths. Better but still about €4-5 cheaper from Amazon.
    Game supplier must have given amazon reduced prices as they are so big and clear the stock before Christmas before smyths had a chance to clear their inventory. Crap really considering that they are doing so well (and getting bigger) and making major inroads into Uk now too. Maybe by next christmas they will be able to push on prices and we will all win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Retailers in Galway struggling according to their representatives and are dependent on the tourist trade..
    Maybe it's because a significant amount of economic units with disposable income are emigrating or buying online.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/30974-survival-city-retailers-hands-tourists

Well duh! ... tourism is one of our major industries ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Retailers in Galway struggling according to their representatives and are dependent on the tourist trade..
    Maybe it's because a significant amount of economic units with disposable income are emigrating or buying online.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/30974-survival-city-retailers-hands-tourists
    Hardly breaking news!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

''Best of Galway awards - retailer category won by Candyland''

not a good sign when a sweet shop wins. i guess it shows what galway is about really.

*not taking anything away from candyland, im sure its a nice shop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

swiftman wrote: »

not a good sign when a sweet shop wins. i guess it shows what galway is about really.

It shows what galway retailers are about if anything, that's if it really shows anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

swiftman wrote: »

I disagree with your sentiment. In my mind it is indeed a good sign. Like it or not, Galway is a tourist town and many rely on that market sector. Candyland is exactly the kind of shop Galway needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

newkie wrote: »
    I disagree with your sentiment. In my mind it is indeed a good sign. Like it or not, Galway is a tourist town and many rely on that market sector. Candyland is exactly the kind of shop Galway needs.
    Hmmm, yes American and European tourists love to come to Galway to buy genuine American Candy

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was just looking for some Tyreweld 500ml.
    Local Halfords €12.99
    Local B&Q, les than €10
    Ebay, nothing less than €20

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Local Halfords €12.99
    Local B&Q, les than €10
    Might that not just be because Tyreweld falls into that small class of products that don't work well for online sales because you are not allowed to just bung pressurized containers into the post? Halfords, for example, will allow you to order it online but won't ship it to you so you have to collect it in one of their shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I work for a multi-national that doesn't allow staff to have things delivered to the office.

I don't understand why a company would have an issue with employees getting personal mail delivered to the office. I realise that it's "policy" for some of them but it always struck me as unreasonable.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I don't understand why a company would have an issue with employees getting personal mail delivered to the office. I realise that it's "policy" for some of them but it always struck me as unreasonable.
    Sounds reasonable for larger employers, especially for medical manufacturers where employees might be in a cleanroom and unable to come to reception to sign for their own deliveries. Can you imagine what it would be like in the run up to Christmas with dozens of employees receiving deliveries every day and boxes piling up at reception and a receptionist, who should be doing company work, is instead occupied with making sure personal packages get to the right employee. And then you'll have the inevitable situation where someone's new iPhone goes missing before they get a chance to collect it. What employer would need the hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

The policy is imposed by the credit card companies. If someone steals or clones your card then they can't easily use another delivery address.

The policy is imposed by the credit card companies. If someone steals or clones your card then they can't easily use another delivery address.
    Rubbish. Merchants can decide themselves whether to ship to billing address only or to allow shipment to other addresses. They lose certain defences in fraud cases if they permit the latter but the decision is still taken by them and not the credit card company. The only exception might be new merchants until they have established a track record with the credit card company. I've just checked my Amazon account and it lists fourteen addresses in six different countries that I have used for deliveries all paid from the one card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

biko wrote: »
    Local Halfords €12.99
    Local B&Q, les than €10

£6.45 400ml free delivery UK: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOLTS-TYREWELD-EMERGENCY-TYRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-FOR-CARS-VANS-CARAVANS-/160982942628?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item257b54c3a4

£8 400ml free delivery Ireland over £25: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Holts-HT3YA-Tyreweld-Emergency-Puncture/dp/B000Y8WB8W/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365870128&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Tyreweld+500ml

So this time you found a local deal... but you are supporting B&Q. Don't you feel a bit dirty?

newkie wrote: »
    So this time you found a local deal... but you are supporting B&Q. Don't you feel a bit dirty?

And what exactly is wrong with supporting B&Q?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Rubbish. Merchants can decide themselves whether to ship to billing address only or to allow shipment to other addresses. They lose certain defences in fraud cases if they permit the latter but the decision is still taken by them and not the credit card company. The only exception might be new merchants until they have established a track record with the credit card company. I've just checked my Amazon account and it lists fourteen addresses in six different countries that I have used for deliveries all paid from the one card.

You deride my post as "rubbish" & then confirm that it can effect the retailer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

You deride my post as "rubbish" & then confirm that it can effect the retailer

Maybe so but it has nothing to do with companies allowing delivery for their employees as they are not the retailer. Your quote is rubbish.

Advertisement