Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Told by bar manager to cover my tattoo or leave

Options
  • 08-12-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Friday Night I went out in cork city for my class party,
    Now I have a left sleeve, and its a dragon, and on the other side of my arm i have flowers.

I was in The Bailey next to the court house, after maybe being there for an hour The manager approached me at the bar when I was ordering a drink, and asked me to put my sleeve down. he then said I am asking you nicely, indicating if I did not put it down I would be asked to leave.

Has this happened to anyone else at the bailey that has a sleeve, And how would you handle this.

Thankyou

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

You should have told him very politely to **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

When i read this originally i thought you were working in the bar and your manager told you to roll down your sleeve. The cheek of him saying that to a customer, that's disgraceful and i would complain further. I'm pretty sure it's illegal for him to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Did you then pay for the drinks and stay there? Could have asked him can he afford to turn down custom I suppose. Or the classic - leave a turd in the urinal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Social Caios

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    When i read this originally i thought you were working in the bar and your manager told you to roll down your sleeve. The cheek of him saying that to a customer, that's disgraceful and i would complain further. I'm pretty sure it's illegal for him to do that.

That's What I Want to do, but who Would I complain to, I have his name,
    Im not sure if he is the owner, HOw would I go about this, Thankyou.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Mr Slop Head

Friday Night I went out in cork city for my class party,
    Now I have a left sleeve, and its a dragon, and on the other side of my arm i have flowers.

I was in The Bailey next to the court house, after maybe being there for an hour The manager approached me at the bar when I was ordering a drink, and asked me to put my sleeve down. he then said I am asking you nicely, indicating if I did not put it down I would be asked to leave.

Has this happened to anyone else at the bailey that has a sleeve, And how would you handle this.

Thankyou
    Not unreasonable. The tattooed are generally insecure and looking for trouble. Cover it or remove it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I've seen that as part of the dress code in quite a few places, no uncovered tattoos.

There's nothing illegal about it (not that I agree with it, it's stupid.)

Not really anything you can do, although if I were you, I'd avoid the place - I wouldn't like the idea of spending money where I didn't feel welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Not unreasonable. The tattooed are generally insecure and looking for trouble. Cover it or remove it
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Given your limited number of posts and short time here , I'd guess you haven't read the forum title properly yet.

But I'll help you , its called Tattoos & Piercings.

A Mod may shortly wander by to explain it further to you. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Mr Slop Head

mattjack wrote: »

Given your limited number of posts and short time here , I'd guess you haven't read the forum title properly yet.

But I'll help you , its called Tattoos & Piercings.

A Mod may shortly wander by to explain it further to you. :)
    What are you on? Drugs like most of the tattooed I think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

What are you on? Drugs like most of the tattooed I think

Awwww (pats softly on the head) look at him trying to be a troll how cute.....must try harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

After the first post I was going to just warn you, but you've made it pretty obvious that the forum is not for you, as you're just abusive, insulting and/or trolling.
    Permabanned.

After the first post I was going to just warn you, but you've made it pretty obvious that the forum is not for you, as you're just abusive, insulting and/or trolling.
    Permabanned.
    He's doing the same on other fourms

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Pretty sure that they can't say that to you unless the tattoo is causing offence to a number of people
    But a dragon sleeve I would think most would find it interesting
    I've been asked by bouncers to cover up my right arm as its just a piece of an eagle Landing on a Celtic cross
    He told me that some other religions in the club may take offence but least he told me so I left with my mates never went back
    I would think in these times they wouldn't say anything to a customer to in anyway refuse a few quid coming in
    Maybe he had a similar tattoo and yours was better?
    Atb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Pretty sure that they can't say that to you unless the tattoo is causing offence to a number of people
    But a dragon sleeve I would think most would find it interesting
    I've been asked by bouncers to cover up my right arm as its just a piece of an eagle Landing on a Celtic cross
    He told me that some other religions in the club may take offence but least he told me so I left with my mates never went back
    I would think in these times they wouldn't say anything to a customer to in anyway refuse a few quid coming in
    Maybe he had a similar tattoo and yours was better?
    Atb

In general if a bouncer says it to you it's because the bar has a policy for that kind of thing.

I've said it to people when I was at work, not caring about their tattoos, but I've been told to say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

It is perfectly legal to kick you out or demand that you cover tattoos.

It's only illegal to discriminate on grounds of race, religion, ethnicity, and a few other things that I can't remember. :pac:

Ultimately, you can make a complaint but will probably get nowhere with it. I'd be more inclined to find out if they have a Facebook page, plaster it all over the page and avoid that place from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    It is perfectly legal to kick you out or demand that you cover tattoos.

It's only illegal to discriminate on grounds of race, religion, ethnicity, and a few other things that I can't remember. :pac:

Ultimately, you can make a complaint but will probably get nowhere with it. I'd be more inclined to find out if they have a Facebook page, plaster it all over the page and avoid that place from now on.

Really?!

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Really?!

Yup. It's a privately owned company, not a public entity. The only things they cannot discriminate on are things laid out in the constitution, such as race, religion, gender, etc.

After that, the phrase 'management reserve the right to refuse admission' is totally legal.

In my last job (I was a cook), we had a customer who smelled so bad that other customers would make complaints, and it would honestly take an hour or more of spraying air fresheners and opening all the doors and windows to get rid of the smell after he left. After a few weeks of this, we flat out refused to serve him. He kicked up murder, but ultimately, we weren't discriminating against anything that is unconstitutional to discriminate against, so he had to leave.

I'm not saying it's a good move to discriminate against people with tattoos (bloody stupid when every Tom, Dick and Harry has a tattoo or piercing nowadays), but there's nothing legally that the OP can do.

Plaster it on their Facebook wall, call the bar and speak to a higher manager about it, but it's no different to a dress code that states 'no runners after 7pm.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

If they have a sign up saying management reserve the right to refuse admission or dress code in place they can do what they want once it's not against the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 land lover

Just cover it up

Arawn wrote: »
    If they have a sign up saying management reserve the right to refuse admission or dress code in place they can do what they want once it's not against the constitution.

Even without the sign, they can refuse entry or deny entry even when the person is inside, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

read something recently where uk police were told to cover up their body art as victims found it intimidating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Last year, myself and bunch of pals went into O'Neills on Suffolk St for beers. Most have tattoos, some more heavily covered than others as they're tattoo artists. A few had been served and one of the lads that has some work done on his face was ID'd... It was an obvious way to not serve him, so since he didn't have ID we left. Absolute B.S that stuff is. So they lost the custom of 10 lads and ladies that evening and I sure as hell will not set foot in their ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Its not something I have encountered myself and Ive been in places of all shapes and sizes. I certainly wouldnt take to kindly to being told to cover up nor would I cover up Id rather leave than hide essentially who I am. But I would most certainly have a a few words with the managment of the place before I left and never return again.

Crazy in this day and age that places would refuse someone service due to tattoos.

Having worked as a bar manager I would never ask someone to leave because of tattoo's or piercings.
    A friend I met while working in Australia had a couple of facial tattoos and quiet intimidating looking.
    He was by far one of the nicest people I have ever met.
    I would just avoid places like that wont serve you because you have a tattoo, doubt it would be any fun in there anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Unfortunately, the manager was well within his rights to ask you to cover it up. It's an extremely outdated point of view, as tattoo's are so commonplace these days. Personally, i've never encountered it, and my legs would be quite heavily tattoo'd. I don't think you'd get anywhere by lodging a complaint, might be best to just avoid that place from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Reardons is the same....Cover it up,,or get out.

Thankfully We took the latter option a few years back,,and never bothered that dump again.

Plenty other bars in town will take your tattoos,and your custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

lolcork

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Reardons is the same....Cover it up,,or get out.

Thankfully We took the latter option a few years back,,and never bothered that dump again.

Plenty other bars in town will take your tattoos,and your custom.
    +1
    the Bailey is just full of "look at me im gorgeous" type of people.the staff are worse.they spend more time looking in the mirror than looking to see who needs to be served.i would have to be dragged into the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

keane2097 wrote: »
    lolcork

Great contribution to the thread. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Farewell Tour in The Bailey

Westlife_poster2-210x300.jpg EPIC WESTLIFE NIGHT 19th of May 2012
    Great night was had by all celebrating The Westlife Farewell Tour!
    It’s the end of an era!!

You are well shut of that kip OP.

Advertisement