Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TOTW/Orijen/etc/etc/etc

• 08-12-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

I've a papillon cross that's overweight at 6Kg. About 5 years old. Vet wants him down around 5Kg. The vet recommended RC light for small dogs. He's been switched to this and been fed according to the pack instructions. I've noticed that since switching he has started scratching allot more (mainly his back, hes learned to scratch it off the underneath of the coffee table) and is drinking more water. I think this happened before ( the scratching) when we tried other RC products but not wafcol or natures best. He is also constantly so hungry that he walks up and down the room in lines licking the floor for any crumbs, which is heartbreaking to see!
    He loves fruit and veg of any sort (except fresh ginger and he's never had avocado nor will he). I've stopped letting him have bits of them as treats since the diet came in. He's never as interested in meat.

Now that the bag of RC is coming to an end, there has been no change in his weight. Not even a fraction. I have read some threads and people here seem to recommend Taste of The Wild from zooplus. I want to try it but its a bit much to fork out for food that I'm not sure he will even eat! Is there anywhere that sells tiny bags, kind of tester sizes?
    If I switch to TOTW is there a light/diet version for small breeds or do I just try feed him a few measly nuts a day?
    What do people think of Orijen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

there anywhere that sells tiny bags, kind of tester sizes?
    If I switch to TOTW is there a light/diet version for small breeds or do I just try feed him a few measly nuts a day?

The sierra mountain (lamb) one is lower fat than the rest (but not a diet version) and you can get it in small bags on amazon. Are you giving him treats at all? If he's a small dog I'd imagine his daily allowance would be pretty small anyways - it sounds like you're getting hung up on his portion sizes and feeling sorry for him. You have to be tough when they're on a diet - it's harder on you than it is on them lol! If he likes veg you could maybe bulk the food out some grated carrot etc - just don't go piling spuds on for him! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

tk123 wrote: »

The sierra mountain (lamb) one is lower fat than the rest (but not a diet version) and you can get it in small bags on amazon. Are you giving him treats at all? If he's a small dog I'd imagine his daily allowance would be pretty small anyways - it sounds like you're getting hung up on his portion sizes and feeling sorry for him. You have to be tough when they're on a diet - it's harder on you than it is on them lol! If he likes veg you could maybe bulk the food out some grated carrot etc - just don't go piling spuds on for him! :p
    Thanks ill have a look on amazon.
    No treats at all. I want him to loose the weight but I don't want him to be so hungry that he's constantly looking for any crumbs. I'd prefer if there was a high fibre food that would make him feel full.

Thanks ill have a look on amazon.
    No treats at all. I want him to loose the weight but I don't want him to be so hungry that he's constantly looking for any crumbs. I'd prefer if there was a high fibre food that would make him feel full.

High fibre food full of fillers will probably mean extra poo for you to clear up! :p My dog loves TOTW but only gets it as training rewards or in treat dispensing toys. He's on a raw diet and is very slim - which is rare for a retriever lol!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We have an overweight cat and we want to get his weight under control. Another boardsie recommended a brand called Meowing Heads, its fantastic stuff. They make a range for dogs called Barking Heads, one of the range is a diet food for dogs called Fat dog Slim. It's not cheap but it is premium food. The only downside is that we have to order it from the UK, but delivery is fairly quick. We've only just started our cats on the grain-free dry food and they seem to be enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Barking Heads is good and you can get it in Petworld.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

TillyGirl wrote: »

Can't be used on food unfortunately.

:( the one near me is crap anyways lol - never buy anything in it tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If your dog is sensitive to certain foods and trying to get a few pound off, I would try Burns. Great for dogs that get minor irritation from foods (TBH, Royal Canin seems to be quite the culprit for causing itchy skin) and quite low in calories. I know some people use the "high oats" version but I don't see the need, my guys have always dropped weight when they have been on Burns so I end up feeding them more than recommended on the bag. Most dogs love the taste of it too and you won't end up with a hungry dog as it does fill them up. I think a small bag is aroung the €20 mark so defo worth a try.

The other thing that is great for getting wieght off a dog is exercise - even an extra 15 minutes per day (in the form of walks, or just play) will make quite a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

My dog has skin problems too when fed some foods.

I found orjen excellent but......... my dog was straining for the bowel movements when fed it. Ended up changing to Lukullus its available on zooplus. I find it excellent its a top quailtiy food with no wheat etc... defo worth a try and its cheaper than orjen or TOTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Just ordered the trial sized (400g) bags of four types of Orijen from bern pet foods in UK. We'll see how the dogs like it. I know a higher protein diet in humans causes fat loss but saves muscle mass. Hopefully it'll do the same in dogs! Pity I couldn't make myself eat the Orijen too…

! Pity I couldn't make myself eat the Orijen too…

You'd need to win the lotto lol!! :D

Advertisement