Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City v Manchester United (KO 13:30 - SS1HD)

• 08-12-2012 10:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

231887.png

231889.png
    Manchester City and Manchester United resume their rivalry on Sunday in a derby clash at the Etihad Stadium which could provide vital momentum in the Premier League title race.

Roberto Mancini's City emerged victorious in both Premier League encounters last season, winning 6-1 at Old Trafford and 1-0 at home before snatching top spot in the most dramatic style on the final day.

The Blues have made a decent start to the defence of their crown and remain unbeaten after 15 games, but it is United who hold a three-point advantage ahead of the latest meeting.

There have been suggestions that it is already a two-horse race for the title and, with other rivals struggling for consistency, the head-to-heads between City and United could prove decisive in the final standings.

There has also been talk about whether City's early elimination from the UEFA Champions League will be a significant factor, with Mancini now not having to juggle the twin demands of Europe and domestic action.

City's participation in the Champions League came to an end with a 1-0 loss to Borussia Dortmund in midweek, while they were held to a 1-1 draw by Everton last weekend after a less than impressive performance.

United were beaten 1-0 at home by CFR Cluj on Wednesday but were already guaranteed to finish first in their Champions League group so Sir Alex Ferguson was able to rotate his squad.

The Red Devils overcame Reading 4-3 last weekend to pull clear of City and have been in irresistible form going forward all season, but it was yet another match in which they fell behind and Ferguson was furious with his side's defending.

He will be demanding greater concentration against a team that has the best defensive record in the league, and Ferguson says it would be one of United's best-ever results if they can inflict a first home league defeat on City in two years.
    231888.png

Team News
    David Silva will be given every chance to prove his fitness ahead of the Manchester derby at the Etihad Stadium.

The Spaniard missed the midweek loss to Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League with a hamstring injury but remains in contention and is battling to be ready.

Aleksandar Kolarov has been ruled out with a groin problem and Micah Richards (knee) is still sidelined.

Tom Cleverley is doubtful for Manchester United after limping out of the game against CFR Cluj and will have a scan on his calf injury.

Sir Alex Ferguson has also revealed that Shinji Kagawa and Nemanja Vidic, who have both suffered knee injuries, are struggling to be fit in time for the derby.

The likes of Robin van Persie and Patrice Evra are set to return to the starting line-up after being rested in midweek.

Massive game, and unfortunately I am unable to see anything but a City win with the injuries Utd have. Would love to see the following line up....
    De Gea
    Smalling Rio Evans Evra
    Carrick Jones
    Rafael Powell Rooney
    v.Persie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Gotta agree, not overly optimistic, but gotta be hopeful of at least a draw. Definitely good enough, if it all comes together.
    Hopefully we wont see a repeat of the negative tactics of last years meeting from United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Score draw for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd love for us to run at 'em like we did with Chelsea, game was over in the first 30minutes and was the best display i've seen from a Utd team against a Top 4 team for years

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I think City will just edge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Heart says United, head says 2-1 City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

3-1 United...So long as we actually play football and pass the ball to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Anyone want to guess both line ups? See who's closest then 2moro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think David Silva will definitely play, Mancini doing the old mind games all week saying Silva won't be fit

A little cousin said something today that sums the match up..

"Our attackers are better than their defenders, and their attackers are better than our defenders. But their defence is better than ours"

I'm expecting City to take the lead but hoping United will do a comeback and win.

2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Anyone want to guess both line ups? See who's closest then 2moro!

We've had a few injuries so I'm hoping for something along the lines of this:
    DDG
    Rafael - Ferdinand - Evans - Evra
    Carrick - Fletcher
    Bebe - Rooney - Young
    RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Hart
    Maicon
    Kompany
    Nastasić----Zabaleta

Y. Touré
    Barry

Milner
    Silva
    Nasri

Balotelli

van Persie

Young
    Rooney

Cleverley
    Jones

Carrick

Evra
    Evans
    Ferdinand
    Smalling

De Gea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Interesting Stat:

Manchester City are the only unbeaten team in the top four flight divisions

Manchester United are the only team not to have drawn yet in the top four flight divisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hart
    Maicon
    Kompany
    Nastasić----Zabaleta

Y. Touré
    Barry

Milner
    Silva
    Nasri

Balotelli

van Persie

Young
    Rooney

Cleverley
    Jones

Carrick

Evra
    Evans
    Ferdinand
    Smalling

De Gea

Are Tevez and Aguero out injured or are you just being optimistic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Turtyturd wrote: »

Milner is injured too.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Mancini in response to Fergie. "I remember last year very well, when Ashley Young went swimming".

Pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

colly_06 wrote: »
    Interesting Stat:

Manchester City are the only unbeaten team in the top four flight divisions

Manchester United are the only team not to have drawn yet in the top four flight divisions

And their current unbeaten home run, is the exact same as our one.

Come on Robin you sexy ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

I'd say Silva is fit all right, would be like Mancini to be playing mind games.

Can't really see past a City win tbh, especially if United's defence doesn't improve massively. City haven't been conceding much themselves. I'll go 2-1 City

And their current unbeaten home run, is the exact same as our one.

Come on Robin you sexy ****.

?

Spurs?

Turtyturd wrote: »

Its a guess at a team. Who knows what side mancini will pick. He wont play them all.

Why dont you post yours.

Didnt know milner is definitely. Swap tevez in for milner and move silva to the side so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I'm going to go with City taking the lead 1-0, game to remain cagey until the 68th minute, queue fireworks, utd score 3 goals in quick succession, scored by none other than RVP.

City to close the deficit by one in the very late stages of the game

City are favourites, there's no doubt, but I'm a little more optimistic of utd's chances this time round.

Its a guess at a team. Who knows what side mancini will pick. He wont play them all.

Why dont you post yours.

Didnt know milner is definitely. Swap tevez in for milner and move silva to the side so

I'd be amazed if Aguero didn't start. I think the question is whether he keeps faith in Nasri. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the same side that he picked in April

• Advertisement

Well I was thinking he might pick a more defensive side and that he might put his trust in mario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

We've had a few injuries so I'm hoping for something along the lines of this:
    DDG
    Rafael - Ferdinand - Evans - Evra
    Carrick - Fletcher
    Bebe - Rooney - Young
    RVP

Bebe could be the perfect swerveball in all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'll take another win thanks

231912.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Not overly optimistic. City with their team should be putting us away but they've been brutal like us this year.

2-1 City. Rooney to score first too. Our injuries are too much at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Score draw. With some luck United will remember how to defend set pieces this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Gonna be 1 -1 up until around 70 minutes, Barry and Van Persie both score. Then SAF decides to unleash him. You all know what happens next.

Javier+Hernandez+Manchester+United+v+Wigan+ZXwXx9lMe-sl.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Irish94 wrote: »
    Gonna be 1 -1 up until around 70 minutes, Barry and Van Persie both score. Then SAF decides to unleash him. You all know what happens next.

Javier+Hernandez+Manchester+United+v+Wigan+ZXwXx9lMe-sl.jpg

:D

xqPKL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I fancy City too because I think they control midfield in this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

0-0 for me.

If anyone to sneak it, United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

colly_06 wrote: »

xqPKL.jpg

The best comeback since eight points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The best comeback since eight points

article-0-1665223F000005DC-393_634x801.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

3-2 to Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Big day for RVP. Tomorrows match is the reason we bought him. Time to see him do his thing when we need it most. I'm going for a United win. But i know full well we could lose too, Draw is bare minimum for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

City half time, United full time at 29/1 earlier on betfair so I won't be too worried if United go behind as they are making a habit of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Would be alot more confident if Anderson was fit. With the midfield problems and wingers/defence being out of form I'd be delighted with a draw, but have a sinking feeling City will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

cgpg5 wrote: »
    ?

Spurs?

I meant all time unbeaten home run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Really hard to call this one. Uniteds defence is a complete shambles but their attack is awesome. If there's no goals I'll eat my hat.

It's a big hat too. Hell of a feed.

I think City might shade it 9-8.

Who's the ref today or is Fergie keeping that under wraps until the last minute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Martin Atkinson is the ref today, he has already been told about citys record of getting penaltys at home so he is not allowed to give one today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

niallo27 wrote: »
    Martin Atkinson is the ref today, he has already been told about citys record of getting penaltys at home so he is not allowed to give one today.

As long as he lets the game flow he should have minimal effect on the match - unlikely though.

niallo27 wrote: »

United have been given just as many but they miss more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    As long as he lets the game flow he should have minimal effect on the match - unlikely though.

Utd wont want the game to flow today though, Ferguson will want to clog up midfield, i can see a few big desicions to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Had a dream last night that a mistake from Joe Hart cost city the game, United to win 2-1

Had a dream last night that a mistake from Joe Hart cost city the game, United to win 2-1

He's been making a fair few mistakes lately...doesn't seem to get mentioned much in the English press tho.

Strange that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm so nervous :(

We'll get beat and Mancini will be smug and say we are still favourites!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

There will be goals, 4 in all I think. I'm going with a 2-2 draw @ 11/1.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    3-2 to Manchester.

Manchester ??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

2-0 united

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

What chances of a refereeing decision deciding the match? Ala the liverpool n chelsea games. Really hope not, just as not to have all the conspiracy nuts showing up.

Utd might have the better attack but if the midfield gets over run then they cant do a lot without the ball and our defence doesnt look like it could hold up to heavy pressure . Hoping for a draw but think city ll win .

Any chance at all that fergie is spoofing about vidic not being ready ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement