Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City v Manchester United (KO 13:30 - SS1HD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I've only gotten granted access to posting in soccer forum now so here's my GET THE **** IN UNITED!

Also fair play to Joe Hart for stopping that fool of a fan at the end.

Ferdinand tweeted this: "Respect to Joe Hart for protecting that idiot who ran on!! Love the banter between fans but there is a point when it goes too far...calm it!"

Does this mean that Rio was going to stick one on him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

jacool wrote: »
    Ferdinand tweeted this: "Respect to Joe Hart for protecting that idiot who ran on!! Love the banter between fans but there is a point when it goes too far...calm it!"

Does this mean that Rio was going to stick one on him?

Self Defense if he had of done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Smalling I think could turn out to be one of Ferguson's best ever buys.

Imo he is underrated.

He was brilliant yesterday, no doubt. At one point Aguero (I think) was one on one with him and I feared the worst but Smalling came off the better.

I think he has been slow coming back from injury. I found myself blaming him for the Norwich goal a few weeks ago, I thought he was found wanting in that situation.

Anyway, I hope he can start threading the quality performances together, we really need some concrete at the back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

lol, talk about desperation in trying to defend these scumbags.

the suituation did happen, 100%. i even took photos of the lads that did it the police came along, pulled your man up and left the lads go, which was a disgrace. to make matters worse, the scumbags were on tv during the game celebrating a City goal.

Yea, wouldn't surprise me. I witnessed first hand how city fans were responsible for 9/11 and the recession. Rather then provide proof, I'll just assure you it did happen. 100%

On a serious note, and taking the day trippers etc out of the equation, how can anyone say city fans are any different to utd fans?

They're the same class, from the same backgrounds, living in the same city neither with any defining political beliefs. The only difference is the colour of their shirt. Same applies to Liverpool/everton etc. It's not like Celtic/rangers or st Pauli/hamburg where you can point to a left wing/right wing conflict. It's only the flick of a coin which defines who they support. So how can one set of fans be inherently worse then the other, other then on the basis of one club (and this isn't a dig by any stretch) having a greater percentage of match going day trippers who are far less likely to cause bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

some photographer just posted this....a full, glass bottle thrown in his direction while the United players were celebrating.

A9sxz6vCMAEaXau.jpg:large

why are they even selling them? in old trafford, the bottles are plastic and they are uncapped, even water.

what sort of a mindless thug would throw an opened and full, glass bottle at a group of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Yea, wouldn't surprise me. I witnessed first hand how city fans were responsible for 9/11 and the recession. Rather then provide proof, I'll just assure you it did happen. 100%

On a serious note, and taking the day trippers etc out of the equation, how can anyone say city fans are any different to utd fans?

They're the same class, from the same backgrounds, living in the same city neither with any defining political beliefs. The only difference is the colour of their shirt. Same applies to Liverpool/everton etc. It's not like Celtic/rangers or st Pauli/hamburg where you can point to a left wing/right wing conflict. It's only the flick of a coin which defines who they support. So how can one set of fans be inherently worse then the other, other then on the basis of one club (and this isn't a dig by any stretch) having a greater percentage of match going day trippers who are far less likely to cause bother

It prodominatley the day trippers that are responsible for situations like this. Genuine match goers or season ticket holders don't react this way or condone thuggery, for no other reason than they want to be able to continue going to the games. . I'm always in the Stretford end for the derby and I've never once had any problem. Likewise, I'll be in the Kippax for the Eastlands game with a mate whose a Utd fan and the same. The majority of trouble that arise from the derbies happen in the City where thugs just want to cause trouble regardless of what went on in the game. It's a shame that football fans always get branded by the actions of a few. Those invovled will have been identified and will automatically recieve a lifetime ban. It will then be up to the police as to what civil sentenance they will recieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I'm more shocked that someone would throw a perfectly fine Stella.

If it was Heineken I would understand.

some photographer just posted this....a full, glass bottle thrown in his direction while the United players were celebrating.

A9sxz6vCMAEaXau.jpg:large

why are they even selling them? in old trafford, the bottles are plastic and they are uncapped, even water.

what sort of a mindless thug would throw an opened and full, glass bottle at a group of players.

The same sort of thug that will fire coins at players. They are not sold on the ground. It is obviously smuggled in for the very reason to throw it onto the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The same sort of thug that will fire coins at players. They are not sold on the ground. It is obviously smuggled in for the very reason to throw it onto the field.

What? You mean the club didn't tool up thousands of scumbag supporters?

Crazy stuff.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What? You mean the club didn't tool up thousands of scumbag supporters?

Crazy stuff.

Just trying to point out the obvious before JK Rowling kicks off again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Self Defense if he had of done.
    Technically incorrect.
    If the idiot had assaulted him then yes.
    Certainly if he was the tool who threw the coin that hit him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

article-1246554-080CD1C2000005DC-535_468x286.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Re: The constant references to Bellamy.

You're right. It wasn't ok that day either. And I hope whoever threw stuff at him got punished as well. There's no justification for either instance, and this "Ah, it's ok, it happened here as well" is a **** excuse.

Was looking for that picture. But it obviously was thrown by a City fan with a bad aim.

Re: The constant references to Bellamy.

You're right. It wasn't ok that day either. And I hope whoever threw stuff at him got punished as well. There's no justification for either instance, and this "Ah, it's ok, it happened here as well" is a **** excuse.

Show me one quote which says that.

The point is there's no moral high ground to be taken here, as much as some are trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1595740_i-let-manchester-city-down-blues-supporter-who-ran-on-etihad-stadium-pitch-to-confront-uniteds-rio-ferdinand-apologises

The Manchester City fan who ran onto the pitch and tried to confront Rio Ferdinand at yesterday's Manchester derby has apologised.

Matthew Stott, 21, was restrained by Blues keeper Joe Hart and subsequently arrested following Robin van Persie's late winner at the Etihad Stadium yesterday. He was subsequently charged with pitch encroachment.

But speaking through his solicitors he has confessed his guilt - and said sorry to the Reds defender.

In a statement, the landscape gardener, from Knutsford, said: "I would like to apologise to all those affected by my actions yesterday, particularly Mr Ferdinand and the other players. I am extremely ashamed of my actions. I have let myself down, my family down, my fellow fans down and Manchester City Football Club.

"I intend to write personally to Mr Ferdinand to express my extreme regret and apologies and also apologise to Manchester United and their fans. I would like to thank Joe Hart for his actions when I came on the pitch."

"I have been a fan of Manchester City Football club all my life and I have been a season ticket holder for three years and I attend the games with my father. I have had the same seat in the section next to the away fans for those three years."

Rebecca Caulfield, solicitor at Stephen Lickrish & Associates, is representing Stott.

She said: "Scott is a hard working man who has held a full time job as a landscape gardener for four years and lives with his partner of five years. He has never been to court before and has never been in trouble with any of the stewards at Manchester City Football Club before or at any other ground. He is extremely remorseful and is mortified by his behaviour which is completely out of character.

"This was a momentary mistake by Mr Stott which has led to him being charged, brought shame on his family, and will bring sanctions on the club that Mr Stott has supported all his life.

"Mr Stott will accept the consequences of his actions. He would like to make clear that he is not the stereotypical drunken football fan but a fan that attends games with his father. He is embarrassed and ashamed of his temporary moment of madness that has brought wider consequences on the club he supports and his fellow fans."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Show me one quote which says that.

The point is there's no moral high ground to be taken here, as much as some are trying.

There's only no moral ground here if people are trying to justify one incident and condemn the other. Anyone who throws anything at a player should be punished, be they City, United, or whoever else. There have been people trying to justify the throwing of stuff "Sure, Rio brought in on himself by celebrating", and it looks as if by referencing the Bellamy incident, people are trying to say "But sure, ye lot did it too" as if that makes it all ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Ugh lock this thread someone please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

The scenes from the end of yesterdays game disgusted me. Last season City came to Old Trafford and hammered us 6-1. Yet there was not 1 incident of coin/bottle throwing, fans attempting to assault players or fights outside the ground.

City fans disgraced themselves yesterday and there has to be an FA enquiry with a view of point deduction or massive fines. Could you imagine the outcry if United fans had behaved in such a manner???

Back to football end of things it was a great game to watch Tevez changed the game when he came on for City but it was a massive win for united and the confidence from this should push United on for the christmas fixtures and with Smalling, Jones returned from injury Vidic & Kagawa returning in next week or 2 United gonna be hard to stop

• Advertisement

And not a hint of an apology for that shit hat

biggest crime of the day:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

amiable wrote: »

He'll be banned for a few years. He's lucky Joe Hart saved him. Had he hit Rio he'd of been made a huge example of. They should ban him for life because he can't control himself.

Any gobshíte that can't prevent themselves from running onto the pitch should be mentally evaluated.

talla10 wrote: »
    The scenes from the end of yesterdays game disgusted me. Last season City came to Old Trafford and hammered us 6-1. Yet there was not 1 incident of coin/bottle throwing, fans attempting to assault players or fights outside the ground.

City fans disgraced themselves yesterday and there has to be an FA enquiry with a view of point deduction or massive fines. Could you imagine the outcry if United fans had behaved in such a manner???

Back to football end of things it was a great game to watch Tevez changed the game when he came on for City but it was a massive win for united and the confidence from this should push United on for the christmas fixtures and with Smalling, Jones returned from injury Vidic & Kagawa returning in next week or 2 United gonna be hard to stop

Compare like for like. The 6-1 game was 6-1, not a last minute winner. The crowd were completely different with regards to tension/emotion. Add to that that the majority of the Utd supporters had exited the stadium by 4-1 as well. And you will find that the City players didn't run to the home crowd to celecbrate. Mario went to turn on the Stretford end and was immediatley turned away by Yaya and Milner.

A more apt comparison is the game at Eastlands last year in which it was a tight game which finished 1-0. There were no incidents at that game either.

What happened yesterday was a poor reflection of mcfc. But you can't lambast everyones behaviour past and present on a group of thugs in one game.

Why on earth would this warrant an FA enquiry with a punishment of point deduction?? It is a club matter to identify those involved and for the police to follow civil actions against those guilty.

He'll be banned for a few years. He's lucky Joe Hart saved him. Had he hit Rio he'd of been made a huge example of. They should ban him for life because he can't control himself.

Any gobshíte that can't prevent themselves from running onto the pitch should be mentally evaluated.

Will be a lifetime ban enforced by the police. It is apparently the new premier league regulations with regard to dealing with incidents. No trail or excuse either. If you are found involved in anyway, you are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

He's got a solicitor already :D

She probably wrote every bit of his apology...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

Compare like for like. The 6-1 game was 6-1, not a last minute winner. The crowd were completely different with regards to tension/emotion. Add to that that the majority of the Utd supporters had exited the stadium by 4-1 as well. And you will find that the City players didn't run to the home crowd to celecbrate. Mario went to turn on the Stretford end and was immediatley turned away by Yaya and Milner.

A more apt comparison is the game at Eastlands last year in which it was a tight game which finished 1-0. There were no incidents at that game either.

What happened yesterday was a poor reflection of mcfc. But you can't lambast everyones behaviour past and present on a group of thugs in one game.

Why on earth would this warrant an FA enquiry with a punishment of point deduction?? It is a club matter to identify those involved and for the police to follow civil actions against those guilty.

Because that game last season was 3-1 in the 88th minute. Conceding 3 goals in 2 mins at home against your rivals and in a derby game is enough to get anybody's blood pumped and the United fans, although devestated and angered, controlled themselves (as always) and didnt engage in the disgraceful scenes we saw yesterday.

I didnt lambast every city fan everyone knows there is a scum element in every club but for the last 15-20 mins every time United had a corner or throw in there was thing thrown at the players.

There would need to be an FA enquiry to ensure it doesnt happen again. When a players gets hit with a coin and then nearly assaulted clearly the safety of the players has been compromised and need to be looked at and clubs should be punished if neccessary as a deterent to it happening again.

article-2245477-166E237B000005DC-720_634x439.jpg

Hope the few seconds of acting like a hardman were worth it.

Because that game last season was 3-1 in the 88th minute. Conceding 3 goals in 2 mins at home against your rivals and in a derby game is enough to get anybody's blood pumped and the United fans, although devestated and angered, controlled themselves (as always) and didnt engage in the disgraceful scenes we saw yesterday.

I didnt lambast every city fan everyone knows there is a scum element in every club but for the last 15-20 mins every time United had a corner or throw in there was thing thrown at the players.

There would need to be an FA enquiry to ensure it doesnt happen again. When a players gets hit with a coin and then nearly assaulted clearly the safety of the players has been compromised and need to be looked at and clubs should be punished if neccessary as a deterent to it happening again.

You must be talking about a different united

Will be a lifetime ban enforced by the police. It is apparently the new premier league regulations with regard to dealing with incidents. No trail or excuse either. If you are found involved in anyway, you are out.

Oh right that's interesting. In fairness, the guy deserves no less. All those who throw bottles, coins etc. and who can't behave for 90 mins shouldn't be allowed enter into any stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Anyone know how they enforce the bans? Is there anything to stop someone shaving/bleaching their hair, sticking on a pair of glasses and a hat and strolling on in?

• Advertisement

THE FA will make a bollocks of any investigation that they do. They're better off letting the police and Manchester City deal with the problem. I'd say City might get a fine of some sort.

It was 3-0 after 70 minutes, Fletcher scored a consolation goal on 80, the stadium started to empty by 85. THe bold text does highlight how highly you precieve the behaviour of Utd fans. Quite the opposite from what i have seen at Swansea in the preperations they are making for the travelling support. Don't make silly assumptions.

I still don't see why the FA hand out point deductions for an incident such as this? How does punishing the club stop future incidents? Are you saying the club were lax or allowed for this to happen? Seeing as you're in the know, how do you ensure scenes like these don't happen again?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Anyone remember the score? All i see is whinging about fans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Points deduction makes no sense for situation like this. Sure I could pretend to be a City fan and throw stuff/invade pitch to get them punished. This person needs a lifetime ban from every stadium in the country.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor says it might be necessary to introduce netting around pitches to protect players.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20666119

I still think a bit of perspective is needed here. A few coins were thrown and someone ran on to the pitch. All involved will hopefully be banned, but this reaction of 'it disgusted me' is a bit ott.

Yes it was unsavoury, but far worse goes on at football (I'm not condoning the trouble) and those genuinely disgusted by those two incidents are in for a shock if they go to a game and see some real bother

Again, I have to emphasise that this doesn't make what happened ok, I'm just pointing out that this is small change relative to other incidents or homerjay fairy tales

Oh right that's interesting. In fairness, the guy deserves no less. All those who throw bottles, coins etc. and who can't behave for 90 mins shouldn't be allowed enter into any stadium.

Got to see first hand how quickly these things are dealt with. Was at the Swansea Norwich game on Saturday, brought along as a handy man/treat as my mate is the Ops Manager at the stadium. Set up the goals, walked some of the pitch with Howard Webb, was in the TV Studio for the post match interviews (very disappointed with the setup in reality) and got on MOTD! But anyway, a fan was accused of racist gestures towards Bassong, and it took all of six minutes from the reported incident for him to be identified, quietly removed by the Stewards and picked up by the Police and carted of to the Station. Not before he was ID'd and banned for life from the Liberty Satdium with a type of restraining order from the police.

The unfortunate thing was that he wasn't making a racist gesture, he was actually chanting at Grant Holt for being a 'Fat B*****d'. But it was taken up by Bassong to be a monkey gesture. This fact will only have a bearing on his civil punishment, and will not allow his ban to be lifted from the stadium, even if he is found innocent. Harsh, but this level of punishment will make fans think twice about any abusive actions while present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭blackwhite

And you will find that the City players didn't run to the home crowd to celecbrate. Mario went to turn on the Stretford end and was immediatley turned away by Yaya and Milner.

What exactly is the point of that statement? United fans didn't run to the City fans to celebrate either. They celebrated in front of the United fans.

Trying to plant seeds of lies (that have been repeatedly disproven on this thread) to try and mitigate the scúmbag behaviour of some of the City fans yesterday is pretty pathetic

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

IvySlayer wrote: »
    He's got a solicitor already :D

She probably wrote every bit of his apology...

Outstanding citizen, momentary lapse in judgement etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

lordgoat wrote: »
    Anyone remember the score? All i see is whinging about fans...
    It was 2-3 man... two-three. deux-trois, dó-trí, dos-tres, zwei-drei.

Manchester United beat Manchester City by 3 goals to 2..... away from home.... yesterday.

FutureGuy wrote: »

Outstanding citizen, momentary lapse in judgement etc etc.

I don't for a second believe this is the first time he's caused bother at a game (not implying your believing it euther) Noone's first offence at a ground has ever been a solo pitch invasion, that's the cumulation of a few years acting the dick

blackwhite wrote: »
    What exactly is the point of that statement? United fans didn't run to the City fans to celebrate either. They celebrated in front of the United fans.

Trying to plant seeds of lies (that have been repeatedly disproven on this thread) to try and mitigate the scúmbag behaviour of some of the City fans yesterday is pretty pathetic

Rooney celebrated his goal in front of the Ciy fans, or are you hung up on the argument others are having over where Rio celebrated? How am I trying to mitigate thugs behaviour. I am pointing out that crowd behaviour at the 6-1 game cannot be compared to the game yesterday.

I have no idea why every reply to a post in here is insinuating that the original comment is condoning the incident. :rolleyes:

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I don't for a second believe this is the first time he's caused bother at a game (not implying your believing it euther) Noone's first offence at a ground has ever been a solo pitch invasion, that's the cumulation of a few years acting the dick

Don't underestimate the stupidity of the first time goer that thinks he is a football hooligan debutant. 'Acting the hardman' rarely ends in an intelligent action. But if he is a season ticket holder, as printed, then in all likelihood, he has been working his way up to this embarresment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Don't underestimate the stupidity of the first time goer that thinks he is a football hooligan debutant. 'Acting the hardman' rarely ends in an intelligent action. But if he is a season ticket holder, as printed, then in all likelihood, he has been working his way up to this embarresment.

He loves to call the Man Untied fans Munichs, so he can get stuffed - will be delighted to see him made an example of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

There's nothing wrong with celebrating in front of opposition fans, whether or not Rio did it.
    The victim blaming is pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

enda1 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with celebrating in front of opposition fans, whether or not Rio did it.

There is though, its incitement. Its could cause a riot on a highly charged day.

niallo27 wrote: »

There is though, its incitement. Its could cause a riot on a highly charged day.

It could provoke a riot, not cause one. If rio had celebrated on front of the city fans, and they had rioted, it wouldn't mean he caused it, the idiots rioting would have caused it, he would just have provoked them

enda1 wrote: »

Common sense would dicatate otherwise. Adebayor's actions in front of the Arsenal fans was wrong. Celebrate wherever you want but as a professional you should know that doing something like that has the simple intentions of getting a reaction. This statement does not in any way condone throwing anything at the player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

amiable wrote: »

Rebecca Caulfield, solicitor at Stephen Lickrish & Associates, is representing Stott.

Seems like that firm represents all sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

san-jose-taxi.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement