Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Markets

Options
  • 08-12-2012 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭

Thinking of taking a spin up to see them next Saturday, are they worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I was going to head up today (Sunday). Is it safe with the recent trouble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Yes, I was at the one in Belfast yesterday before and after the protest at City Hall and it was grand. In any areas where there is a planned gathering there is usually a heavy police presence and yesterday was no different.

The Belfast market is well worth a visit, not too much different from previous years but nice to walk around with lots to spend your money on...and a beer tent :D It is kinda more about the atmosphere than the stuff there is to buy, you wouldn't do all your xmas shopping in it or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

yup, we were there on Friday night.

bought some frogjaws and weird burgers

Btw frogjaws aren't food........

http://www.cutlerydrawer.co.uk/blog/frogjaw-versatile-kitchen-gadget/

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's worth it. It's also smack bang in the middle of Belfast City Centre, so once you walk around it you are free to leave and there are plenty of nearby pubs / places to shop / places to eat which are all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

Highly recommend it for the smells & atmosphere and there is a new stall near the side entrance(towards the docks) where a guy is selling fab cupcakes, he has After 8, Oreo cookie, and Snickers(my fave) to name a few. They are fresshly made with lovely cream icing on top! If you like Baileys - my sister recommends the Baileys hot chocolate and Baileys mint Latte from the van at the middle gate as you enter facing City Hall.

I was in Belfast City Centre shopping & visiting Titanic Sunday, Monday & Tuesday - no hassles at all. Saw more amoured vehicles than usual, but no hassles! Still a great city to visit! This is my 5th year in a row to head up. No great bargains, except iPads are cheaper in Argos than the Apple Store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I took a dander through the Christmas Market the other day, it's pretty cool with some interesting things to eat. One stall (on the left as you go in teh front entrance) was selling burger made from some unsual meat, I'm not sure what type of meat but juding by the smell I think it was bigfoot's cóck :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

robo wrote: »
    Highly recommend it for the smells & atmosphere and there is a new stall near the side entrance(towards the docks) where a guy is selling fab cupcakes, he has After 8, Oreo cookie, and Snickers(my fave) to name a few. They are fresshly made with lovely cream icing on top!

Yes!! Windy City Baking Company I think, highly recommend the chocolate and ferrero rocher ones. Everyone's on the cupcake bandwagon these days and there's lots of yucky ones but the ones from that stall are the best I've tasted in ages.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

el tel wrote: »
    I took a dander through the Christmas Market the other day, it's pretty cool with some interesting things to eat. One stall (on the left as you go in teh front entrance) was selling burger made from some unsual meat, I'm not sure what type of meat but juding by the smell I think it was bigfoot's cóck :pac:

You can get ostrich, kangaroo, alligator ( I think) and springbok usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Not really, same old tat we see every year and at every christmas market everywhere in there parts - nothing that stands out...

Food's good, if a bit pricey, plenty of beer - though I'm still sulking that the Hilden brewery tent is gone for the second year running...

Advertisement