Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont panic it's all under control!

Options
  • 08-12-2012 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

The Irish Times - Saturday, October 13, 2012

What would the State do in an emergency, and what are the most likely threats to national security? We meet Ireland’s masters of disasters to find out
    AT THE LOBBY of Agriculture House, a man at the front desk can’t find the number for the Office of Emergency Planning. Another man doesn’t think Brian Spain, the director of the Office of Emergency Planning, who I’ve come here to meet, even operates from the building. They discuss this for a few minutes while rooting around for the piece of paper with phone numbers on it (“It’s always going missing!”), before one of them says, “Right!” and takes me along a corridor, up a lift and to the correct door. His key card won’t open it. What if it was an emergency, I think, but Spain, a calming presence, comes to get me and I pull myself together.:eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2012/1013/1224325214037.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

wolfeye wrote: »
    The Irish Times - Saturday, October 13, 2012

What would the State do in an emergency, and what are the most likely threats to national security? We meet Ireland’s masters of disasters to find out
    AT THE LOBBY of Agriculture House, a man at the front desk can’t find the number for the Office of Emergency Planning. Another man doesn’t think Brian Spain, the director of the Office of Emergency Planning, who I’ve come here to meet, even operates from the building. They discuss this for a few minutes while rooting around for the piece of paper with phone numbers on it (“It’s always going missing!”), before one of them says, “Right!” and takes me along a corridor, up a lift and to the correct door. His key card won’t open it. What if it was an emergency, I think, but Spain, a calming presence, comes to get me and I pull myself together.:eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2012/1013/1224325214037.html
    Think ill sell off all my preps after reading that sure ill never need them :rolleyes:

Really detailed preparedness :rolleyes:
    http://www.emergencyplanning.ie/_home.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

They can't even grit my road to get me out of my house, sooooo.
    Yeh I trust them 100% to get me out of the brown stuff if it ever hits the metaphorical fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

*reads national pandemic plan*
    *digs bunker faster*

I think it was Krissovo who was going to email the Minister Responsible with a few pointers on the emergency preparedness of the country, what ever happened to that.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    *reads national pandemic plan*
    *digs bunker faster*

I think it was Krissovo who was going to email the Minister Responsible with a few pointers on the emergency preparedness of the country, what ever happened to that.
    The minister responsible prob cant be found :D he is in his own bunker hiding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭touts

Could you imagine Enda Kenny coming on an emergency news flash to tell us of impending disaster but the government had taken all the necessary steps to protect us. A special cabinet sub-committee, modelled on the UK Cobra, has been set up in a bunker in a secret rural location to manage the crisis. Environment Minister Phil Hogan will coordinate the evacuation and recovery efforts. Health Minister James Reilly will coordinate emergency centers to treat any victims. And Justice & Defence Minister Alan Shatter will coordinate a strict curfew.

Sends a shudder down the spine.

touts wrote: »
    Could you imagine Enda Kenny coming on an emergency news flash to tell us of impending disaster but the government had taken all the necessary steps to protect us. A special cabinet sub-committee, modelled on the UK Cobra, has been set up in a bunker in a secret rural location to manage the crisis. Environment Minister Phil Hogan will coordinate the evacuation and recovery efforts. Health Minister James Reilly will coordinate emergency centers to treat any victims. And Justice & Defence Minister Alan Shatter will coordinate a strict curfew.

Sends a shudder down the spine.
    If i had to rely on them id only prep with one bullet and shoot myself in the head

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

I couldn't imagine they'd even get the auto-cue right that Enda kenny would be reading from. That's the way it looks half the time anyway whilst watching RTE news so I'm damned if I'm ever going to rely on a mickey mouse govt to prepare for me and my family. I'm sorry but tptb in this country don't have the mind-set, capabilities, funds or infrastructure to deal with anything life changing. As far as I'm concerned if there's ever a sitX in Ireland then it's yoyo (you're on your own) time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ah I think there's a lot of harshness here. I'd guess that you have a department with a limited budget doing the best they can to prepare for what are realistically unlikely situations. I had a quick flick through the handbook there and it's not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Khannie wrote: »
    Ah I think there's a lot of harshness here. I'd guess that you have a department with a limited budget doing the best they can to prepare for what are realistically unlikely situations. I had a quick flick through the handbook there and it's not the worst.
    The big question is whether or not what you read in any way resembles what would actually happen.

I have to say I have a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭touts

It's not the documents I'm worried about. Any transition year student on work experience and access to Google could pull together a fairly sound document in an afternoon. I'm worried about the proven incompetents we have elected to fill potholes and chase coffins but who now could suddenly find themselves implementing those plans simply because they backed the right side in a party coup two years ago (with all the party members with triple digit iq ending up on the losing side). Rely on yourselves and your neighbours because in a crisis the lads in Dublin may as well be on the moon.

In this country you think flooding,snow,ice is unlikely???? Cork is getting flooded every year in near enough the same places nothing is being done to help prevent this. We are being warned from the beginning of November that its going to be a bad winter id bet my house they wont have enough salt to keep the roads clear again 3 years ago in Dublin the local priest went door to door asking people to clear the old folks home carpark and paths and to get food brought to them as the weather was too bad for them to get out It was reported to local TDs and they did nothing because its our great government and this one is worse than the last so as its been said dont rely on them for help

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

On a minor personal level my area has already been informed by our local council that estates will not be salted/gritted as quantities are low and therefore main roads must be prioritised. This is Ireland in 2012. Is there no forward planning/thinking at all? On a professional level - my old job remit required (due to the nature of the contingency plans we undertook) to liaise with the national emergency planning dept. The lack of enthusiasm, input and communication was shocking. I can only hope that if any of the sitX we planned for became a reality that they would act differently -(differently: read-do something!)

Advertisement