Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halti Headcollar Questions

• 09-12-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into getting one of these for my very, very strong collie cross. I've got a regular harness, but that only stopped the pulling on the flexi lead (he still pulls on a short lead with it on). He's lost a lot of weight now, so it is too big, and he's figured out how to step out of it :p

I've only been able to find one or two videos on a dog wearing one and I just have a few questions.
    1. Could my dog pull backwards and get out of the headcollar?
    2. The underside seems loose - could he chew this off to escape?
    3. Would I need to use a lighter lead with this or would his chain lead be alright attached to his head like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    1. Could my dog pull backwards and get out of the headcollar?
    2. The underside seems loose - could he chew this off to escape?
    3. Would I need to use a lighter lead with this or would his chain lead be alright attached to his head like that?

The Halti takes getting used to. I got it because when my dog was younger, he would get too excited when he saw other dogs. Because he was so strong, he was easily able to pull myself and my mother.
    When we first got the Halti, he hated it. He would roll around on patches of grass trying to get it off while we were walking. It was pretty embarrassing.. :P
    To answer your first question, yes your dog will be able to pull backwards and get out of the collar. Gussie did this the first few times I walked him with the Halti, to get at other dogs. Fortunately, there is an extra little part of the Halti that you attach to your dogs actual collar, so you still have control of him. Every time Gussie did this, I just put the Halti back on and eventually he learnt not to pull. It took him just under a week to get used to it.

I've read about dogs chewing up their Halti's but I've never had an issue like that because Gussie only wears it while he's walking so he never really gets the opportunity to chew it. As for leads, I just use a regular nylon one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

rorrissey wrote: »

The Halti takes getting used to. I got it because when my dog was younger, he would get too excited when he saw other dogs. Because he was so strong, he was easily able to pull myself and my mother.
    When we first got the Halti, he hated it. He would roll around on patches of grass trying to get it off while we were walking. It was pretty embarrassing.. :P
    To answer your first question, yes your dog will be able to pull backwards and get out of the collar. Gussie did this the first few times I walked him with the Halti, to get at other dogs. Fortunately, there is an extra little part of the Halti that you attach to your dogs actual collar, so you still have control of him. Every time Gussie did this, I just put the Halti back on and eventually he learnt not to pull. It took him just under a week to get used to it.

I've read about dogs chewing up their Halti's but I've never had an issue like that because Gussie only wears it while he's walking so he never really gets the opportunity to chew it. As for leads, I just use a regular nylon one!

I noticed the extra bit on the last video I watched. Some of the walkway on Shadows walk is a bit busy traffic wise and I need to make sure he doesnt grow a pair so to speak :P
    It doesnt seem to be too pricey a solution to give a go though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Take a look at the Dogmatic head collars too, if you haven't already. I don't have any personal experience of them yet but I've just ordered one for my dog. They're very well thought of on here and look like they fit the dog's head and neck quite snugly.

Like you, I tried the front attach harness but had no success. My dog is pulling so badly at the moment that I can barely walk him. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I used it on a Boxer who used to be a nightmare to walk, she would pull the arm off me for the entire walk.

With the halti, she is a completely different dog. Walking her is a pleasure and it happened from the very first walk, it took her a few minutes to get used to it, she kept trying to get it off but once she realised it wasnt coming off she relaxed.

I couldnt recommend them enough.

Will definitely have to look into it! We used to be able to walk him on his flexi in the forest, but we've moved now and a good 20 minutes of his hour long walk is on a hard shoulder of a busy main road, the rest on a country lane - so I really need every inch of control on a short lead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Beware people will probably assume the Halti is a muzzle and they'll think your dog is vicious! :') I got Gussie a black one so that it blends in with his fur, a little less noticeable!

rorrissey wrote: »
    Beware people will probably assume the Halti is a muzzle and they'll think your dog is vicious! :') I got Gussie a black one so that it blends in with his fur, a little less noticeable!

He is with other dogs, so maybe if nothing else it will give people plenty of warning to put leads back on their "under control" dogs, lest they go home missing an ear :rolleyes:

I got it for him yesterday, he absolutely detests it, but is very quickly associating it with nice things and going outside. I have a thick rope lead, but I get the impression it's too weighty on his snout, so I might have to see about getting a light nylon one. Hopefully he adjusts over the next week so I can start walking him outside of the garden :o

Advertisement