Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to do this design?

• 09-12-2012 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could help me with giving some guidance for a little design project.

I have a skin tone effect in my mind for a poster and the closest example I could get to the style is the AFTER.jpg I have attached. I have tried for ages trying to get some resembling skin tonal effect but can't seem to nail it.

Please help, I would be delighted to get my idea up and running.

I was able to source a BEFORE.jpg so that may prove handy.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I don't really have an idea what it is you're looking for? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Keller Bear

Sorry! I should have elaborated more.

What I am really after is the "bronzing" colour tone/effect on the skin. Notice the effect on the arms and faces. If you look at the BEFORE.jpg you can see the image went through some degree of process to do this effect. At a guess there was probably some dodge and burn involved but I can't be sure about that. Maybe it's a case of photofilters?

The light diagonal and horizontal "scratches" are part of a render style lens flare so I know that much, but I actually don't need them for what I have in mind.

Thanks for taking the time and replying! Greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It looks like they probably used a studio lighting setup and possibly even some warming colour gels on the strobes. If you've got RAW images you can easily adjust white balance in post processing to warm the image up. The tonal effect you're seeing is entirely down to the strobes, however.

Check out the strobist blog for some examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

Make you image a layer by double clicking on the thumbnail in the layers palette. It should now be called Layer 0.
    Use lens flare from the Filters > Render > Lens Flare. Select Movie Prime and adjust to suit the level of flare.
    You'll need to use a few different flares to get your lighting correct.
    Then use Gradient Overlay from the layer effects (small fx) at the bottom of the layers palette.
    You'll need to use Multiply and then just play around with the different gradients available or create your own.

Advertisement