Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some help putting a graphics card in a laptop!

Options
  • 09-12-2012 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So i have a HP Pavillion g series, dont know exact yet. and at the moment i have integrated graphics but i want to put a Good card in it so what will i have to do or is it even possible!? Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ERHHPower wrote: »
    So i have a HP Pavillion g series, dont know exact yet. and at the moment i have integrated graphics but i want to put a Good card in it so what will i have to do or is it even possible!? Thanks in advance:)

Generally speaking laptops have integrated GPUs, soldered to the board and are not user replaceable, there are some very few exceptions, but for the most part it is not as straightforward as replacing a desktop gpu! It sounds to me the HP laptop in question does not ship with a user-replaceable GPU

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ERHHPower

even if i have to replace the whole CPU or whatever it is thats i really want to do it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ERHHPower wrote: »
    even if i have to replace the whole CPU or whatever it is thats i really want to do it

The CPU is likely replaceable (up to what the bios permits), GPU ie video card is likely not. I don't know of any laptop company atm selling video card upgradable machines.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

You could in theory remove the current GPU and put in a better (compatible) one - but that isn't going to happen.
    The only way would be either
    1)
    New & better laptop
    2)
    Get one of those adapters that plugs into the laptop which has its own proper (changeable) graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ERHHPower

You could in theory remove the current GPU and put in a better (compatible) one - but that isn't going to happen.
    The only way would be either
    1)
    New & better laptop
    2)
    Get one of those adapters that plugs into the laptop which has its own proper (changeable) graphics card.

Tell me more about the adapters. never heard of them are they any good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I haven't seen a G6 with anything higher than an i5, which supports HD4000 Intel graphics at best.

I haven't seen any G6 ship with a dedicated graphics slot.

It's my understanding the model isn't designed with support for a GPU in mind. At best, you could replace the motherboard with up to the most I've seen: an AMD A8 (Even an A6 would do the trick), which has it's own graphics solution on-board. But this requires replacing the entire motherboard, and effectively the entire laptop; the argument is academic. Also, I hear from here that AMD chipsets don't really translate that well cost-wise over to Europe.

Adapters are not a viable option, just telling you now. They are dramatically bottlenecked by the connection type they use (which I suppose at this point is at best USB 3.0, which sadly again, I've never seen a G6 that supports a USB 3.0 controller, and you'd be able to tell if you had them as the ports are blue) so you're then bottlenecked to 480Mbps theoretical max transfer (and you won't get it) on USB 2.0... long story short, you can buy such an adapter but accomplish virtually nothing. They were a really spiffy idea back when expresscards were still commonplace but even then they were only double the speed of USB 2.0 and you could spend all that money on say, an 8800 desktop card and you wouldn't even get the same performance as the 8800M. Some hobbyists still keep the eGPU trend alive out there today, but they use Thunderbolt ports and other technologies that frankly, your laptop doesn't support. By the time you accomplished a setup even on USB 2.0 that connects an eGPU to your G6 you'd practically have spent more than half the cost of buying a new laptop and you'd have got a stationary gaming platform for your trouble - so why not just build a desktop. It's the sort of undertaking I'd only expect hobbyists with too much money to try out in order to give their Macbook pros some fancy schmancy home docking solution that makes them feel closer to Voltron and less worried about the size of their penises.

Your only effective option is exchanging your current laptop in some fashion: return it, resell it, etc. and buy something more powerful.

Advertisement