Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AMD in trouble.

• 09-12-2012 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

...In a new agreement signed with manufacturing partner GlobalFoundries, AMD reduced its promised silicon wafer purchases to just $115 million, down from $500 million, while agreeing to pay a $320 million penalty for the order change over the next year. AMD spun off GlobalFoundries in 2009, and in March of 2012 it sold off its remaining stake in the company, leaving an investment arm of the government of the United Arab Emirates as the company's sole owner.

...The company's goal is to reduce costs enough so that it can break even on income of $1.3 billion per quarter, and hopes to complete those changes by October of 2013—meaning it will be over a year before the company projects returning to profitability.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/12/amd-puts-brakes-on-chip-manufacturing-as-sales-plummmet/

Looks like AMD are in deep trouble. I would have thought gpu sales are strong, yet they have no projected profits for the next year.

Comments

This has been old news for some time, they don't deserve any market share with inferior products and more expensive alternates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This has been old news for some time, they don't deserve any market share with inferior products and more expensive alternates.
    I know their high end CPU have been a big disappointment but in fairness their APUs are good and their graphics card are very competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

As Tuxy said there low-mid range CPU's are great for the money.

I am picking up an A10 in the next few weeks for my htpc/emulation machine.

The GFX cards pricing is very good in my opinion too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

the ****?!

AMD has the best range of GPUs out there with the best price tag. i would see only an fanboy go for nvidia these days, not enthusiast.
    APUs are a very damn great product, it needs to be pushed more, wheres bulldozer was ****, i agree, but they got new one, which is a vary fair rival to intel.

AMD had nice products and it is sad to see it is having trouble. Even for the sake of competition people should want it to not go under!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

you'll be the first to complain about prices of CPU's when Intel has a monopoly.

AMD are a fantastic company. so they're not as fast as the top end Intels, and they don't have the raw single threaded performance to compete in benchmarks, but they've a CPU and GPU out for literally every budget and every segment of the market. they strive to remain compatible between every generation of chipsets, which are cheap and much much much more feature rich than the Intel counterpart.

they've been bullied, their tech stolen, dominated by Intels incredibly expensive marketing campaigns, their CEOs and engineers headhunted, and higher corporate taxes.

and they do it all with a gross income less than what Intel spent to upgrade their deep ultra violet fab process.

now please sir, take your uninformed nonsense elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    you'll be the first to complain about prices of CPU's when Intel has a monopoly.

I won't, as I know its happening sooner or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I won't, as I know its happening sooner or later.

you will, when you will pay twice the price for same CPU, just because intel can charge you that much, not because it is worth that much. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

One RISK[chip] to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Srs though, arm cluster plox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭platinums

I was a big AMD fan in the AMD k2 days. They were leaders in cost/performance. Still wondering what happened to them.
    I always go for the underdog, which they were back then but now its just not economical. This is the vicious circle they reside in unfortaunately, no sales = no money for research = downward spiral.

Advertisement