Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exceeding Eircom broadband download limit

• 09-12-2012 1:41am

I have 8mb Eircom broadband with the "unlimited" allowance. In five years I have never exceeded my allowance however because of the time of year I expect to go over 250gb for December. A once off. I am wondering if I will be charged? If so is there a maximum fee? I'd ask on the Eircom forums but there's no one there at the weekend!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

The charge is something like 70c per gig you go over. Im not sure if the 70 figure is correct, could be 40c but there is a charge.

Bloodwing may have it right. It is a fair usage policy so maybe youll get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

I have 8mb Eircom broadband with the "unlimited" allowance. In five years I have never exceeded my allowance however because of the time of year I expect to go over 250gb for December. A once off. I am wondering if I will be charged? If so is there a maximum fee? I'd ask on the Eircom forums but there's no one there at the weekend!

I went up to around 300gb during the steam summer sales and i wasn't charged anything extra. I think it's only done if you're taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Never been charged my record according to Eircoms website is 1.8TB

Im not even sure how i did that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gaynna

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Never been charged my record according to Eircoms website is 1.8TB

Im not even sure how i did that :confused:

I'd love to know how you managed that. I'm a member of a private tracker for the past 5 years -- which I'm on everyday -- and I've yet to hit 1 TB download on it.

• I thought Eircom started to charge when they brought in all the NGB nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

When I was with Eircom they told me they do not enforce the download cap - I was on 30GB or something like that on a 7Mb packagae at the time and often went over with no problems. - that was about 6 months ago or that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I already have 225Gb used this month, 390 last month, 415 in Sept, 600+ in July. I am on a business connection though, not sure if it makes a difference but I've never been charged, I just use it as I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They used to charge!

We were on 8Mb(3.5Mb) and a 30GB cap, we got bills for over €100 /month for three months in a row. The aul fella then ripped them a new one on the phone and we were moved to permanently unlimited(really unlimited, not "unlimited cough 30GB").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭[Steve]

7 of the last 9 months I have gone over by 50-100gb in downloads, this month.. well.. lil bit more. Which is to be expected, given the increased usage. Unless eircom wish to be evil, I don't see anyone on the NGB pack being charged, especially not the 24mb customers (me) who are paying far too much for a service that isn't ALL that.

(Yes, like someone else mentioned, about 100GB of this so far is due to the Steam sale :D)

Eb8eF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Well I just passed the 250 gig mark this morning so I guess we are all going to find out together when the bill comes out next month sure!

• Advertisement

I blame the Steam sale for the following post content..

On the 27th, as you can see above, 396Gb, I figured that with daily YouTube viewing I'd hit about 410Gb by the 31st.

Well, I just had a bit of a €250 spree on Steam, currently on 432Gb. only 4 of 31 games have downloaded since 3am. Guessing after they are all downloaded I'll be around the 680Gb mark. Lets stretch this 24Mb connection to the limit. 2.3Mb/s is mighty nice. Hopefully the bill will be too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wtf1231

When I read this I can’t believe that there are internet service provider that will limit or meter the amount of used traffic per month.

I live in the Netherlands, have a 120/10Mbit (15MB/1.2MB per sec) line that will be replaced with fiberglass next year. Will then get around 500/500. Or 62.5 MB/s (theoretically...) I think my maximum of a month was around 3 TB.

This is the history of the last year, these measures comes from my router with an alternative firmware on it. (Toastman, Tomato) I cannot wrap my head around the idea that some of you guys are still using an 8Mbit line!
    Date	    Download	    Upload	    Total
    2012-12	    290 GB	    193 GB	    483 GB
    2012-11	    406 GB	    72 GB	    479 GB
    2012-10	    465 GB	    372 GB	    837 GB
    2012-09	    546 GB	    84 GB	    631 GB
    2012-08	    852 GB	    656 GB	    1509 GB
    2012-07	    1025 GB	    817 GB	    1842 GB
    2012-06	    1905 GB	    489 GB	    2394 GB
    2012-05	    1503 GB	    361 GB	    1864 GB
    2012-04	    510 GB	    111 GB	    622 GB
    2012-03	    806 GB	    107 GB	    913 GB
    2012-02	    184 GB	    196 GB	    381 GB
    2012-01	    619 GB	    399 GB	    1019 GB

• I actually bottled it and stopped at 245GB!! I just hate getting nasty surprises in the post! :D Yes I'm a real high roller. I'd be grateful if one of you guys could report back. Hopefully you'll get away with it and I can start downloading with impunity.

• Anybody get a bill yet and get charged for going over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

It could be worse, you could be with Vodafone.
    I am on (not for much longer) 40Gb a month & in December for the first time even I went over the 40Gb (60Gb) & it cost me Euro 20 extra.

I actually bottled it and stopped at 245GB!! I just hate getting nasty surprises in the post! :D Yes I'm a real high roller. I'd be grateful if one of you guys could report back. Hopefully you'll get away with it and I can start downloading with impunity.

I got my bill for December, was the same as always. Standard cost. I downloaded almost 600GB. So, I'd imagine they would only charge if you keep going over the limit on consecutive months.

I'm on 24Mb NGB Ultimate. I don't know if things would be different for 8Mb customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Im with Eircom, 10gb allowance, went 3 gb over last month(1st time over in months) and got charged 5 euro.
    I will definitely be switching to Sky when possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

dobsdave wrote: »
    Im with Eircom, 10gb allowance, went 3 gb over last month(1st time over in months) and got charged 5 euro.

And they wonder why they're in trouble. Penny pinching outfit :rolleyes:
    For the first time even in December I went over with Vodafone 40Gb (60Gb) & it cost me €20.
    It won't be happening again because I've left them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

dobsdave wrote: »

Sounds like you have a mobile product, not what's being asked here. All mobile has poor limits. The OP was referring to DSL through the phone line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

I had a 30GB 3megabit package (out in the sticks) and often went 300-400GB every month. Never got charged , they said they don't "really" enforce it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I had a 30GB 3megabit package (out in the sticks) and often went 300-400GB every month. Never got charged , they said they don't "really" enforce it

I used to be on the same but the most I ever exceeded it was by 3-4GB and it was the main motivator for me going to Sky. I know Sky is cheaper and faster now but if I knew that Eircom would not charge extra or put me on a 3mb unlimited I'd have stayed. The 30GB cap felt totally restrictive! and I was afraid to go crazy for fear of getting a huge bill, this happened to my cousin on Three when I introduced her to torrents a while back, got a bill for €120 for a month!

To the lads downloading hundreds of gigs, you know too much of that sorta thing can make you go blind ;)

Advertisement