Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom, I've Had It With You!

Options
  • 09-12-2012 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey Guys, DoktorFrog here.

I would just like to express my annoying troubles I am experiencing with eircom.

My download speed of 1.3MBps and upload speed of 0.2MBps (amended by speedtest.net) is absolutely shocking. My phone is able to gain speeds higher than this on 3G, In an area with medium coverage (Another big let down). The international average is above these speeds also, which doesn't market Ireland as a great place for setting up IT companies. Im forced to constantly rebooting my modem in order to gain a stable connection, even though my pc is less then 10m from the unit. The wireless technology 802.100n is more then capable of broadcasting that distance.

I have had it with eircom, there customer support wasn't able to assist me in any way understandable over a phone. A telecom company was able to run a cable across the Atlantic and yet, you cant lay fibre optics in Ireland. I will be writing to Comreg and European board of telecommunications.

Thanks,
    Will Quinn (DoktorFrog)

We are the people - We are legion - We do not forgive - We do not forget - We are coming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There are lots of factors that can affect a wireless connection.
    Connect with a cat5 ethernet cable from PC to modem and see if the connection is stable.

If it is then the problem is within your control and not Eircom's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Atlantic cables have nothing to do with copper either. :)

If the OP needs bandwidth and they live in small town or rural Ireland then they need not around wait for eircom to supply more than 8mbits down and 1 up, they should move to where the bandwidth is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Sponge Bob wrote: »

If the OP needs bandwidth and they live in small town or rural Ireland then they need not around wait for eircom to supply more than 8mbits down and 1 up, they should move to where the bandwidth is.

The Atlantic, apparently ... no congestion ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gaynna

DoktorFrog wrote: »
    Hey Guys, DoktorFrog here. ...
    We are the people - We are legion - We do not forgive - We do not forget - We are coming.

Anonymous, eh? Need a high-speed internet connection so you can <SNIP>

It's about the only thing you chantards do on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DoktorFrog

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Im 30mins from Dublin City Centre and Less than 1.5km from the exchange bu.t I still am getting speeds worse than 3G. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

DoktorFrog wrote: »
    Hey Guys, DoktorFrog here.

I would just like to express my annoying troubles I am experiencing with eircom.

My download speed of 1.3MBps and upload speed of 0.2MBps (amended by speedtest.net) is absolutely shocking. My phone is able to gain speeds higher than this on 3G, In an area with medium coverage (Another big let down). The international average is above these speeds also, which doesn't market Ireland as a great place for setting up IT companies. Im forced to constantly rebooting my modem in order to gain a stable connection, even though my pc is less then 10m from the unit. The wireless technology 802.100n is more then capable of broadcasting that distance.

I have had it with eircom, there customer support wasn't able to assist me in any way understandable over a phone. A telecom company was able to run a cable across the Atlantic and yet, you cant lay fibre optics in Ireland. I will be writing to Comreg and European board of telecommunications.

Thanks,
    Will Quinn (DoktorFrog)

Hi DoktorFrog

Could you forward me your phone/account number via PM and I'll look into this and run some tests on the connection for you?

Regards
    Linda

Advertisement