Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homeplug question.

Options
  • 09-12-2012 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been looking at buying some 500Mbps tp link home plugs as they seem to get a good reception.
    The only thing is, they mention them as being 500 Mbps devices, yet the Ethernet port is advertised at 100 Mbps??

how is it possible to get remotely near 500 Mbps (or even more than 100 Mbps) if the Ethernet port is only 100 Mbps?

Thanks for any info...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Hi,
    I've been looking at buying some 500Mbps tp link home plugs as they seem to get a good reception.
    The only thing is, they mention them as being 500 Mbps devices, yet the Ethernet port is advertised at 100 Mbps??

how is it possible to get remotely near 500 Mbps (or even more than 100 Mbps) if the Ethernet port is only 100 Mbps?

Thanks for any info...
    Most newer devices use Gigabit (1000mbps) ports so 500mpbs homeplugs would be what you would want to get the highest throughput across a homeplug setup.
    In saying all that 500mpbs is a theoretical throughput and in real world experiences you will not get anywhere near it, I know this becase I have them.
    Still better than wireless though for throughput and latency.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's worth mentioning that Gigabit homeplugs will probably be wasted if all you're after is an internet connection.

We have them all over the house safe in the knowledge that the slowest homeplug is faster than our DSL connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I have a pair of 200mbs ones and they are grabs for everything.. Media transfer 1080p video files play grand.. I don't use if fit file transfer really have USB 3.0 ports generally faster than networking..

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If I was doing new in-wall wiring I'd want the fastest I could find (Cat6e) but these are plugs, and you're talking about streaming point to point data at best. Bearing in mind your average broadband download speed will be between 10 and 20Mbps right now, so having a plug with 500Mbps theoretical speed is plenty. Extra justification too if you needed to use the link to support more than one device (ie. the 500Mbps max throughput was going to get shared by multiple devices) but even then the only time you'd see near to anything approaching those values (and by anywhere near I mean nowhere near) would be during in-home file transfers, but, that's still USB 2.0 speed (480Mbps) which in Theory is 60MB/s, and when was the last time you ever got a file transfer speed of 60MB/s?

TP-Link have two 500Mbps models - PA411 and PA511

PA411 has 100Mbps ethernet port. PA511 has gigabit. They are mostly similar otherwise, both use Homeplug AV with out-of-spec extension to get higher speeds.

In the real world it is impractical to get over 100Mbps actual throughput using the current generation of homeplug technology. So I wouldn't worry too much about the speed of the interface.

The advertised speed on all these products (200, 500 etc) is gotten from adding up+down which is pretty misleading.

Homeplug AV2 products will be on the market soon and I imagine these will start to push proper speeds that actually benefit from faster than 100Mbps interfaces.

• Advertisement
Advertisement