Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa options that are availible?

Options
  • 09-12-2012 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone can help me, I'm looking into the option of getting a us visa nut I have no idea where to start with it?

Basically I'm in my mid twenties and have graduated with a first class honours degree within the last 18 months and would like to move with the aim of using the degree.

Am I generally eligable for a visa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No. There is no visa for what you want to do, that you can apply for yourself.

A recent college graduate can apply for a J1 that will qualify him/her to work in their chosen field for up to a year. It's not a long term thing as once your year is up, you can no longer work in the US legally. However, if you graduated 18 months ago, its too late for you to qualify for that.

The only other options are to apply for a green card/permanent residency card in the diversity lottery, or to get a job with a company that will sponsor your moving to the US & will handle your application for a work permit. That can cost upwards of $5000 as immigration attornies need to be hired to process the application. Jobs like that are not the easiest to find, especially for someone who is fresh out of college and would have limited experience working in their profession. It's not impossible 'tho. Contact any professional organizations that you may be a member of, and see if they can hook you up with any companies that may be hiring stateside. Some professions are, some aren't. It all depends on the availability (or non availability) of native born workers in the US in that field. You may get lucky.

Advertisement