Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for staff

Options
  • 09-12-2012 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Tonight when i came to the site,i went right to a message base and clicked NEW THREAD (I had something to post) and i was gonna enter my login details after i clicked login..

After i clicked NEW THREAD i got this screen
    You do not have permission to post anonymously in this forum because the country you're trying to post from has been blocked due to spam.

Anonymous posting is available from Ireland and UK IP addresses only.

This is very interesting.... Couldnt you match up IPs that have an account here and allow them to post as a guest if they want to confusedwd5.gif

In other words I HAVE AN ACCOUNT HERE,the system sees MY IP .. It could be setup to allow GUEST POSTING FROM MY IP because i am a member here.

Would this be too taxing on the database?? -- I dont usually go right to a message base and click NEW THREAD/REPLY before logging in here so I didnt see this ever before but it is quite interesting and i wanted to ask you guys what you thought about allowing ALL MEMBER IPS to post as a guest if they wanted to.. (As long as they were known OK (A Member))

I really like this site,thank you for giving it to us icon7.gif
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I would imagine this has 0 chance of happening. A spammer could sign up,log out and spam anonymously. This would probably make it harder for the mods and admins to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Yes well it would have to be an established member on GOOD STANDING like me or you who they know wouldnt do that...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

As the vast, vast majority of users are on dynamic IPs , this can't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

That would be a very awkward and ultimately flawed system unfortunately. As the world has more or less run out of IP4 addresses, several ISPs are now sending more and more traffic through internal proxies to compensate and so you get a much greater volume of people using a single IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Ahhhh yes i can see how hard it would be to control!

• Advertisement
Advertisement