Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DJ Prank Call

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Who did they call ?
    Who did they speak to?
    What time did they call?

If they knew these facts they would be telling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Zambia wrote: »
    Who did they call ?
    Who did they speak to?
    What time did they call?

If they knew these facts they would be telling them.

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter who they spoke to. What matters is that they knew they should obtain consent to release it, and they tried to do that.

And failing to get it, they went ahead and played the tapes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I think I know what angle the radio station will take on this (at a guess) they are obliged by law to get permission before airing in either Australia and also Britain, but the loophole they will be aiming for is that there is no law regarding International broadcast in Australia, as in it was only meant for broadcast in the Sydney area, even though they had web cams on them . Only my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

MrCreosote wrote: »

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter who they spoke to. What matters is that they knew they should obtain consent to release it, and they tried to do that.

And failing to get it, they went ahead and played the tapes anyway.

If they want to prove that they spoke to someone at the hospital it will matter an awful lot.

I would be of the opinion they did not call anyone to seek approval as no body would have given it. They are now using words like due process and procedure to escape scrutiny. If they followed the rules they would have the employee who made the calls state who they spoke to and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

My housemate works the radio station and the sh!t is crazy. Their servers are down from the volume of responses about it all.

Poor djs. Not their fault at all.

Complete media witchhunt. RIP to the lady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Poor Dj's ! Can't believe people are falling for their little PR stunt interviews they did on those "current affair" shows. They obviously were trained on what to say, wouldn't surprise me if they were given the questions beforehand.

Article in the SMH today shows that they were lying through their teeth. Only reason I'd feel a bit sympathetic towards them is due to them shouldering all the blame, I'm sure there are other senior people involved that are hiding behind these two.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/2day-fm-djs-accused-of-playing-dumb-on-prank-rules-20121212-2b9dk.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Only reason I'd feel a bit sympathetic towards them is due to them shouldering all the blame, I'm sure there are other senior people involved that are hiding behind these two.
    On the other hand as broadcasters surely they must have been aware of broadcasting standards and practices, after all they are/were broadcasters. Did they as professionals object to the station airing their clip without consent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

dave3004 wrote: »
    Poor djs. Not their fault at all.

Complete media witchhunt.

They're partly to blame. I'd have more sympathy if they hadn't been boasting about it for the few days after it first aired. The whole "We didn't chose the prank or decide to play it" smacks of the just-following-orders defense. And to say they were hoping they would be hung up on- maybe they were expecting to be, but nobody actually believes that they were hoping to be.

And it's not a witchhunt- most of the media reports on TV and newspapers with the exception of the British gutter press are very soft. Protecting their colleagues in the media really. There's another one in the Irish Times today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/1212/1224327770873.html

When I first saw the headline I thought the ritual humiliation referred to the nurse. Silly me...
    cmac2009 wrote: »
    Only reason I'd feel a bit sympathetic towards them is due to them shouldering all the blame, I'm sure there are other senior people involved that are hiding behind these two.

I agree with this too- the most culpable parties are the producers and lawyers who sat down, listened to the prank and decided to air it after having the time to consider whether it was appropriate or not

Advertisement