Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Ativ S

Options
  • 09-12-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for advise on a Windows 8 phone, i'm led to believe that the Ativ S is out next week on O2, the store in Rathmines had an example model on display.
    Wondering if it's worth picking up?
    and how it compares to the HTC 8x/ Nokia 920 / 820. The fact that it can take up to 64 gb on an SD card is a big difference as far as i'm concerned, don't use camera's much, however, 820 looks good for my needs too? What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Been told that ATIV will be out at the end of the month !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Will it really? I find mobile operators being full of ****...

I know ativ s is not the most popular choice on boards.ie, but I like it. Big screen, sd card, okay ish camera. Massive screen. Price is not bad too.

I would love lumia 920, but the price tag is just waaaay out of my league. If you think about: 700eu or a phone. Madness. My last car costed me 500eu and it is still with nct and drivable after over a year of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Ativ is only a little bit more expensive than the 820 but brings a lot more to the party if you ask me.

http://www.unlocked-mobiles.com/sim-free-mobile-phones/samsung-activ-s-sim-free-p-84280.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Today is your lucky day - http://wmpoweruser.com/samsung-ativ-s-finally-hitting-the-market-starting-from-the-13th-december/

I had a short play with it last week and it's actually quite nice (like GSIII nice). It's much more impressive in the flesh than in the pictures and the screen really is amazing. That said, it is quite flimsy feeling (again like the GSIII) in the hand, but it is thin and light, especially when compared to the Nokia 920.

hmmmm
    hmmmm
    hmmmm

why 3 hmmm,sorry 4...
    Why Samsung is the late,late delayed player on W8 market !??
    Do they know something that WE don't know !??????
    Could it be hware and/or sware !??
    As always,with Microsoft stuff,don;t get 1.0 but rather version 1.1 or WP 8.1 not WP8.0 !!!!

Personal,i gave up,got my HD7 fixed,happy day,waitin gfor ATIV S (.1) ! :)
    Not going to fix things for them (via feedback( free of charge ! :)

Nice gadget but strange delay / delivery time frame !
    I'l buy the phone when it has own section on the XDA forums ... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

rolion wrote: »
    hmmmm
    hmmmm
    hmmmm

why 3 hmmm,sorry 4...
    Why Samsung is the late,late delayed player on W8 market !??
    Do they know something that WE don't know !??????
    Could it be hware and/or sware !??
    As always,with Microsoft stuff,don;t get 1.0 but rather version 1.1 or WP 8.1 not WP8.0 !!!!

Personal,i gave up,got my HD7 fixed,happy day,waitin gfor ATIV S (.1) ! :)
    Not going to fix things for them (via feedback( free of charge ! :)

Nice gadget but strange delay / delivery time frame !
    I'l buy the phone when it has own section on the XDA forums ... :)

I read that the reason for the delay was due to the high demand for the Galaxy SIII, which uses the same screen as the Ativ. Samsung reasonably reckoned on selling more Galaxies so they put their money on that.
    That all sounds quite plausible until you consider their delay in getting their Atix Tablets and Hybrids to market. Nothing using their screens as the W8 specifies a 16:9 aspect ratio rather than the more standard 4:3 that the usual suspects in the tablet world use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Has anyone here bought an Ativ S yet? Any opinions?
    Expansys have them in stock and are selling them for €579.99, which isn't too bad imo.
    http://www.expansys.ie/samsung-ativ-s-16gb-236257/

I was really after a Nexus 4 but after having a play around with a buddies one I prefer the Galaxy Nexus to it.

not me...
    just released in UK so i guess few more days/weeks till is crossing the Irish Sea to reach us & when is gonna be too late !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭jefferson73

Picked the phone up this morning, very happy so far.

Picked the phone up this morning, very happy so far.

what shop / network !?

• Advertisement

O2, dundrum.

O2, dundrum.

thanks.
    just booked one for later collection...

Just got home,with the new phone in the box...open,not open,open,not open...ok,a nice Pinot Noir from Chile will do it and then the phone initialisation... :)

PS
    Thanks to the staff in Dundrum' O2,took the name over the phone,i've arrived there,found a phone set aside with my personal details !!
    Again,many thanks to them ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

What price is the phone on O2 guy's?
    I can't find it on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The phone is €499 on O2 pre-pay, I checked this morning in the O2 shop in Henry Street and they have them in stock

I'm not due an upgrade until 1st March,so I'll have to wait until then :( ,but the Ativ S is definately going to be my next phone as I'm a bit sick of Android and wouldn't touch another Apple product

I have a HD7 and am happy with it, but it's past it's prime and the Ativ is the perfect replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Ohh the hard decisions. I'm bored of my S3. Just prefer WP UI.
    Though it would be hard for me to go back to WP and stop using all the apps your used to using. Decisions decisions

MeTweets app will be free tomorrow.

So far,working fine except that once every few days it keeps restarting itself !!
    I leave it on then i find it with the "PIN required" screen...

Any one having same issue !??

I've no issues, working perfectly for me.

So far,working fine except that once every few days it keeps restarting itself !!
    I leave it on then i find it with the "PIN required" screen...

Any one having same issue !??

Think that's a windows phone issue that will be fixed with the portico update the HTC and Nokia already has. Guess Samsung didn't use that late launching date to include it.

• Advertisement

yeah,thanks but is almost doing it every fcuking day now !
    i have to setup forwarders to make sure i'm not missing any calls !

i reckon is the price i've paid for not waiting on WinMo 8.0 with Service Pack 1 !!!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/18/3660974/htc-8x-lumia-920-reboot-freezing-battery-issues

late edit:

i call O2,do they take it as a hardware OR software fault,will they change it or give me another handset !?
    can i try another SIM ?

yeah,thanks but is almost doing it every fcuking day now !
    i have to setup forwarders to make sure i'm not missing any calls !

i reckon is the price i've paid for not waiting on WinMo 8.0 with Service Pack 1 !!!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/18/3660974/htc-8x-lumia-920-reboot-freezing-battery-issues

late edit:

i call O2,do they take it as a hardware OR software fault,will they change it or give me another handset !?
    can i try another SIM ?

Not sure what's O2 policy on returning them, but if its within a month you could just go for something else.

Another SIM is not going to fix it. Even though its the first thing their going to tell you to do...

Advertisement