Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chances of surviving a fall

• 09-12-2012 12:28pm
    Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭

I only started biking there recently and one of my concerns are falling off the bike at speed. I'm just wondering what the chances are surviving a bike fall at 80km?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I only started biking there recently and one of my concerns are falling off the bike at speed. I'm just wondering what the chances are surviving a bike fall at 80km?

Too many variables like what you're wearing, what you hit/what hits you ~ paths, lamp posts, tree's, armco, cars/buses/trucks & your own bike!.

You can get the best training in the country but falling off at some point in time is par for the course & comes to all bikers.

You can cut down some of the risk of injury by wearing good protective clothing, but either way at 80kms you're not getting off injury free I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

You would be lucky to get up with just a few bruises. Good protective clothing can help a lot as well as you riding style. If you are afraid then it is not worth it riding a bike, in my opinion.

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭Prima Nocte

Theres no fear im just wondering what I should expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Xaime wrote: »
    You would be lucky to get up with just a few bruises. Good protective clothing can help a lot as well as you riding style. If you are afraid then it is not worth it riding a bike, in my opinion.

Have to disagree, I have being afaird to do many things, however, I never allowed the fear to stop me.

OP Why do you think you would fall off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Don't forget your bubble wrap :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I never actually thought I might fall off at that speed. Sometimes when above 110mph I'm thinking of some bad thoughts.

But realistically I worry about the 10mph crashes. Cars hitting the side of me or rear ending me or going too fast into a corner.

After a while the biggest fear is getting rained on when your not in the right gear :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I never actually thought I might fall off at that speed. Sometimes when above 110mph I'm thinking of some bad thoughts.

But realistically I worry about the 10mph crashes. Cars hitting the side of me or rear ending me or going too fast into a corner.

After a while the biggest fear is getting rained on when your not in the right gear :)

Yeah, I took a slide at around 15mph about 20 years ago. I spend 6 weeks in hospital with another op on my leg every week. Sometimes its the slow ones that mess you up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I came off at 5mph and broke my wrist and thumb. Came off at 50mph hit a jeep and flipped into a on coming car, broke nothing, badly bruised and had less protective gear on.

So, I'd agree there is no straight answer. I would say my mindset is more dangerous than the journeys conditions, something I'm working on with my instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

The trick is to always wear rain gear in Ireland. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Too many variables like what you're wearing, what you hit/what hits you ~ paths, lamp posts, tree's, armco, cars/buses/trucks & your own bike!.

You can get the best training in the country but falling off at some point in time is par for the course & comes to all bikers.

You can cut down some of the risk of injury by wearing good protective clothing, but either way at 80kms you're not getting off injury free I'm afraid.

This pretty much sums it all up!! Can't really say much more than that.

@ OP, in September I came off the bike at about 70/80kph (granted there was a car involved) but I broke my collarbone in 4 pieces. That was pretty much it. No other cuts or bruises or anything. At the time I had on good gear on. As was also said, it goes with the territory, you will at some stage come off the bike. If that scares you, don't get on one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

from xp; 80km/h and a kerb cost me a broken wrist and all new gear (bar boots)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I did......it ****ing hurt!

Doom wrote: »
    I did......it ****ing hurt!

LMFAO!!! Tis a pity I can only give you one "Thanks" :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭Prima Nocte

Odysseus wrote: »

Have to disagree, I have being afaird to do many things, however, I never allowed the fear to stop me.

Cause I fell off it twice last week at a slow speed. Wasn't so bad but I was thinking would the impact be much worse had I been going much faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cause I fell off it twice last week at a slow speed. Wasn't so bad but I was thinking would the impact be much worse had I been going much faster.

Twice in one week....did you put 3in1 oil all over the saddle or something :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

Odysseus wrote: »

Ok, I agree that fear is a good thing because it makes you cautious but not to the point where you are not enjoying it, then it is not worth it. It's best to be positive and enjoy it but in a responsible way.

Xaime wrote: »
    Ok, I agree that fear is a good thing because it makes you cautious but not to the point where you are not enjoying it....

Never a truer word said!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I agree with having a certain amount of fear also, remember when we were all 18 and 19 and bullet proof with the Jackass moments? All them broken legs and arms are avoidable when you are grounded, and at a young age its takes alot of pain and mistakes to ground you lol.

I am still afraid of bikes, its that constant "this **** can kill you, if you stooopid" taughts that stop you thinking you know it all. Always learning, I go out regulary with a chap off here and he is in his fifties or so and NEVER had a accident *taps the desk(touch wood) And he still tells me he is learning all the time, and he has 2 of the fastest bikes you can buy.

But if every time you get on a bike you are rigid stiff with fear that will not help at all. The longer you have a bike and the more you get out with good riders the better and more confidant you will feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The gear is absolutely essential. I've probably mentioned it here before, but when you're in southern Spain you see guys riding sportbikes down the motorway, 120km/h in shorts and a t-shirt. Cringe. Even slide off at that speed and you're pretty much guaranteed to lose all of the skin from the lower half of your body; you'd be better off being killed. In proper gear if you can manage to not come into contact with anything, then a slide down the road will probably result in a sore arse and maybe a few ligament injuries.

The real key to avoiding serious injury is to do your best to avoid coming into contact with anything else. Drive at speed which enables you to stop within the distance you can see to be clear - even if that means slowing down to 15km/h because you can't see past the bus on your left, then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

You're not likely to fall off the bike at all at 80km/h unless you're gunning it on the twisties and low/high side it. Crashing at 80km/h, wouldn't fancy my chances there tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Simona1986 wrote: »
    You're not likely to fall off the bike at all at 80km/h unless you're gunning it on the twisties and low/high side it. Crashing at 80km/h, wouldn't fancy my chances there tbh.

The fall doesn't worry me, It's the ground! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

As said already one crash can be totally different from the next.

Lowsiding on a corner with a large hard shoulder and you will probably get away with a few bruises.

Same accident on a road with no hard shoulder and a brick wall could be very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

bikes can have less risk too.

i got hit in the rear by a artic truck in the car. if i was on the bike i wouldnt have been there.

crashes have too many variables. dont worry about it.

i find you have most slips or slides when your trying to be really careful.

faster you go faster your clear of the slidy patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

How did ya manage that?
    Was is just a slip or is the bike too big for ya? Or what?

Just wondering what circumstances made you fall off... twice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

man first day i had mine out i low sided (tore shifter toe section off)

after getting that fixed i dropped her on me on a kerb with a slope.

same day, 1 hr apart. fml

why do we fall? so we learn to pick ourselves up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭robot7080

I agree about the fear thing. I've been on bikes 5 years and in the car 2. People often ask 'is it not really dangerous' and I say that i drive it responsibly, have done training, have good gear and yeah it's dangerous and yeah I'm afraid i'll come off and thats a constant reminder to wear the trousers on a hot day or the boots while just going upto the shop.

To date, I'm yet to come off the bike (unless you count driving while the disc lock is on!!) but I've spun the car out twice in the cold... I've far less concentration as I have no fear while wrapped up in a shell. Don't worry about falling off it twice... it'll be the kick up the arse to get good gear and training

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

I hit a car almost head last week going 60km/h because the bastard decided to turn into my lane without looking (I didnt see you was naturally his excuse). I was wearing all my gear except protective pants. All I got was soft tissue damage ( swelling in my right knee) but no bruises or breaks. This could have possibly been prevented had i been wearing protective pants rather than jeans.

So, as long as you wear your full gear, you should be ok...then again i could be wrong and just extremely lucky, either way, Ride Safe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

So, as long as you wear your full gear, you should be ok...

This is a dangerous attitude, I've known lads to take a lot more risks on the road than they usually would simply because they have their leathers, back protector etc. on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

kaimera wrote: »
    why do we fall? so we learn to pick ourselves up.

Exactly Albert :pac:

My first day taking my bike out of my back garden I was going around my park, no tax, no insurance, no helmet, no clue....was trying to do a U-turn but had no clue how and my dads explanation lacked depth....Let go of the clutch and hit a kerb coming down. (No damage to me or the bike)

2 weeks after doing my IBT and full of confidence I decide to go to Kinsale, then on to Garretstown going around twisties where I see signs for road works but no road works so I continue on flying. Into a bend going 50 km, and I see gravel less than 15 meters ahead, manage to correct emergency break then hit a ditch and fell directly on my side...sore thumb and slight scratch on the bike...

I'm far more afraid of slow speeds than high. At high speed I'll be seen because it's easier to spot a moving object. At slow speeds I might be missed despite hi-vis. It's not like I'm gonna fall off going on a straight road at 120kmph. But it could happen in an estate going 10kmph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

OP, i would not be afraid of the speed I am doing but rather of what stops me!

Advertisement