Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Device with which to record a live electronic set

• 09-12-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any thoughts on a way to record a DJ & drummer set?

Basically I want to take a record line out of the mixer or desk into a recording device.

Is it possible to buy a cheap audio recorder / playback with a jack input? Or should I get a laptop? iPod? Or what?

Your thoughts on the best and most cost effective solution would be gratefully recieved!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Are you using live drums of electric?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Hi Mordeith

Electric drums into one mixer channel, Ableton Live into the other channel...

Sky King wrote: »
    Hi Mordeith

Electric drums into one mixer channel, Ableton Live into the other channel...

Well presuming you're only getting a single line out from the mixer then using another laptop to record is the easiest option (assuming you have access to another laptop). You could use Audacity or EXP Studio to record (both free)

Technically it should be possible to playback and record simultaneously on the one laptop but I wouldn't fancy that as there be a big risk of buffer issues I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I dont have another laptop and there's no way i'd chance it on one!

Well you could invest in a dedicated recorder like the ZOOM H4N or H2N or even the H1N

http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=29790

http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=29166

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Second for the Zoom H4N.

I use it all the time for recording our band's rehearsals and we get very good results.

Advertisement