Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf Owners Please

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

September1 wrote: »
    All your observations are true and valid, I think people though are not appreciating how you deliver your message. I think EV drivers are getting a lot of negative feedback, so it makes them touchy.

Well I suppose there will be allways a few people who will become touchy and a bit aggitated,and not wish to hear some truths and realisms on the matter.

Be it a Nissan Leaf or any other type of car (petrol,diesel).

But if 1 or 2 stops along the way to charge up the car (if the charge point isnt blocked and if its actually working),spend more time getting there,and to have to drive alot more miles and alot slower on a motorway is your thing........then sure blow a big wad of cash,buy a Leaf and knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

paddy147 wrote: »
    Well I suppose there will be allways a few people who will become touchy and a bit aggitated,and not wish to hear some truths and realisms on the matter.

Be it a Nissan Leaf or any other type of car (petrol,diesel).

I know about that I fell sorry for you, that such a vulnerable person like you has been exposed to abuse from EV community for no reason, no reason at all. Some people forgot that this forum is also for sharing wisdom and experience and when someone smarter like you comes, they would try to keep you silent. They forget that truth will surface anyway. I deeply appreciate what you are doing here and future generations reading this thread would certainly share my sentiment.
    But if 1 or 2 stops along the way to charge up the car (if the charge point isnt blocked and if its actually working),spend more time getting there,and to have to drive alot more miles and alot slower on a motorway is your thing........then sure blow a big wad of cash,buy a Leaf and knock yourself out.

This is exactly what I say to people when they ask me about my LEAF experience - I'm not sure if you drove this car for long enough, and if not then this shows that reaching so accurate conclusions is only in realm of someone who was deep motoring knowledge.

Actually you are a bit wrong, there is never more then about 5% more miles at least on my routes, but that is minor correction and message a whole is true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I know about that I fell sorry for you, that such a vulnerable person like you has been exposed to abuse from EV community for no reason, no reason at all. Some people forgot that this forum is also for sharing wisdom and experience and when someone smarter like you comes, they would try to keep you silent. They forget that truth will surface anyway. I deeply appreciate what you are doing here and future generations reading this thread would certainly share my sentiment.

This is exactly what I say to people when they ask me about my LEAF experience - I'm not sure if you drove this car for long enough, and if not then this shows that reaching so accurate conclusions is only in realm of someone who was deep motoring knowledge.

Actually you are a bit wrong, there is never more then about 5% more miles at least on my routes, but that is minor correction and message a whole is true.

Dont feel sorry for me,as theres nothing to feel sorry for.....Ive no problem if someone wants to have a go...thats the way of the internet and forums like this.

as they say..."if you cant stand the heat,then get out of the kitchen"....

I couldnt care less what anyone has to say to me or about me..especially the ones who think that Nissan Leafs will rule the world and are so great...when they aint...(as shown here)

Had a Nissan Leaf for a day..that was a day too long.
    So glad to get back into my diesel car.:D

I am absolutely sick to death of this BOARDS.IE forum, it's full of trolls that have nothing better to do than to annoy people who create threads and the worst thing is they get a kick out of it and it's allowed to continue, the mods don't mod and I'm sick of my threads getting hijacked.

Surely BOARDS.IE owners I have a right to not be tormented in such a way on every god damn thread I create ?

DO SOMETHING about it.

Why is it only Irish forums I come across this pi*S taking ? it's only this forum I come across people who talk BS just for the sake of being funny or annoying other people.

Surely BOARDS.IE don't want to be known as a form of trolls ? Trolling is a serious issue and it must be stopped and if boards.ie can't understand that the crap I and others are subjected to is trolling then there is no hope for BOARDS.IE

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

paddy147 wrote: »
    Dont feel sorry for me,as theres nothing to feel sorry for.....Ive no problem if someone wants to have a go...thats the way of the internet and forums like this.

as they say..."if you cant stand the heat,then get out of the kitchen"....

I couldnt care less what anyone has to say to me or about me..especially the ones who think that Nissan Leafs will rule the world and are so great...when they aint...(as shown here)

Had a Nissan Leaf for a day..that was a day too long.
    So glad to get back into my diesel car.:D

Don't post in this thread again please.
    I am absolutely sick to death of this BOARDS.IE forum, it's full of trolls that have nothing better to do than to annoy people who create threads and the worst thing is they get a kick out of it and it's allowed to continue, the mods don't mod and I'm sick of my threads getting hijacked.

Surely BOARDS.IE owners I have a right to not be tormented in such a way on every god damn thread I create ?

DO SOMETHING about it.

Why is it only Irish forums I come across this pi*S taking ? it's only this forum I come across people who talk BS just for the sake of being funny or annoying other people.

Surely BOARDS.IE don't want to be known as a form of trolls ? Trolling is a serious issue and it must be stopped and if boards.ie can't understand that the crap I and others are subjected to is trolling then there is no hope for BOARDS.IE

You could try reporting the trolling perhaps nextime

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=TestTransmission;82225946

You could try reporting the trolling perhaps nextime[/QUOTE]

In fairness this is far from being an isolated incident, and not just in my threads either.

Trolling is rampent on Boards.ie

TestTransmission in fairness you have warned a few in my threads, but it's just far too common these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

In fairness this is far from being an isolated incident, and not just in my threads either.

Trolling is rampent on Boards.ie

TestTransmission in fairness you have warned a few in my threads, but it's just far too common these days.

Trolls are rampant on internet forums full stop, just respond to the useful posts and report the trolls.

Confab wrote: »
    Trolls are rampant on internet forums full stop, just respond to the useful posts and report the trolls.

Maybe it is but I've not come across it in such extream on other forums like on Boards.ie.

This is the only Irish forum I'm on.

Anyway I've said my bit so I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Mad lad, its just that e-cars suck so hard and are so expensive to boot.

You didn't expect to come on here and not get a little ripped on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Mad_Lad wrote: »

Maybe it is but I've not come across it in such extream on other forums like on Boards.ie.

This is the only Irish forum I'm on.

Anyway I've said my bit so I'll leave it at that.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=82

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 willynt

Just had a test drive yesterday at Nissan Deansgrange.
    Love the car!
    But noticed back home that they charge €1000 for delivery and "hit the road" charges!
    That's looks very expensive to me. What can justify such a price?
    Has anyone negotiated anything from a Nissan dealer?

willynt wrote: »
    Just had a test drive yesterday at Nissan Deansgrange.
    Love the car!
    But noticed back home that they charge €1000 for delivery and "hit the road" charges!
    That's looks very expensive to me. What can justify such a price?
    Has anyone negotiated anything from a Nissan dealer?

Yeah it's great to drive isn't it ?

Unfortunately the Leaf is already heavily discounted, there is no room for negotiation on price.

All dealers charge for delivery charges usually there is an * and that usually says excluding delivery charges etc.

Are you going on a pcp ? cheapest way if you don't do over 30,000 kms a year + you can hop into the MK II in 3 years with more range.

Thx Mad_Lad,
    Are you going on a pcp ? cheapest way if you don't do over 30,000 kms a year + you can hop into the MK II in 3 years with more range.

Sorry, what is "pcp" and MKII?
    Looks like a brand new Leaf is beyond my budget for now :(
    Looking at a Prius 2009 ("old shape", low mileage) as plan B.

Thx Mad_Lad,

Sorry, what is "pcp" and MKII?
    Looks like a brand new Leaf is beyond my budget for now :(
    Looking at a Prius 2009 ("old shape", low mileage) as plan B.

PCP means personal contract plan, you come up with about 10% deposit, and tell them your yearly mileage and they then give you what's called the GFV or guaranteed future value which lets say for me at 30,000 kms a year over 3 years means about € 7500 euro's and I think that works out about 350 PM which is a lot less than I'd pay off a regular finance or bank loan.

What you pay is depreciation + interest, at the end you either hand back the keys ( which would be a waste of all the money you put into it) or hop into a new one after you come up with another 10%.

usually (though don't count on it) you'll have more than the GFV as they seem to give a lower GFV so you'll have something towards the deposit on the new one. Though it will have to be in pretty good condition.

If you do a lot less miles than me then you pay a lot less.

There is a leaf on donedeal for about 14,500 Probably a U.K import so do the usual checks.

PCP isn't feasible for me since I do more than 30,000 per year and that's just commute mileage unfortunately. Nissan only offer PCP on max 30,000 kms a year. I could probably negotiate an extra 6,000 miles if I was going to buy one.

Thx Mad_Lad!

That's interesring indeed. I do less than 10.000km a year! (~9.000).
    I dunno why the Nissan delaer didn't talk about that option...

There is a 2011 Leaf on CarsIreland.ie
    Any drawbacks if it's been imported from uk??? (what are the "usual checks"?)

Thx a mil for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Any drawbacks if it's been imported from uk?

Have to finance your own home charging point (~€1,000) as these are not offered FOC for second-hand vehicles.

Usual checks = 'Battery Capacity Loss'

Home charging point is a problem even if the car is Irish ;)
    Can I buy the charging point online, and have a local electrician to install it?
    Any good web site to recommend?

How can we check battery capacity?

Thx!

Thx Mad_Lad!

That's interesring indeed. I do less than 10.000km a year! (~9.000).
    I dunno why the Nissan delaer didn't talk about that option...

There is a 2011 Leaf on CarsIreland.ie
    Any drawbacks if it's been imported from uk??? (what are the "usual checks"?)

Thx a mil for your help!

Oh yeah forgot Leaf II will be available in 2016-17 ish.

Windsor Belgard are more than aware of PCP, if that's where you went ?

PCP is only offered this year on the Leaf as far as I'm aware.

As Beazee said, you have to pay for charger install, though I'm sure you can get one cheaper than €1000 these days, maybe try find a charger ( or EVSE) as it's actually called. (the charger is built into the car).

Maybe find out what cable you need and run it yourself from the consumer unit to where you want the evse installed, even mount it yourself and get the spark to just connect it either end.

On the positive side, you do get the portable evse or granny cable as it's called which allows you to plug it into a normal socket for trips to relatives etc.

Battery check is also important you can buy a bluetooth adapter and leafspy app for Android which gives you a good indication of the battery condition.

The Battery displays optimum capacity readings at 20 degrees C, that's battery temp not ambient temp. So it won't display full ah (amp hours available) readings at colder temps.

I forgot to say an EVSE turns up form time to time on E-bay from the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

I'm interested in the Leaf as it could cover pretty much all my driving except maybe a trip to patents who live in the country about 105km away. Going one way should be ok from what I've read but I'd never make it back. I could detour to a charging point but with a small child this is not ideal so what are the options of adding a charger in their house? If I got the 6kW charger I've heard this is not compatible with the granny cable. My dad is an electrician so could probably install an aftermarket on but has anyone tried this? 1000 for an official installation sounds pretty steep.

• Advertisement

timmaii wrote: »
    I'm interested in the Leaf as it could cover pretty much all my driving except maybe a trip to patents who live in the country about 105km away. Going one way should be ok from what I've read but I'd never make it back. I could detour to a charging point but with a small child this is not ideal so what are the options of adding a charger in their house? If I got the 6kW charger I've heard this is not compatible with the granny cable. My dad is an electrician so could probably install an aftermarket on but has anyone tried this? 1000 for an official installation sounds pretty steep.

It really depends how long do you plan to stay with your parents, but granny cable would charge car it would just be much slower. If you visit them for a day this should be fine, but if you spend there hour or two it may be not enough. Aftermarket chargers are still expensive but if you can install them yourself there is some scope to save money.

It really depends how long do you plan to stay with your parents, but granny cable would charge car it would just be much slower. If you visit them for a day this should be fine, but if you spend there hour or two it may be not enough. Aftermarket chargers are still expensive but if you can install them yourself there is some scope to save money.

I do agree with September1. I only use granny cable at home, charge in about 8hrs (from 25% to full). Good enough for my day to day use.

If you do not stay overnight, then a 30min stop at a Fast charging point is your best option.

A home charge point is ~€600 + vat.

Hi lads, thanks for the quick replies. I would always be staying overnight so the granny cable option sounds perfect. willynt, is it the new(er) Leaf you have with the 6.6kW charger? For some reason I thought I had read that these wouldn't work with the granny cable. If so, are you using the official Nissan one or could you point me in the direction of where you got yours. I found someone saying that the Ampera cable would work but the site if a bit low on details. http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vehicles/vauxhall-range/cars/ampera/ownership/accessories.html

timmaii wrote: »
    Hi lads, thanks for the quick replies. I would always be staying overnight so the granny cable option sounds perfect. willynt, is it the new(er) Leaf you have with the 6.6kW charger? For some reason I thought I had read that these wouldn't work with the granny cable. If so, are you using the official Nissan one or could you point me in the direction of where you got yours. I found someone saying that the Ampera cable would work but the site if a bit low on details. http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vehicles/vauxhall-range/cars/ampera/ownership/accessories.html

6.6kW cable should work with granny cable - only car that cannot use that cable is Renault ZOE, at least to my knowledge. Vauxhaul or Renault granny cables should work without issues, if you father is happy to do some electrician DIY it is possible to assemble charger at home https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

I think the question is: "can I charge at 6.6kW rate from domestic socket through granny cable".
    Then the answer would be - no, any domestic socket, would not allow for more than 3.8kW (16A*230V) charge while the granny cable would limit the current (for safety reasons) to ~10A resulting in 2.4kW taken (~3x slower than 6.6kW).

To charge at 6.6kW you need the connect to the homecharger or on-street post.

Hi beazee, no I realise that I won't get the full 6.6kW power but that's ok as a long charge time would be fine. I just got confused about the actual compatibility of the granny cable to the newer Leaf model for some reason (there's a lot of info out there to get your head around!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

I had a drive in a LEAF owned by one of the lads in work the other day. Its a fantastic car! Its quite (silent!) quick comfy and very well spec'd.
    Are there any updates on the ZOE? They seem to have a great charging system (0-100% in 1.5hrs from a non FC?) and decent range. Has anyone here driven one? Do they even sell them here yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

I had a drive in a LEAF owned by one of the lads in work the other day. Its a fantastic car! Its quite (silent!) quick comfy and very well spec'd.
    Are there any updates on the ZOE? They seem to have a great charging system (0-100% in 1.5hrs from a non FC?) and decent range. Has anyone here driven one? Do they even sell them here yet?

It's quite quick, but is it quiet :P

Zoe will always charge in under an hour from a non qc via 20 KV ac chargers.

Zoe is quiet slow 14 seconds 0-100 I couldn't go from 10.5 second in the MK II Prius to something slower.

• Advertisement

I see no reason why Nissan can't make a granny cable available for the 6.6 kw charger.

The Zoe can now charge from a 3 pin socket.

I personally would go with the 6.6 kw charging as there is far more non fast chargers than fast. 6.6 kw will reduce charge time in half from home or normal public charger.

Of course Zoe can charge the fastest from all the non fast chargers in 1 hr from pushing it to the charger.

The newer fast chargers will have leaf, Zoe and all eu and us made ev plugs.

Advertisement