Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stout Kit

Options
  • 09-12-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭

I got a Cooper's Irish stout kit as a gift recently, along with a 1.5kg tub of liquid malt extract light. Would I be okay using this, or would I be better off getting dark malt extract and keeping the light for another brew?

The recommended amount of LME to use was 1KG, but I was just going to use the whole 1.5kg, as I wouldn't be starting another brew for a while and wouldn't want a third of an opened can lying around. Would using too much light malt extract lead to an odd colour in the stout and, most importantly, would it adversely affect its flavour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

It will be fine , colour wont alter much its just your fermemtables ,spraymalt 1kg would be approx same as 1.5 kg tin ,use whole tin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I usually do that kit with the full 1.5kg of LME, but with whatever pours out... I don't get the last of it out with boiled water like most cans. Turns out great, especially when allowed to mature a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I got a Cooper's Irish stout kit as a gift recently, along with a 1.5kg tub of liquid malt extract light. Would I be okay using this, or would I be better off getting dark malt extract and keeping the light for another brew?

The recommended amount of LME to use was 1KG, but I was just going to use the whole 1.5kg, as I wouldn't be starting another brew for a while and wouldn't want a third of an opened can lying around. Would using too much light malt extract lead to an odd colour in the stout and, most importantly, would it adversely affect its flavour?

Na it will be grand, as I bet the kit is probably recommending using sugar to make up the fermentables and LME is a much better option regardless of color

Hi ,tried one of the coopers choc milk stouts 6wks in bottle now ,and its lovely , a bit over carbonated thats all,ill reduce priming sugar nxt time

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

tteknulp wrote: »
    Hi ,tried one of the coopers choc milk stouts 6wks in bottle now ,and its lovely , a bit over carbonated thats all,ill reduce priming sugar nxt time
    Any recipes for this have an Irish stout kit and lactose just can never find the recipe thanks

• Advertisement

gazahayes wrote: »
    Any recipes for this have an Irish stout kit and lactose just can never find the recipe thanks

[URL="[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/92518380@N07/8409401992/][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8238/8409401992_684f1a77dd.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/92518380@N07/8409401992/]20121101_164303[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/92518380@N07/]tteknulp[/url], on Flickr"][/url]8409401992_684f1a77dd.jpg 20121101_164303 by tteknulp, on Flickr

Double Chocolate Stout Homebrew

Recipe:

Added 2 litre boiling water in pot or pan, then added Coopers Stout Kit, then dissolved 500gm Dark malt extract and 300g lactose, Finally i added 100g unsweetened cocoa powder and 200mls good quality chocolate syrup(Herseys ice cream stuff), until all disolved. Added to fermenter and added water to 19 Litres and added yeast from kit.then paint stirrer with drill give it good stir,Then i Fermented it for 2 weeks at 20C. . I got 5.3% ABV . Note, no dextrose was added to the recipe if you want to beef up abv maybe add some but i think its strong enough already for a stout.

add more water to f.v.t make weaker up to 23 ltr

Have fun ,Michael

Advertisement