Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering dropping out...

Options
  • 09-12-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm almost 4 months into an MSc and I feel like all hope is lost, time to depart etc etc. Apart from the course being an absolute shambles (i.e. constant timetable changes, postponing of exams, lecturer changes and so on), my heart is just not in it. I did extremely well in my undergrad course (a completely different area) but the postgrad has just been a complete struggle, leaving me exhausted and anxious all the time.

It's a conversion course by the way, and involves problem solving for the most. My undergrad however, involved mainly written expression (Arts degree), something which I excel at. I fear I've made a grave mistake in my course choice and have not played to my strengths. Maths was a subject I loathed and now I've found myself in a position where mathematical skill is a necessity to succeed in my current area. Stupid choice, I know.

So, I'm just wondering what procedures do I need to follow to call it a day as I have exams coming up in two weeks and feel it's pointless to even put in the effort to continue. At best I'll just scrape through. Also, if in the future I intend on pursuing a different Masters, what effect will leaving my present course have on future academic prospects?

Lastly, I intend on going abroad early in the new year to do a CELTA course and teach english (which I think should have been my direction in terms of postgrad study). Am I eligible to claim social welfare immediately after dropping out or is there a period of time that I will have to wait before I am eligible?

Thanks in advance for any help and info folks. I'm at a loss at the moment and don't particularly want to waste any more time and money... :cool:

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

Hi JayC5,

Just letting you know I'm a maths tutor and I've helped many students who are struggling with maths/stats in masters courses.

PM me if interested! Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 16 valencia89

Hi JayC5,
    Im currently in the same boat,did an arts degree and now doing a masters that requires maths,way over my head. Just wondering did you get any of your fees refunded if you dropped out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Jay,

I encourage you to do whatever you know is best for you - and you alone - and to do what you know will make you happiest. This sounds an easy thing to do, but I know that it isn't and that you're in a difficult situation right now. Just a bit of info: I left my 4-year undergraduate degree in the final year just months before the final exams. I never got anything for it but have since gone on to do great things in my life in a different subject area.

To me, it sounds as if you have already made up your mind and that you just want encouragement to take the decision. So, I wish you luck ...

Kevin

Advertisement