Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying kerbs - Current rates and what's involved

Options
  • 09-12-2012 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

We are currently in the process of laying kerbs on my property in Kerry. 170 kerbs (2 foot long each) were required for the job.
    A driver and digger were employed to help with the job. We agreed a price with the digger driver. He has his digger available for the duration of the job.
    3 builders were employed for the job. One of these is mixing and drawing concrete.

We have contacted some people about quotations for kerb layers. Basically I was told that in BOOM times the cost of laying each kerb was generally the same price as the kerb itself.

In my case, each kerb costs 4euro (so 4 euro for laying each kerb would have been the BOOM time rate).
    At that rate of going, 180 * 4 = €720 would be the cost of the kerb layers for laying the kerbs (excluding cost of digger).

As we are now in BUST times I was informed that rates can be as low as 3/5 of that cost.

My problem is this - the kerb layer is now claiming a cost OVER 2 times the cost of the BOOM rate to lay the kerbs!!!! We have already paid OVER the BOOM time rate to the kerb layers involved but we are disputing the additional costs he is now seeking for the "extra time for preparatory work". (He is claiming that most of the time was spent in preparatory work - but that was what the digger was there to assist with!)
    The digger driver stuck with his original quotation for the job, even though he was there for longer than anticipated.

I have the following questions:
    1. Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for laying kerbs in Kerry at current prices?
    2. Does the rate include getting the levels right? (kerb layers have lasers to assist with this)? If not, how much extra would this cost?
    3. Does the rate in 1 including pointing? If not, how much extra would this cost?
    4. Does the rate in 1 include any extra preparatory work that may be required (e.g., digging, filling gravel, etc.)? Bear in mind that we have a digger driver available to assist with this.

We agreed a fixed daily rate for undertaking the job with the kerb layers and we really feel that they have prolonged the task for their own personal gain. (We were working so could not keep an eye on the kerb layers during the day).

We feel they are really, really screwing us, but would like to get an objective opinion.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

sl wrote: »
    Hi,

We are currently in the process of laying kerbs on my property in Kerry. 170 kerbs (2 foot long each) were required for the job.
    A driver and digger were employed to help with the job. We agreed a price with the digger driver. He has his digger available for the duration of the job.
    3 builders were employed for the job. One of these is mixing and drawing concrete.

We have contacted some people about quotations for kerb layers. Basically I was told that in BOOM times the cost of laying each kerb was generally the same price as the kerb itself.

In my case, each kerb costs 4euro (so 4 euro for laying each kerb would have been the BOOM time rate).
    At that rate of going, 180 * 4 = €720 would be the cost of the kerb layers for laying the kerbs (excluding cost of digger).

As we are now in BUST times I was informed that rates can be as low as 3/5 of that cost.

My problem is this - the kerb layer is now claiming a cost OVER 2 times the cost of the BOOM rate to lay the kerbs!!!! We have already paid OVER the BOOM time rate to the kerb layers involved but we are disputing the additional costs he is now seeking for the "extra time for preparatory work". (He is claiming that most of the time was spent in preparatory work - but that was what the digger was there to assist with!)
    The digger driver stuck with his original quotation for the job, even though he was there for longer than anticipated.

I have the following questions:
    1. Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for laying kerbs in Kerry at current prices?
    2. Does the rate include getting the levels right? (kerb layers have lasers to assist with this)? If not, how much extra would this cost?
    3. Does the rate in 1 including pointing? If not, how much extra would this cost?
    4. Does the rate in 1 include any extra preparatory work that may be required (e.g., digging, filling gravel, etc.)? Bear in mind that we have a digger driver available to assist with this.

We agreed a fixed daily rate for undertaking the job with the kerb layers and we really feel that they have prolonged the task for their own personal gain. (We were working so could not keep an eye on the kerb layers during the day).

We feel they are really, really screwing us, but would like to get an objective opinion.

Thank you in advance.
    Never ever, ever take anybody on day work:eek:. I don't know the rate but you did make life easy for them providing the digger. All the levels and preperation is part of laying the kerbs so it is not extra on the price. Thats like a block layer charging extra for keeping the blocks level and square. You got caught plain and simple. If I were in your position pay them up to date and get rid of them. Get a diffirent guy in, agree a price to finish and consider it an expensive lesson learned. If you keep entertaining these guys they will bleed you dry.
    You should not go this route but I had guys giving quotes for day rate from €80-€100 per day even though I was looking for a price for the job. You give them day rate and they spend half the time on the mobile phone:confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

Laying kerbs isnt rocket science, one man and a labourer cold do that work and unless its very uneven there wouldnt be much need for a digger just for kerbs.They are taking the p**s to be honest. Most tradesmen are working for 120-150 euro per day,a labourer would be less. Day rates are ok once you know the tradesman well and know he wont take the p**s.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Why lay curbs. I had a contractor come in a put down 135 meters of pour as you go curbs. It cost €1350. He supplied all labor and material. It took 2 days. He done everything I asked him to do regarding getting the falls and curves. In my option they are a much better curb. They also can be poured to any color. In reality I don't think taking all into consideration if you would be getting away much less that €10 a meter for the normal curbs.

http://www.elegantkerbing.com/Kerb/Default.aspx

Advertisement