Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usenet busted (Read mod notes: posts #2 & #12)

Options
  • 09-12-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

Well I think usenet is pretty much done as a file sharing platform. The largest indexer NZBmatrix went offline today coupled with Newzbin2 a few weeks back, I imagine the rest don't have long. I only mention them by name now as they can no longer be used. File sharers are running out of places to hide, however with better legal content providers available (Spotify, Netflix etc) it doesn't matter as much.

It still is a real pain, I have a server set up with SABnzbd, Sickbeard and CouchPotato so the whole thing was automated. I spent time and money getting it all set up right and now I have to go back to the drawing board.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod: While discussion on this topic is welcome, please no discussion of current active warez sites/workarounds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

I was always told usenet was untouchable when compared to the other forms of filesharing. I see that they are actually removing content aswell as shutting down the sites. They seem to be making a push lately with a few other sites not related to usenet been shut by FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

iMuse wrote: »
    I was always told usenet was untouchable when compared to the other forms of filesharing. I see that they are actually removing content aswell as shutting down the sites. They seem to be making a push lately with a few other sites not related to usenet been shut by FACT.

What has hurt them the most was the withdrawl of payment services from PayPal and the like. In the long run Bitcoin will take over, but atm it's not user friendly at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

sink wrote: »
    Well I think usenet is pretty much done as a file sharing platform. The largest indexer NZBmatrix went offline today coupled with Newzbin2 a few weeks back, I imagine the rest don't have long. I only mention them by name now as they can no longer be used. File sharers are running out of places to hide, however with better legal content providers available (Spotify, Netflix etc) it doesn't matter as much.

It still is a real pain, I have a server set up with SABnzbd, Sickbeard and CouchPotato so the whole thing was automated. I spent time and money getting it all set up right and now I have to go back to the drawing board.

CouchPotato and SickBeard still work well with torrents though you can configure CouchPotato to 'watch' a folder that you drop torrents into.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

Absolutely devastated over this. :( Nothing can compare to nzbmatrix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,771 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

yes pain in the arse it's gone if anyone's got decent alternative's please drop me a pm off list. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I think the media industry need to start focusing on alternative cash methods then this... sure its only a matter of time before another big player comes along to fill the nzbmatrix void... they are there already but are more cautious.

If the film / tv industry provided services like spotify with ALL content quickly available I think many people would pay for it if they price was fair of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Ditto to Adamligha,

however I know lots of providers have locked their doors until the dust settles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Please don't mention active sites or request information otherwise the Mods will lock this thread as per the site rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Not to worry, Kim dot com will be back in the new year with a fresh megaupload incarnation.

• Advertisement

There is to be no mention of any comparing websites that are still available. Bans will be handed down any further mentions. This includes asking for invites.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

It's a shame that it's closed but you don’t need indexing sites to use UseNet, it’s more of an inconvenience than anything else. Regardless Usenet is not dead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Slightly annoyed about NZBmatrix throwing in the towel - so what if they had to deal with the takedown notices for films, it was still dead handy for all the other things they indexed, ebooks/tv/music etc

As someone else said this is really just an inconvenience more than anything else... the next thing to spring up will be personal usenet indexing services that you run on your own PC surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Tails142 wrote: »
    The next thing to spring up will be personal usenet indexing services that you run on your own PC surely?

It can already be done, just takes alot of work and resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    It can already be done, just takes alot of work and resources.

This^

I Am currently doing this right now but it takes weeks for it to be as complete as nzbmatrix was.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Frankly I just don't use such services that much anymore. Paid and free legitimate services have exploded and it's just frankly more convenient to get things than it used to be. Of the sites I occasionally employee I simply stick to the rule that I don't go places that are mentioned in the media and elsewhere. People think "Herpderp Pirate Bay LOLZ" and suddenly PB becomes a honeypot for copyright holders to track down filesharers and seed their own malware. I know because I once made the mistake of talking on Boards.ie in the open not about the specific ins and outs of a specific postal service being offered in from an overseas vendor, but simply talking about the fact that products might be coming in from an overseas vendor from a particular region, and surely enough within a month Irish Customs copped on and an operation that was running smoothly under the Harm Principle for what I'm sure was a couple years was finally clamped down on and they removed Ireland from their list of destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭BENDERS LINKS

File sharers are running out of places to hide, however with better legal content providers available (Spotify, Netflix etc) it doesn't matter as much.
    Yea, that's actually what one of the head music guys said at a hearing in the US few months back when he wanted Bittorrent/Usenet shut down..."Look at all the new services we've provided" though he left out the part about fighting tooth and nail to avoid having to provide them at all.

Record labels sue Digiweb, UPC, Imagine, Vodafone and 3 to block The Pirate Bay

iMuse wrote: »
    First rule about Usenet, don't talk about Use...oh wait it's been on every tech site with user guides for years now.

http://torrentfreak.com/usenet-feels-the-heat-as-copyright-holders-try-to-strip-away-content-121109/
    What has hurt them the most was the withdrawl of payment services from PayPal and the like. In the long run Bitcoin will take over, but atm it's not user friendly at all.
    Bitcoin gets banking rights

Total number of Bitcoins hits 10.5 million, production halves to stop inflation

^^^Guys that got in early can live the high life off this now.
    fionny wrote: »

If the film / tv industry provided services like spotify with ALL content quickly available I think many people would pay for it if they price was fair of course.
    Would you?

fionny wrote: »
    Ditto to Adamligha,

however I know lots of providers have locked their doors until the dust settles.
    LOL, I scrolled back up to see what "Adam" said. Whats this about?

mikom wrote: »
    Not to worry, Kim dot com will be back in the new year with a fresh megaupload incarnation.
    Theirs one seriously big name helping to block this lad...rotten like so many things nowadays when you look into it...a month after revealing Megabox, (to put the “dinosaur record labels” out of business) a service that would let Artists directly sell their music and keep 90% of the revenue, megaupload is raided.

Kim Dotcom loses new domain in preemptive strike by government

Can't keep a good thing down though, back under a .nz url.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/11/kim-dotcom-has-new-mega-domain-says-this-one-wont-be-shut-down/

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2223907/kim-dotcom-s-mega-gets-another-domain-name
    is now Mega.co.nz. This has an unfortunate connotation, that it is a mega con,
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I tried to switch to usenet a while ago but it wasn't worth the hassle. I stuck with <most famous torrent site - Hint: Think eye patches>.
    If I'm caught, I'm caught. The prospect of that isn't going to change my behaviour.

I tried to switch to usenet a while ago but it wasn't worth the hassle. I stuck with <most famous torrent site - Hint: Think eye patches>.
    If I'm caught, I'm caught. The prospect of that isn't going to change my behaviour.
    1.5 million fine for 20 songs if RIAA have their way.

New Canadian Laws (which will probably be normish after awhile) have it set at no more than $5000.

US soon to launch 6 strikes (or have already) France have 3 Strikes going this few years, first guy in court awhile back...here. Wasn't me and not securing your own internet connection are not a defense. Settled for just €150.

1.5 million fine for 20 songs if RIAA have their way.

New Canadian Laws (which will probably be normish after awhile) have it set at no more than $5000.

US soon to launch 6 strikes (or have already) France have 3 Strikes going this few years, first guy in court awhile back...here. Wasn't me and not securing your own internet connection are not a defense.

Good luck to anyone looking 1.5 million off me... the government couldn't afford it at this rate!

If I can't afford to pay to download a film/tv show every week I can't afford the fine so what difference does it make.
    If a silly fine arrives in the post there will be a whole protest and kick off about it and after trying to lock up 50-100 people out of approx 2 million of us in Ireland alone they will give up and try and find ways to convince people that there is some added value from buying music.

• Advertisement

Good luck to anyone looking 1.5 million off me... the government couldn't afford it at this rate!
    A fiver a week in the post office be grand sure...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

<SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just like torrents, private indexing servers are the way to go. You can easily run your own, it's just that being a database running myphp and mysql, it's a little heavy to run and would need a dedicated server. Pm me.

Any more invite talk to warez sites and thread will be locked. final warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah after the intial shock of nzbmatrix closing down I looked into what it would take to set up my own nzb nabber - after a little bit of work I got it set up last night :D

Its not entirely the same though because nzbmatrix was quite well polished but it will do for now I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Hi,
    Curious about netflix, is it possible to download content or only stream ?

also what types of netspeed to you need to stream 1080p ?

Im thinking minimum of 20Mb ...

the_monkey wrote: »
    Hi,
    Curious about netflix, is it possible to download content or only stream ?

also what types of netspeed to you need to stream 1080p ?

Im thinking minimum of 20Mb ...

Netflix only support streaming. Tbh I'd say a 5mb connection up should be fine, for slower connections just leave the stream buffering for a few minutes before you start to watch it, this should ensure the content will play uninterrupted :)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »

Netflix only support streaming. Tbh I'd say a 5mb connection up should be fine, for slower connections just leave the stream buffering for a few minutes before you start to watch it, this should ensure the content will play uninterrupted :)

Nick

Agreed. The quality is okay, the big shock for me was the lack of content! Even when i had a free trial i still downloaded the same as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

things get shut down, internet savvy users find a way of doing the same thing differently, then more and more people catch on and eventually so does the industry and the cogs turn to get that shut down and the whole thing goes round in circles.

i'm sure someone somewhere is already working on the next big thing. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm sure someone somewhere is already working on the next big thing. :)

aye hopefully Kim Dotcom with his hyped site "Mega" will turn the wolves attention to his door

haven't been on Usenet in years, I just use a private site that has all the content required

Advertisement