Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shankill / Shanganagh Road - House

Options
  • 09-12-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and the other half are looking at potentially buying a house on Shanganagh Road in Shankill.

I'm trying to do a bit of research on the area and from what I've read so far -there are very mixed opinions! I had always thought of Shankill as a quiet, safe place and while most of the opinions on it are good, a lot have mentioned staying away from the north end of the road.

The house we're looking at is in Abingdon Park so it backs onto Rathsallagh Park which doesn't seem to have the best reputation. (Not my opinion - I don't know the area at all).

Anyone from around the area able to give us a little more info? Any recommendations/warnings about the area?

Thanks all,

Z.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its a odd overall area. Rathsallagh is quite rough, but an old council estate kinda rough. The cliffs are a absolute ****hole but relativly isolated from the rest and right beside one of the nicest estates in the area(Corbawn). Most of the estates in the area are places I would be happy to live in.

I'm not overly familiar with that particular section but since its not on a direct route to a shop or pub from the rough areas I wouldn't foresee any huge issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I'd agree with Cuddlesworth. Rathsallagh is generally quiet enough, the odd party and the odd family argument that's brought outside, however I'd never feel unsafe or uncomfortable walking around at night. Over the Dart line and into the Cliffs, although it's your most direct route onto the beach, i wouldn't go alone at night.

Apart from the above, Shankill is an enjoyable place to live. There's some nice cafés on the main street as well as further up at the BBQ centre. Brady's is a nice pub for a quiet pint and their Sunday carvery is lovely. You have the beach 5-10 minutes walk away. 15-20 minutes walk to Shanganagh Park which also has an entrance onto the beach. You'll be a 5 minute drive from the M50, a 5 minute walk to Shankill Dart station, 10 minutes to Bray, and less than 5 minutes onto the southbound M50/M11. You're a quick drive to any number of pleasant drives or walks through the wicklow and dublin mountains.

Closest big shops are Tesco in Ballybrack and Lidl on the outskirts of N. Bray, there's a Centra in Rathsallagh, Tesco express and Spar in Shankill Village. Carrickmines retail park and Dundrum shopping centre are short drive away. Dun Laoghaire is 20 minutes on the Dart.

Advertisement