Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do GPs take on students for work experience in Ireland?

Options
  • 09-12-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

I'm going for a medical interview in the UK soon and work experience in a hospital/GP is deemed to be important as it shows an interest and enthusiasm towards medicine.

I couldn't find a hospital willing to take me on for work experience and I haven't asked my GP yet, but I can't imagine he will be willing to take me on either..

However, I've heard that in the United Kingdom, nearly all prospective medical students obtain work experience shadowing a doctor.. due to the big differences between UCAS and the CAO, are the UK doctors just more open to taking on students because they'll need work experience?

Has anyone ever heard of a student shadowing a GP in Ireland? I suggested it to my parents and they seemed baffled by the idea, saying it would be a complete breach of patient-doctor confidentiality.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

My friend shadowed his GP for a few days in fifth year, I don't know how much he saw or whatever but yeah he was definitely allowed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I shadowed mine for a few days over the summer and it was absolutely fine. He asked everyone if they'd mind if I was there and only one person didn't want me there. I suppose it all comes down to what your GP's like really, but it's worth a try in my opinion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My GP had a medical student in on experience for a week recently, think she was in fourth year medicine?

Stheno wrote: »
    My GP had a medical student in on experience for a week recently, think she was in fourth year medicine?

Ahh that's different though, the OP is in secondary school looking for work experience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Tough one, I'm a GP and a tutor for UCD but I'd never even consider allowing as secondary school student to shadow me. It's just too messy in terms of patient confidentiality and ethics. would happily show some one around the practice and explain what we do, but exposure to patients is a different thing entirely,

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    Tough one, I'm a GP and a tutor for UCD but I'd never even consider allowing as secondary school student to shadow me. It's just too messy in terms of patient confidentiality and ethics. would happily show some one around the practice and explain what we do, but exposure to patients is a different thing entirely,

Yeah this is the kinda answer I was expecting. I was suprised when my mate got work experience with his GP, I know the Doctor is quite an old guy so I'm assuming his whole family have been going to that guy for years and years and I think also the family might know him closely otherwise, so I'd say it's on your GP's discretion OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Yeah this is the kinda answer I was expecting. I was suprised when my mate got work experience with his GP, I know the Doctor is quite an old guy so I'm assuming his whole family have been going to that guy for years and years and I think also the family might know him closely otherwise, so I'd say it's on your GP's discretion OP.

I know when I did mine it was the practice manager and not a GP who agreed to it and just sent me in with some GPs, practice nurse, phlebotomist etc for a few days. I can't say it was very useful but if you need it to tick boxes on a CV that doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

RobFowl wrote: »

Would you be willing to take on a graduate who is seeking entry into Medicine now, as an observer? I would be oh so grateful if you do...

Advertisement