Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltacht 2013

• 09-12-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in fifth year, and am considering attending a 3 week course in the gaeltacht this summer. Can anybody please share their experiences and recommend somewhere where I will learn lots of Irish for my Leaving Cert and also have some fun? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Go to Colaiste sheosaimh in Connemara .. I went and found it brillant especially before the LC year :) good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I would definitely recommend Coláiste na bhFiann to you! Peopl often criticise it about having too much time devoted to mass and other aspects of the irish language but if you really want to improve your standard of Irish, head to a Riail A course with Coláiste na bhFiann.

The best thing with the C na bhF is the Cumann na bhFiann it provides throughout the academic year. This is an irish youth club which is run with association to the gaeltacht, where you meet up with friends you made over your time at the gaeltacht. There is one in almost all counties now as well and is a great way to continue improving your standard of irish so it won't fall from the summer!

There is no emphasis on written irish there too. It is all oral work and it is going to try and maximise the marks you get on your oral paper as that is the part of the paper you need to ace really! You do learn essay phrases and other nathanna cainte and great sayings too each day so it will improve both your standard of written irish and spoken.

PM if you've any queries about C na bhF! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I went to Chólaiste Chorca Dhuibhne in the Dingle, I'd highly recommend it! I've went twice now, one time in Ceann Trá (Ventry) the Summer before the JC and last Summer to Ballyferreter for my Leaving this year and I have to say it's well worth it, I learned a huge amount of Irish, also they strike a good balance between learning Irish for the sake of it and a focus on the Leaving cert, like I have quite a lot of conversational Irish now but also they brought in an Irish oral examiner for a day to give us a presentation on the oral, and she gave fantastic notes! She did out notes for every sraithpictiúr! Also I liked Corca Dhuibne because it was in houses, which I prefer much more to dorms, you're way more likely to speak more Irish then when the teachers aren't around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Colaiste Chamuis!!
    Coláiste Chamuis is situated in the heart of the Connemara Gaeltacht, the biggest Irish-speaking region in the country. Courses are organised in Camus, An Tulach and Ros a’ Mhíl where we have our own newly built ultra-modern centre, Teálta na hÓige.

It was set up and is run by the professor of Irish at Nuig, Gearóid Denvir.. Who is a complete ledge! and you will learn loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 blanche 123

I have a son doing his Leaving Cert in June 2014. Need some advice on where is the best Irish College to send him to in July 2013. He has been to Corca Duibhne and Litir Meallain previously. He needs to go somewhere than will be strict on speaking Irish and doing work relevant to the LC Course....any recommendations???

• Advertisement
Advertisement