Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft Match 10: Xavi6 v Incognito Man

• 09-12-2012 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

This match will decide a place in the SF and will last for 48 hours, in which time the participants will need to outline their team, basic strategy, and strategy against their opponent.

There will be a poll but only votes with answers developed in a post will be taken into consideration. This development doesn't have to be paragraphs long, even a single sentence is fine. But don't vote until the competitors have had a chance to outline their teams.

Who wins? 4 votes

Xavi6
    0%
    Incognito Man
    100%
    SEPT 23 1989eagle eyeDoctorGonzo08wardie101 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

abDKDGXa5.jpg

Ok here is my team. Ill start out at the back.

GK:
    Ben Foster. West Broms 6ft 4in keeper is my choice between the sticks. Solid and capable of some sublime saves.

Right Back:
    Coleman. Everton and Ireland right back has shown himself a very useful player since his transfer from sligo rovers. Very good going forward and I know people will pick on him for his defending but he is a player I feel is improving that area of his game the whole time.

Centre Back:
    Mertesacker. A regular at the heart of both Arsenal and Germany defences Per will add a wealth of experience at the back. At 28 he has over 80 caps already for Germany.

Evans. Arguably Man Utd's best defender for the last 12 months. Jonny has had to step in and fill the void left by vidic at united and he has done a very good job of it.

Left Back:
    Figueroa. A fine left back who can fairly hit a ball. Comfortable on the ball he is one of the leagues most under rated players I feel

Centre Midfield:
    Cabaye. A player who works for his team at both ends of the field scores and creates. Brilliant passer of the ball

Faurlin. Another player with a wonderful range of passing. Despite QPR's shocking run he is one player that Ive always liked when I have seen them play.

Attacking Midfield/Second striker:
    Rooney. My main man. The player who will make my side tick. Dont think anyone needs an introduction to him

Right Wing:
    Lennon. Spurs right winger will cause most left backs problems with his pace and crossing. Should work well with these players

Left Wing:
    Podolski. Class and a very clever player. Had a good goals return last year and has over 100 caps for Germany. At 27 you feel he is going to add to that tally. Made a decent start to life in England

Centre Forward:
    Andrew Cole. I dont want to upset him so I call him Andrew. One half of probably one of the best strike partnerships the Epl has ever seen I hope he can link up as well with pod and rooney. Second highest all time scorer as well

So thats my players. My gameplan will be simple. Try and control possession and create chances for the likes of cole, podolski and rooney. In my two centre mids and rooney I have some of the best passers in the league and in cole I have a striker or is capable of putting the ball in the net. My two centre backs are first team players at Arsenal and Man Utd. Two top 4 sides. My right back is the first choice at a side pushing for top 4, likely top 6 finishers and my goal keeper is looking at a top 8 finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Apologies, completely forgot about this. Not even sure how we got through given the votes. Here's my lads anyway -

Goalkeeper: Solid. Szczesny is young and very talented so I don't envisage too many problems here. One of the best in the league imo.

Full backs: Pablo Zabaleta is a model of consistency, and has been the Player of the Season so far for many City fans. He's dependable, plays with a great attitude, and is a great defender. Perfect. On the other side, Marc Wilson exhibits a lot of the same qualities as Zab and has been quietly going about his business as a firm first choice at Stoke. Once he gets back from injury he'll be back in again no doubt.

Centre halves: The captain of the reigning Premier League Champions will skipper my side. Kompany is arguably the best centre back in the league so it's a no brainer to have in there. Alongside him, Gary Cahill is recognised as a very good player by Chelsea fans who would rather him start than the likes of David Luiz. No nonsense with the ability to score the odd spectacular goal.

Central midfielders: Mohamed Diame arrived at West Ham on a free transfer from Wigan and his impace on the game against Chelsea on Saturday showed just what a bargain the Hammers got. Strong, tenacious, good on the ball with a great engine, he is a super player. He'll sit nicely in front of the back, allowing Osman and Arteta to get forward and form a front five. Both of those players have shhown an eye for goal in the past, while Arteta provides a real threat from dead balls. The balance between the three is excellent.

Wingers: Marc Overmars was awesome in his time at Arsenal . My other wide man is Seb Larsson and he is up there with the best deliverers of a cross or dead ball. Can play off both feet when needed like Overmars so offers the option of switching wings as needed.

Striker: One of the few beacons of light in Sunderland's season so far, Fletcher has consistently scored goals in the Premier League despite never playing for a very good team. Over 30 goals in three seasons with Sunderland, Wolves and Burnley, imagine what he could do with a better quality of player giving him the service...

Variety: Rather than speaking specifically about tactics, there's one thing I've always had in mind when picking my team and that's the ability to change the shape of the team as needed.

The first obvious move is to allow Larsson and Overmars a licence to switch wings. Both can play on their weaker foot so will be comfortable on either side.

Secondly, Diame's dynamism will allow both full backs to push on as he drops between Kompany and Cahill to provide cover. Zabaleta in particular likes to get forward and can often be found ahead of the winger for City in the opposition penalty area. This adds another dimension to the attack. Wilson has also displayed this ability to push forward with Stoke, and also with Ireland as his recent goal shows.

With the full backs getting forward, I fancy us to peg back any opposition team on the wings.

Here's the starting formation:

abDKPipaou.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Incognito Man
    Has to be Xavi for me, Incognito has a good attack but he defense just looks too weak. I'd have been even more in favour of Xavi if he had a 4-1-3-2 formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Incognito man for me. Xavi has the better d with the exception of rcb (close though). Incognitos midfield and attack just seem better for me though. Rooney dropping into mid to attack from deep supported by 2 good midielders ad with the front three he has does it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Incognito Man
    I think Xavi as well. Although he hasn't got as potent an attack his centre midfield three will clog the the opposition's which will find it hard to retain possession and distribute well. While Lennon may give a good option on the left to stretch the midfield, he will leave the left exposed for Zab/Larsson to get behind. With a much more solid defence behind him and with good width options, Xavi should pick up a win here, albeit not a prolific one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Incognito for me, I don't think Xavi attack is good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Incognoto man just about for me, I think he has more goals. Rooney playing in his best position where he will dictate the game is key imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

And that means Incognito Man wins by one vote. Unlucky Xavi.

Advertisement