Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500ml Brown Glass Beer Bottles Wanted

Options
  • 09-12-2012 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

I do a bit of home brewing and I'm looking for some brown 500ml glass bottles. Hoping to have a selection of the same or similar bottles so looking for;
    • O'Hara's
    • Galway Hooker
    • O'Shea's (ALDI)

brown_bottle.jpg

So if anyone in Galway City is drinking these regularly I'll offer 20c per empy bottle so you'll get something back and it's a much more efficient way to recycle your bottles! ;) PM to arrange details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

dammit, had loads but im off the beer so all gone to bottle bank

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

i am also doing some home brewing and looking for bottles. the bottles i am looking for are swing top ones. i think they are best for you also. do you have reusable caps for these bottles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

evoke wrote: »
    the bottles i am looking for are swing top ones. i think they are best for you also. do you have reusable caps for these bottles?

Yes would also be very interested in swing-tops. More likely to get these, no the caps are single use but are cheap (2c each) and will be picking up a capper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Caps and Capper.

i think the swing top bottles are the job. They look really professional. only starting to use them tomorrow properly. Also there is less wast since you reuse the tops.

just my opinion. maybe try the beer house next to the roisin? They might through out some of there bottles instead of sending them back to the manufacturer.

did you go to the home brewing in 091 labs?

• Advertisement

evoke wrote: »
    did you go to the home brewing in 091 labs?

Yeah was at the first Galway home brewers club meeting in 091 labs but was too busy with college thesis to get back since and Wednesday evenings are busy for me. Hoping to drop into the Christmas meet this coming Friday for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Gone to the great gig in the bottle bank here as well i'm afraid. i'll hold them from now on as long as you still need them.

Tyskie bottles do you too? Just sent a stack to the bottle bank but I can hold onto them in future if they are any good to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭RINO87

They have the swingtop bottles in homebrew west in the liosban estate. have 24 pints of stout maturing in them at the moment. should be ready just in time for christmas day!!

Tyskie bottles do you too? Just sent a stack to the bottle bank but I can hold onto them in future if they are any good to you

Thanks for the offer but they look to be a different shape bottle. I'm hoping to have a collection that's the same. Also missing the small inward lip on the front that will hold a label in place. Thanks though.

RINO87 wrote: »
    They have the swingtop bottles in homebrew west in the liosban estate. have 24 pints of stout maturing in them at the moment. should be ready just in time for christmas day!!

They do but they're expensive for empty bottles @ €1.25 each.

• Advertisement

J o e wrote: »

i agree. especially when people are throwing them out. I have also asked in work in athlone for any one. Have any person in dublin keeping the swing top bottles for me. Just need to get a network of people going.

Once i have enough i was going to start collecting them for the home brew club in galway. donate it to them.

just need the swing top bottle network first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I know the 091Labs were looking to get rid of some bottles recently - no idea if they might have been the type you're looking for though.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I know the 091Labs were looking to get rid of some bottles recently - no idea if they might have been the type you're looking for though.

will be going to the friday home brew event. Will ask on friday if they want me to donate any more bottles if i find them.

Reminder on this - as the festive bottles build up! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry OP, this is just becoming an advert now. I'm moving it to Homebrewing so I don't have to close it.

You may as well close it biko - fairly pointless in here now. It was aimed at people in Galway City who might have bottles they're throwing out - not at home brewers who themselves will be saving bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Paying for peoples bottles is an advert, not allowed on Galway boards. I left it for a while to be nice but then you bumped it.
    Maybe the people in Brewing will know good places to get bottles, even in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I pm'd you last week offering you a stack of them, I read this thread and kept them aside for you, I even kept all the twist-caps, but no answer back :confused:

Didn't want any money for them, just wanted to help out a fellow Boardsie.

Anyway, they're all recycled now at this stage.

Oh sorry Col200sx I thought I had replied to that, they're the wrong type of bottle unfortunately. I'm not able to recap the twist-caps. Thanks for the offer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Oh sorry Col200sx I thought I had replied to that, they're the wrong type of bottle unfortunately. I'm not able to recap the twist-caps. Thanks for the offer though!

No, no reply. No problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

They are the cheapest *anywhere*. I have looked around the UK stores and they are not even close to that price.

Your best bet is to make some of the galway home brew club meetings. It is quite common for home brewers to standardise on bottles for presentation and practicality, and you could do an exchange with others who have built up a surplus of other types.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

also pay a visit to a few pubs that stock 500ml brown btls and ask them if they have and empty btls.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Any of the pubs (Oslo, Salthouse, Cottage etc) that serve micro brewed beer should have a regular surplus of those type of bottles.

Thanks for the suggestions ;) - I thought the pubs returned those bottles?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Thanks for the suggestions ;) - I thought the pubs returned those bottles?
    No, 9 times out of 10 it's the bottle bank.

My local bottle banks everything except Bulmers/Guinness pint bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

Hey Joe, Take a look here. You never know you might get lucky in terms of location.

Advertisement