Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Casserole

Options
  • 09-12-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was hoping that someone might have a receipe for a chicken casserole? Ideally I'd love one that includes potatoes in it, but I'm not entirely sure if that is possible. I'm a complete newbie to cooking but am determined to learn some love winter warmer receipies now over Christmas :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Thanks Chucken!

The only other thing then is if I wanted to add potatoes to any of them like Darina Allens casserole, could I add them into the dish before its done? Or would that ruin it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I would usually add the potatoes about 20-30 minutes before the casserole is cooked.

Some people might put them in at the start. That way some of the potatoes will thicken the casserole as they break up.

It will depend on yourself and how soft you like your spuds ;)

Chucken wrote: »
    I would usually add the potatoes about 20-30 minutes before the casserole is cooked.

Some people might put them in at the start. That way some of the potatoes will thicken the casserole as they break up.

It will depend on yourself and how soft you like your spuds ;)

Thanks for that Chucken, exactly what I wanted to hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Hi, if you want a really simple basic recipe you could try this:

I use a large stockpot, heat some oil
    chuck in 4 chicken legs or thighs (or just 2 if they're large, you'll get 2 generous helpings out of this, or 4 if you use 4!)
    Slice a large onion or shallots and put them in
    put in whatever frozen veg I have ie peas, carrots, green beans, sometimes I'll add some mushrooms if I've got some left over
    fry them all off
    add a bit of white wine if you want/have some but it's not essential,
    then put in 2 tablespoons of plain flour, 600ml of stock (chicken/veg, whatever your preference) simmer it for a while,
    then I put in some potatoes, peeled and chopped to my preference,
    put the lid on the stockpot, stick it in the oven at 160 for about an hour & 15 and it's done, I usually get 2 nights dinners for meself and himself, it's lovely and tasty and pretty easy
    I got the stockpot from Dunnes it was only 16 euro and it's brilliant, I also use the above recipe with stewing beef and use red wine instead of white or some Guiness, whatever, it's a bit of a 'chuck in what you've got/fancy' type recipe but always works!!

• Advertisement

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Hi, if you want a really simple basic recipe you could try this:

I use a large stockpot, heat some oil
    chuck in 4 chicken legs or thighs (or just 2 if they're large, you'll get 2 generous helpings out of this, or 4 if you use 4!)
    Slice a large onion or shallots and put them in
    put in whatever frozen veg I have ie peas, carrots, green beans, sometimes I'll add some mushrooms if I've got some left over
    fry them all off
    add a bit of white wine if you want/have some but it's not essential,
    then put in 2 tablespoons of plain flour, 600ml of stock (chicken/veg, whatever your preference) simmer it for a while,
    then I put in some potatoes, peeled and chopped to my preference,
    put the lid on the stockpot, stick it in the oven at 160 for about an hour & 15 and it's done, I usually get 2 nights dinners for meself and himself, it's lovely and tasty and pretty easy
    I got the stockpot from Dunnes it was only 16 euro and it's brilliant, I also use the above recipe with stewing beef and use red wine instead of white or some Guiness, whatever, it's a bit of a 'chuck in what you've got/fancy' type recipe but always works!!

Thanks a million Tranceypoo, that sounds absolutely gorgeous!

Advertisement