Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What jobs do GAA players have?

Options
  • 09-12-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Is it true that the majority of GAA inter county players all have decent jobs. Are there any players that never had a job or players that are unemployed at the moment.

I have been led to believe that they all work in good jobs. Any truth in this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jaysusREF

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Clare captain a couple of years ago had to emigrate cause of unemployment, I would say that it's far from believing that they all work in good jobs, if anything I would say that they have to put their careers on hold while they are playing inter-county because of the sacrifices that are required at the level.

If you were to ask me what I thought the most common professions would be for players I would say teachers, guards, sales reps or students.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

8 teachers on our club 1st 15

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

Garda, Teachers and there a lot of Army as far as i know. Those three would be the dominant professions I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

Mostly what Clareman said, and I'd add banker to that. Players make good sales reps due to their profile but many have been laid off in the past three years, JJ Delaney being one.

Being an inter-county star can certainly help get a job, but it doesn't guarantee a job.

• Advertisement

I am sure one of the Kerry players is a Solicitor or Law Student too.

The reason i started this thread was because a work colleague (not a friend) put it to me that all GAA players must have good jobs otherwise they would not be allowed play for there county. He also reckons the GAA discriminate against the smaller clubs from areas that would be known as rough. He said 'there are no players from Tallaght, Summerhill, Sheriff Street or Ballyfermot on the Dublin team'.

I think, when he says good job, he means high paid job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There was the old joke about the GAA player guaranteed a good job in the bank.

But that's was a long time ago and working for a bank isn't the safe, secure job it once was

But still there are plenty working as financial advisors.
    Once they have the knowledge they also have a profile, any little edge in sales helps

I saw AIB have a picture of a beaming Brendan Cummins in our local paper. Come on in and chat and Brendan will sell you some products

I'm fairly sure Nicky English was very high up in AIB Investment Management. Sales side of it

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

kilograms wrote: »

The reason i started this thread was because a work colleague (not a friend) put it to me that all GAA players must have good jobs otherwise they would not be allowed play for there county. He also reckons the GAA discriminate against the smaller clubs from areas that would be known as rough. He said 'there are no players from Tallaght, Summerhill, Sheriff Street or Ballyfermot on the Dublin team'.

He is an idiot, picking two areas and two streets is ridiculous. There are no players from most areas on the Dublin team, it's a massive area and a small team. As it happens 3 players in the squad from Ballymun kickhams, a couple from temp/synge street playing out of dolphins barn etc etc etc. players from any and all areas are in Dublin teams, nothing matters except for how well you play and your training and health discipline.

Smaller teams struggle to get players into county sides as they often don't field a senior team so their players aren't playing at a high level to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

Obviously there are exceptions with Stephen Lucey, a Limerick dual star, played for his county, university, U 21 and pursued a medical degree being one hard working man, but I'm pretty sure that in one of the Kilkenny/Tipperary finals, only about three players out of the thirty that started weren't teachers, bankers, sales reps or students.

I don't really understand where your work colleague gets that idea, lots of players work in Dublin and commute, or some, like Kieren McGeeney, played his club football in Dublin and for Armagh. There is politics in every county, and some clubs will always be under-represented. I don't know much about Dublin's clubs, but when did a club from any of those areas last win a county championship or do well in the championship? We'll have to wait for next year to see if Ballymun is under-represented on the Dublin team given that the club has won the Leinster championship.

The chap is a total idiot, i just wasn't to sure on the professions of players myself and i do not like getting deep into discussions when i do not have knowledge on the subject.

That's a good point that there are loads of areas without representation on the Dublin team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

A lot of them back in the boom were in banks and teachers, nowadays the banking isnt as secure but there remains a lot of GAA teachers around, but whats very unfair is a lot of them walk straight into the job with no qualifications, starting with a few hours cash in hand until eventually they are staff, and all because they were handy with a hurley when they were in school (a lot go back to their own school) and with a slap on the back they are given a job while the person who slaved away with their HDip is refused a position because the local GAA head is teaching religion from a book.

Im sure a lot of them nowadays are struggling but how many "high profile" GAA stars for example John Mullane, Lar Corbett etc have had to emigrate? I cant see the Brogan brothers ever having to emigrate as they, like others (Example Sean Og) have cashed in on the whole celebrity nature of being in the GAA with their appearances etc and modelling clothes. Nobody outside Ireland knows of or cares about GAA players so the ones with ego are brought back to earth when they emigrate. Its a curious Irish thing that we look after our amateur sports players..:confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

A lot of them back in the boom were in banks and teachers, nowadays the banking isnt as secure but there remains a lot of GAA teachers around, but whats very unfair is a lot of them walk straight into the job with no qualifications, starting with a few hours cash in hand until eventually they are staff, and all because they were handy with a hurley when they were in school (a lot go back to their own school) and with a slap on the back they are given a job while the person who slaved away with their HDip is refused a position because the local GAA head is teaching religion from a book.

Im sure a lot of them nowadays are struggling but how many "high profile" GAA stars for example John Mullane, Lar Corbett etc have had to emigrate? I cant see the Brogan brothers ever having to emigrate as they, like others (Example Sean Og) have cashed in on the whole celebrity nature of being in the GAA with their appearances etc and modelling clothes. Nobody outside Ireland knows of or cares about GAA players so the ones with ego are brought back to earth when they emigrate. Its a curious Irish thing that we look after our amateur sports players..:confused:

Wtf?

Bearnard Brogan is a Chartered accountant, working on tax for years and recently setup his own professional service and sports agency with his cousin who is a solicitor.

Alan is a sales account manager for the printed image. They work hard as well as being semi-pro amateurs.

Modelling clothes and a couple of appearances hardly sets you up for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Eoin Brosnan is a solicitor in Killarney.

There's been a fair few intercounty stars how have had to emigrate and there are more than a few intercounty stars on the dole. Obviously I'm not going to name anyone but your work colleague is talking rubbish. The notion that any manager is going to discriminate against a player because of their job or lack of one is crazy.

Also there has long been a historic issue within Dublin GAA about the selection of players from only among the bigger name clubs.

There was an article related to Ballymun Kickhams in the paper recently and they were saying how poor Dublin GAA were in lots of working class areas where soccer would historically be the main game.

The most significant change in over the last 20/30 years has been the massive decrease in farmers at the highest level.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

At least some of those who are playing Aussie Rules are there because its a job that pays.

Tommy Walsh who won Young Footballer of the Year is playing with Sydney Swans. Marty Clarke from Down went back to the AFL because it was his best option job wise. Those are two pretty high profile GAA players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

were you talking to someone in a pub tonight bud that told you what you wanted to hear? sounds that way anyway. or else you have a major chip on your shoulder.;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's important to remember that a lot of the work behind getting a job is networking and using your contacts (it's all about who you know and all that), this is why Linkedin is so successful, in Ireland 1 of the largest networks is the GAA, if you think about it if you are on a team you know at least 14 other people and have an in into where they work, add in their partners and family you're growing even more, the GAA is a brilliant tool to help people get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Clareman wrote: »
    It's important to remember that a lot of the work behind getting a job is networking and using your contacts (it's all about who you know and all that), this is why Linkedin is so successful, in Ireland 1 of the largest networks is the GAA, if you think about it if you are on a team you know at least 14 other people and have an in into where they work, add in their partners and family you're growing even more, the GAA is a brilliant tool to help people get a job.

Quoted for truth. Especially when travelling abroad. There are GAA clubs all over the world and if you transfer to a club in a different country they will always help you get set up be it with accomodation, a job or just helpful advice about the area.

washman3 wrote: »
    were you talking to someone in a pub tonight bud that told you what you wanted to hear? sounds that way anyway. or else you have a major chip on your shoulder.;)

No chip, buddy, just stating the facts, there are at least 4 teachers I know of that started in their old schools on cash in hand part time and after a year or two are full time staff now, all helped by the principals hurrying the process along because of their hurling past, whilst new and qualified teachers miss out. The Brogan brothers may work hard but they do milk the whole "celebrity" side of the game big time, they are constantly doing fashion shoots, nightclub events etc, all the better to get their name out there when the hurling dries up and they need contacts. How come we never hear of the other Dublin hurling team members, it just seems to be Brogan over and over again.

Being in the hurling circle definitely helps you get a job, but that doesnt make it right..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭elefant

No chip, buddy, just stating the facts, there are at least 4 teachers I know of that started in their old schools on cash in hand part time and after a year or two are full time staff now, all helped by the principals hurrying the process along because of their hurling past, whilst new and qualified teachers miss out. The Brogan brothers may work hard but they do milk the whole "celebrity" side of the game big time, they are constantly doing fashion shoots, nightclub events etc, all the better to get their name out there when the hurling dries up and they need contacts. How come we never hear of the other Dublin hurling team members, it just seems to be Brogan over and over again.

Being in the hurling circle definitely helps you get a job, but that doesnt make it right..

The Brogans are on the football team...

seems they obviously haven't been marketting their images well enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

The Brogan brothers may work hard but they do milk the whole "celebrity" side of the game big time, they are constantly doing fashion shoots, nightclub events etc, all the better to get their name out there when the hurling dries up and they need contacts. How come we never hear of the other Dublin hurling team members, it just seems to be Brogan over and over again.

I hear you brother ;) - they aren't even good hurlers which is so unfair to the rest of the Dublin hurling team members - although I think Bernard has an Under 21 B hurling medal.... Wish there was a proper emoticon to convey my outrage - where's Zach's buddy Cormac when you need him..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Trolling id say or just a muppett!

Ok my bad, fair enough, I hold my hand up and say I got my hurling and football mixed up there, stupid!:rolleyes:

But my points do remain valid though, they seem to be the face of the team with all their promotions and interviews etc, in a similar fashion Lar Corbett for Tipp and Henry Shefflin for KK, its a bit sickening to see how some of them lord it around the place like they are A1 celebrities or something. I know a lot of them are struggling to work, but in the case of teachers they have the advatage of walking back to their own school into a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Ok my bad, fair enough, I hold my hand up and say I got my hurling and football mixed up there, stupid!:rolleyes:

But my points do remain valid though, they seem to be the face of the team with all their promotions and interviews etc, in a similar fashion Lar Corbett for Tipp and Henry Shefflin for KK, its a bit sickening to see how some of them lord it around the place like they are A1 celebrities or something. I know a lot of them are struggling to work, but in the case of teachers they have the advatage of walking back to their own school into a job.

For those wondering Bernard Brogan hurled for Dublin at Minor level and does have an U21B Hurling medal with his club, but is on the senior football team now.

Really makes me laugh when people criticize lads for trying to make a living. They are not modelling clothes or products for themselves, so there is obviously a demand there. If someone came to you and offered you a few pound to turn up here or there would you say no? I doubt it. Bernard has an accounting degree from Maynooth and a masters from DCU. He has studied to be a chartered accountant and gives up 5 or 6 days a week to train on the field and in the gym to represent his county. Anyone who begrudges him or anyone else what they get in return for that is bitter.

Companies want who they want and thats it. If they want Corbett or Shefflin they will ask for them over some of the lesser known lads, thats not their fault is it? Any negativity towards the lads is fuelled by jealousy.

In regards professions in general I would say Teacher, Students, Reps, Guards, Army and bankers would probably be the majority. Probably a lot of farmers too on country teams with the odd personal trainer and physio etc. Fair dues to them. If companies have money to pay them in these times then let them make hay while the sun shines I say.

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    For those wondering Bernard Brogan hurled for Dublin at Minor level and does have an U21B Hurling medal with his club, but is on the senior football team now.

Really makes me laugh when people criticize lads for trying to make a living. They are not modelling clothes or products for themselves, so there is obviously a demand there. If someone came to you and offered you a few pound to turn up here or there would you say no? I doubt it. Bernard has an accounting degree from Maynooth and a masters from DCU. He has studied to be a chartered accountant and gives up 5 or 6 days a week to train on the field and in the gym to represent his county. Anyone who begrudges him or anyone else what they get in return for that is bitter.

Companies want who they want and thats it. If they want Corbett or Shefflin they will ask for them over some of the lesser known lads, thats not their fault is it? Any negativity towards the lads is fuelled by jealousy.

In regards professions in general I would say Teacher, Students, Reps, Guards, Army and bankers would probably be the majority. Probably a lot of farmers too on country teams with the odd personal trainer and physio etc. Fair dues to them. If companies have money to pay them in these times then let them make hay while the sun shines I say.

So if you studied your backside off for a HDip in Higher Education and went aroud looking for jobs, only to find out John from the local GAA team walked into a job with a hearty slap on the back into full time teaching and a cushy job for life, simply because of who he was, would you still say "Fair play to him?". I doubt it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Berno?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

very few farmers make it on to county teams these days due to the time involved in training. As already said guards and teachers are they big two type of jobs, followed by banking. A lot of GAA mangers went into the property business abroad as well as at home during the boom. There is a lot of GAA personalities who owe the banks big sums, which they seem in no hurry to pay back, so the state will likely pick up the tab for these millions. Some of these would do a lot of work for the public funded RTE so they seem to be well looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

wonder88 wrote: »
    very few farmers make it on to county teams these days due to the time involved in training. As already said guards and teachers are they big two type of jobs, followed by banking. A lot of GAA mangers went into the property business abroad as well as at home during the boom. There is a lot of GAA personalities who owe the banks big sums, which they seem in no hurry to pay back, so the state will likely pick up the tab for these millions. Some of these would do a lot of work for the public funded RTE so they seem to be well looked after.
    Colm O'Rourke once said every team needs a farmer about the great Liam O'Flaherty, he wasn't wrong, Tomás Mannion, Bernard Morris, all centre backs if I recall correctly, no surprise there.

So if you studied your backside off for a HDip in Higher Education and went aroud looking for jobs, only to find out John from the local GAA team walked into a job with a hearty slap on the back into full time teaching and a cushy job for life, simply because of who he was, would you still say "Fair play to him?". I doubt it..

I work in a profession that is all about who you know and not what you know so i am used to it. And that has nothing to do with Gaa. In saying that i see your point, but given bernard brogans qualifications etc I think he is a bad example of a person who got something for nothing purely based on who he is and not what he is capable of.

I am sure there are a few farmers up and down the country who play gaa. Even the Best brothers (Simon & Rory) managed to juggle pro rugby at provincial and international level with running a farm so it can be done.

I work in a profession that is all about who you know and not what you know so i am used to it. And that has nothing to do with Gaa. In saying that i see your point, but given bernard brogans qualifications etc I think he is a bad example of a person who got something for nothing purely based on who he is and not what he is capable of.

I am sure there are a few farmers up and down the country who play gaa. Even the Best brothers (Simon & Rory) managed to juggle pro rugby at provincial and international level with running a farm so it can be done.

What is your profession out of interest? I know a lot of places work on who you are rather than what you bring to the table but its particularly galling to see some GAA players walk into jobs which clearly require a specific qualification and basically give the two fingers to people who toe the party line. I will say though, banking isnt exactly a glamorous profession, im willing to bet i earn a lot more in my job than they ever do in their banking jobs, Im not sure where the ides of banking being a cushy number came from...

• Advertisement

What is your profession out of interest? I know a lot of places work on who you are rather than what you bring to the table but its particularly galling to see some GAA players walk into jobs which clearly require a specific qualification and basically give the two fingers to people who toe the party line. I will say though, banking isnt exactly a glamorous profession, im willing to bet i earn a lot more in my job than they ever do in their banking jobs, Im not sure where the ides of banking being a cushy number came from...

My profession is not really important. I was just saying that its the norm regardless of what people work at or do away from work to experience favoritism based on who they know. By no means exclusive to the gaa. Tis the way of the world.

I also think its impossible to say that banking is not a cushy number. It depends on what you are doing & the level of responsibility that goes with it. I can say i have worked with 2 different banks & i had a cushy number in both. So much so i can honestly say i was getting a lot more than i deserved for doing the jobs i was doing. In one of the jobs the OT rates were rediculous. Could pay half my mortgage by working a Saturday without breaking a sweat.

Advertisement