Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which watch to use?

• 09-12-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been running for a few years now, Ive been using the Garmin forerunner 305. Its a quality watch, but the battery is starting to go and its only lasting around 90 minutes no matter how long the charge.

now im thinking of doing a marathon next year so Ill need a watch that lasts longer.

What would people recommend? not too expensive.

the fields I only really use in my training are:

Current pace
    Average pace
    last lap time.
    Total time.
    Total distance.

So long as the watch has those, I'll be ok. (they dont have to be on the same screen, I swap between on the garmin).

Cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

event wrote: »
    Ive been running for a few years now, Ive been using the Garmin forerunner 305. Its a quality watch, but the battery is starting to go and its only lasting around 90 minutes no matter how long the charge.

now im thinking of doing a marathon next year so Ill need a watch that lasts longer.

What would people recommend? not too expensive.

the fields I only really use in my training are:

Current pace
    Average pace
    last lap time.
    Total time.
    Total distance.

So long as the watch has those, I'll be ok. (they dont have to be on the same screen, I swap between on the garmin).

Cheers all

Garmin FR10 ticks all those boxes for you. If you have any interest in heart rate training it won't be of use and you'd be better off looking at one of the Polar range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

For the Garmin FR10 the choices are as follows (they come in pairs, you can’t get one without the other, pick two pairs):

- Time/Distance
    - Time/Pace (current)
    - Time/Calories
    - Pace/Distance
    - Pace/Calories
    - Distance/Calories

Can't see last lap time there anywhere. Personally I would love to get a polar like the RC3 but big con is No lap average pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

If you want HRM compatibility then the Forerunner 210 fits the bill. It can display three fields at a time:

Total distance.
    Total time
    Current pace/Average pace

You will have to choose between Current Pace and Average Pace before you set off as you can't cycle between the two as you go.

Once you've set your interval e.g every mile then the phone will beep at every mile and display you Last Lap time for a number of seconds than revert back to the usual display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just to add to the mix, the Forerunner 410 (with HRM) is currently £145 (sterling) on Amazon.co.uk. Occasionally Amazon will drop the price down to £135, but even at £145, it's pretty good value. They sell the watch without the HRM for £183.55, so it's a pretty good deal! It has all of the fields you require, but can only display three data fields at any one time. The watch uses a touch-sensitive bezel to navigate the menus, which can be a bit of a pain (particularly navigating the menus or changing data screens while running), so if you use all five fields that you listed during your training, you would be better off buying something with 'hard buttons' that allow you to switch between data screens, which would restrict your number of choices.

The 310xt is the successor to your 305, and has a battery-life of approximately 20 hours, but will set you back £170 (sterling). The 310 seems to be cheaper than the 210, and offers a lot more functionality (and is waterproof, longer battery life etc) so would seem to be a better purchase, if the 410 doesn't fit the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I am in the same situation as you. My 305 is getting a little past its best before date. The battery life is going and I am having problem with the USB connection.

Although you dont use many of the features, if you intend to run a marathon, it would be a pity to buy a bottom of the range watch and regret it.

If you can afford it, Krusty is right ( of course), a 410 or a 310xt is the way to go. you might want some of the extra features when your marathon training gets going.

BTW, I think my not very subtle hint was taken and Santa might be bringing me a 410.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

In a moment of madness I went all out and asked Santa for the 610....sure you might aswell if you can afford it! It's an investment says he.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

statss wrote: »
    In a moment of madness I went all out and asked Santa for the 610....sure you might aswell if you can afford it! It's an investment says he.....
    Having a 610 for a good while I regret I didn't get a 910xt instead, not for swimming but the touch screen and gloves don't work and the lack of breadcrumb trail support means that you can't upload a trail into it as you can with the 910xt. There are a few other things also. The 910xt displays 4 fields too if you need it to. I think it has a longer battery life too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

rom wrote: »
    Having a 610 for a good while I regret I didn't get a 910xt instead, not for swimming but the touch screen and gloves don't work and the lack of breadcrumb trail support means that you can't upload a trail into it as you can with the 910xt. There are a few other things also. The 910xt displays 4 fields too if you need it to. I think it has a longer battery life too.

there's a limit to what santa can bring me....ha....having run all my races & training so far without a watch I'm sure the 610 will do just fine for me

Advertisement