Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New IPAD

• 09-12-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

My sister is getting an IPAD from the US. I have had an IPAD for 2 years and have lots of apps etc.
    As she's a bit short on money would she be better registering it under my account so she can get all my apps.
    Is this a good idea?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

She has the money for an iPad, but not for apps?:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's not a good idea in the long run. It's better that she has her own Apple ID.

It is possible to share apps with family members using different IDs. It's called Home Sharing. Not a lot of people know about it since it's kind of confusing to get set-up. Even Apple don't explain it properly. But I'd recommend looking into that rather than going down the same ID route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

It's not a good idea in the long run. It's better that she has her own Apple ID.

It is possible to share apps with family members using different IDs. It's called Home Sharing. Not a lot of people know about it since it's kind of confusing to get set-up. Even Apple don't explain it properly. But I'd recommend looking into that rather than going down the same ID route.

Home sharing isn't "sharing apps" -its sharing media on your various devices.

It is much better that she also has her own ID, but that doesn't stop a person sharing apps -for example I myself am clearly doing it since I own 4 iPhones and 4 iPads.

It is perfectly possible to have an Apple ID globally for this iPad but use the other existing one for the AppStore only. That's currently the way mine is set up.

However, the OP would be diddling developers out of money where apps are chargeable. Remember, hundreds of apps are free and the rest are for the most part, very cheap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Home Sharing isn't just for media, it works for apps as well. I've done it.

http://www.technologytell.com/apple/60421/share-your-iphone-apps-via-home-sharing/

Home Sharing isn't just for media, it works for apps as well. I've done it.

http://www.technologytell.com/apple/60421/share-your-iphone-apps-via-home-sharing/

Well, clearly, we are both "sharing apps" simply by entering the same account details on any number of devices. I have installed the same app on way beyond 5 devices without issue. The only problem seems to occur once a purchase is made in a second AppStore account -the device can then be restricted to that account only for the next 90 days.

Home Sharing, as such, appears under the music and video tabs in settings and is, in my opinion, only supposed to refer to the phenomenon of accessing your various libraries while in the same network, be that on an iPad or Apple TV. As, for, apps automatic downloads covers that, once logged in to the same account -but no need to be on the same network. It's a fine line, in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,332 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

megapixel wrote: »
    My sister is getting an IPAD from the US. I have had an IPAD for 2 years and have lots of apps etc.
    As she's a bit short on money would she be better registering it under my account so she can get all my apps.
    Is this a good idea?

How does that work ?

culabula wrote: »
    Well, clearly, we are both "sharing apps" simply by entering the same account details on any number of devices. I have installed the same app on way beyond 5 devices without issue. The only problem seems to occur once a purchase is made in a second AppStore account -the device can then be restricted to that account only for the next 90 days.

Home Sharing, as such, appears under the music and video tabs in settings and is, in my opinion, only supposed to refer to the phenomenon of accessing your various libraries while in the same network, be that on an iPad or Apple TV. As, for, apps automatic downloads covers that, once logged in to the same account -but no need to be on the same network. It's a fine line, in any case.

Yeah, but the Home Sharing solution would allow the OP to share apps with his sister without her having to use the same Apple ID or computer as he does. It's a better option for families. I've successfully shared apps with my mother this way and she's shared movies with me, while both using our own separate iTunes accounts.

Yeah, but the Home Sharing solution would allow the OP to share apps with his sister without her having to use the same Apple ID or computer as he does. It's a better option for families. I've successfully shared apps with my mother this way and she's shared movies with me, while both using our own separate iTunes accounts.

I see. Very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    How does that work ?

Why does it bloody matter?!

OP, I've done it loads of times onto my girlfriends phone as well as mine, works fine, it's just when you want to update the app that it'll give her hassle as shed need to be logged in as you. It'll do the job until she gets her own one set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Does her iCloud backup and store your Apps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

kceire wrote: »
    Does her iCloud backup and store your Apps?

I don't know about iCloud but any apps I've got from the girlfriends account was backed up on my iTunes. I lost my 4S last week :( but all my apps (including the top scores and everything else!) were there when I got a loaner iPhone!

It's handy for us though, we've both accounts on both our phones. No point in both of us paying for the app if we don't have to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

This is like the people who have the money for a car but don't have the money to tax or insure it.

Advertisement